5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you.
Published on 31 Jan 2012 by D. Edwards

3.0 out of 5 stars 24
I assume that somewhere around series 8, some production clown in Kudos had the bright idea of realigning the programme? Maybe targeting the American market and/or a younger (teenage?) audience? That's the only explanation I can think of for the change in style.

All that was achieved for me personally was to downgrade a superb series. Series ten continues...
Published 24 months ago by R. C. Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you., 31 Jan 2012
D. Edwards (West Allis, WI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spooks - Series 10 [DVD] (DVD)
Having discovered Spooks accidentally and quickly realizing how good it really was, every year became a waiting game for when I could order the current series. Some waits were much longer than others, but after 10 series of the utmost quality we'll never see it's like again. This show opened my eyes to what television could be given creators who are willing to push boundaries and risk killing off beloved cast members, all while telling highly intelligent dramatic stories. It would be easy to dismiss the revolving leads as a novelty but any one who's watched the show understands how quickly you become attached to the characters and some goodbyes became more powerful than others. All of them mattered in their own way and this is due to the entire creative staff, from the show creators to the writers to the actors and to the directors (and many more). In the end they took away something and gave us something else. (If you've seen the last episode you understand this.) Thank you for it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fitting Farewell, 31 Oct 2011
Rosemary (Geneva, Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spooks - Series 10 [DVD] (DVD)
I had wondered somewhat uneasily whether the writers, cast and crew of 'Spooks' would be able to create a conclusion that would match the still (after ten years!) high standards of this show, but my apprehension turned out to be unfounded. Yes, the quality within this series is uneven. I thoroughly enjoyed episodes 1 and 2, 5 and 6. The third and fourth episodes , while certainly not bad, and with a lot of redeeming features, suffered a little from focusing on the new section chief, Erin Watts (Lara Pulver) and the other field officer, Dmitri Levendis (Max Brown). The fact that they did is, in my opinion, entirely due to the two actors concerned, who were woefully miscast. I should say in fairness that Geoffrey Streatfield, who plays Callum, the other newcomer, is a different kettle of fish. He quickly grew on me - the character has a similar dry wit to Ros Myers, and I think I would have enjoyed him had the series continued. But Max Brown is desperately wooden, and seems to have a gift for becoming almost invisible on screen, even when he has it to himself. Lara Pulver's performance throughout is so poor as to be embarrassing; she reads her lines as if she was still at rehearsal, and alongside actors of the calibre of Nicola Walker and Peter Firth she looks like a first-year drama student, and a poor one at that. The gulf between her and the previous female Section Chief, Ros Myers, as played by Hermione Norris, is vast, and just rubs salt into the wound. Both she and Mr Brown are proof that casting someone for their looks rather than their acting ability is a sad mistake, and because of it, episodes 3 and 4 are the weakest in the run.

Fortunately, those actors' limitations didn't ruin the series because it concentrated mainly on the past and present of Harry Pearce. Peter Firth rises magnificently to the challenge; his acting, always reliably good, becomes breathtakingly so. He, Nicola Walker and the exquisite Simon Russell Beale as Home Secretary, give the series the sparkle that Mr Brown and Ms Pulver could otherwise have entirely drained from it. I was afraid the Harry and Ruth relationship would be allowed to turn the series into soap opera, but although it takes a prominent role, the writers were skilled enough to avoid that trap. Alice Krige, Jonathan Hyde and Tom Weston-Jones are all excellent as Elena, Ilya and Sasha Gavrik respectively.

The ending to the series has not been popular with everyone; I am one of those who feels it was the right ending and appropriate to the overall tone of the show. Whatever the faults and flaws (and yes, there are plot holes, but when have there not been in 'Spooks' if you want to look for them?) of the other episodes, the acting in the finale, and especially in the last ten to fifteen minutes, is outstanding. Very difficult to watch the last few scenes without a little lump in the throat.

I have given the series five stars because it kept me riveted to the screen, made me laugh, made me cry, and gave me the privilege of watching some of our finest actors at the top of their game. A fitting farewell to a TV series that I'm sure I won't be the only one to miss enormously. Thank goodness for box sets!

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry, We Hardly Know Ye, 3 Mar 2012
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Spooks - Series 10 [DVD] (DVD)
Harry Pearce, played by Peter Firth, may go down as the most universally liked/disliked secret agent man in the UK. We have seen him through ten years of espionage and secrets, and we have just begun to really know him. When MI-5 started in 2002, or Spooks as the UK knows this series, Harry Pearce was the head of Section D, a counter-terrorism division of the British Security Service. As the series ended, Harry was the head of Section D. We have been through a great deal, Dear Harry, and this does feel like a death in the family.

The tenth season starts with a planning of a strategic partnership between Russia and the UK. An old friend Ilya Gavrik played by Jonathan Hyde returns secretly to the UK, along with his wife, Elena, played by Alice Krige. Elena is one of the most beautiful of women, so fragile at times she looks like she could break. They come to the UK along with their son, Sasha, to form this new partnership. But, as always there are so many twists and turns within the Mi-5, we barely get the characters straight when they become unsettled. Harry, who has so many secrets inside of him, has many more to tell. Ruth Evershed, played so brilliantly and understated by Nicola Walker. Let me break here to mention that someone at some time must have said, why is Ruth's hair such a mess. She is mousy, but has such a pretty face and a good haircut would have done wonders. So, we know this is deliberate. All the other beautiful spies don't have to play off Ruth. Ruth keeps Harry honest, well, she tries. The Harry/Ruth relationship is the one true thing about this series. This series of six episodes are jam packed, and the episodes all deal with the Russian pact, but interspersed with other secret agents goings-ons. Each episode leads up to the big bang, so to speak, but along the way, little bits and drabs of information are shared. Oh, you are going to like this series.

There are other characters in this tenth series, but they are really just backdrop to Harry and Ruth. We do, however, remember all of the agents we loved and we reminisce, but none of these spooks do. This was a fitting farewell, I think. No, I will not give away anything. Suffice it to say, this is what had to occur. The writing is superb, the acting superb, the photography superb. One of my favorite series, really. Even though many spy thriller writers thought this series too far fetched, I bought into it. I knew Harry was there to make everything OK for us all, to fight evil and to show us a little bit of good in the world. However, Harry, we hardly knew ye.

Highly Recommended. prisrob 03-03-12

5.0 out of 5 stars Spooks 10, 21 Sep 2012
This review is from: Spooks - Series 10 [DVD] (DVD)
As with all the 'Spooks' series, this does not fail to satisfy. Such a pity that this is the very last one. Well the motto is 'quit while you're ahead' and this final series delivers in this way. Would thoroughly recommend without hesitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars SPOOKS - SERIES 10 (DVD), 17 July 2012
D. A. ROWLAND - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spooks - Series 10 [DVD] (DVD)
WHAT A GREAT DVD MY WIFE IS OVER THE MOON SHE SAYS THIS IS THE BEST SERIES PRODUCED BY THE BBC WE NOW HAVE THE COMPLETE SERIES AND ARE JUST GOING THROUGH SERIES 10 THEN WE WILL START ALL OVER AGAIN NEVER GETTING TIRED OF IT

4.0 out of 5 stars The final "Spook"tacular, 30 Oct 2011
tallpete33 (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Spooks - Series 10 [DVD] (DVD)
Spooks is a bit of an institution; superb propaganda for Blighty's secret service whilst also totally preposterous, tense, dramatic and highly entertaining all at once. This final series (a paltry six episodes, sadly) was the Harry and Ruth show as revelations of HP's murky past in Berlin come to the fore and Ruth questions her trust in the man who can barely trust himself.

Fittingly, for the series swansong, it's back to Cold War type as the Russians come to town looking to seal a bi-partisan information sharing deal, one that the CIA soon get wind of and find as appetising as a glass of warm Bud. The waters are further muddied by the Russian minister's wife, the fragrant Elena Gavrick with whom Harry shared his own "special relationship" all those years ago. He is totally compromised and begins to doubt the Americans with devastating consequences for everyone concerned.

The running storyline is top notch in this however the casting of the other agents is weak - no Roz Myers or Lucas North when you need one. This lot look like estate agents with toy guns, definitely out of their depth unfortunately with the producers relying on unlikely James Bond-like tech wizardry to do much of the instant "spooking" for them. No signal problems for these guys, even in the bowels of the American embassy and their "apps" run perfectly at all times. Some of the set pieces are a bit daft too but rubbish supporting roles aside, Ruth and Hazza still rule the roost and our old friend from the sea coming back to "mop up" in Moscow was a master stroke at the typically unhappy end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great End to a well missed series, 27 July 2013
This review is from: Spooks - Series 10 [DVD] (DVD)
Brilliant final series, if bit too short for dedicated fans (only 6 episodes!!)
(SPOILERS BELOW)

A good and ,alas, heartbreaking, ending. It does annoy me that writers seem to always believe that viewers and fans appreciate & remember tragic endings more than happy ones. It may have been somewhat odd to see Harry and Ruth living a 'normal life' (I doubt it would have ever been completely normal), but I personally feel it would give you hope that even after all they'd seen and done, they still maintained a sense of who they are, and it would have been nice to see them content together, as they deserved. We weren't expecting a fairy tale ending, but I can truly see them in that house together. The scene the writers discuss on the commentary of the last episode (I so wish Nicola & Peter could have been part of that!) where Harry sees Ruth in the kitchen cooking, on the bed reading etc., would have proved that. They had that potential. And Erin would have made a great new boss. I also wish they'd have kept Tariq on to until the end, but I appreciate the purpose of his death in the story - and after all it is Spooks.
Having said all that, the ending was beautiful, mostly due to the brilliant acting, particularly by Nicola & Peter aswell as by Lara, Alice, Tom etc., and anyway it is not my place to say what should have been and I know it wasn't an easy decision to make for the crew. I really appreciate the send off they gave to series, you certainly felt the loss of all the past characters, and it did leave you feeling quite lonely, but that just proves the Spooks' crew ability to write brilliant characters and stories. Even now I can't help but hope for more, though without Ruth, I feel it would be painful to watch!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spooks review, 29 Aug 2012
This review is from: Spooks - Series 10 [DVD] (DVD)
Great finale to a brilliant 10seasons. A cliffhanger of a last episode, all episodes were well scripted and well acted, such a shame that finally Spooks has finally departed from our screens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 July 2012
This review is from: Spooks - Series 10 [DVD] (DVD)
A superb end to what is one of the finest series to come from the beeb.Fifth is excellent as Harry Pearce,what a shame there will be no more.

5.0 out of 5 stars spooks- Series 10 (DVD), 27 April 2012
Richard V. Jeary (Geelong Victoria Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spooks - Series 10 [DVD] (DVD)
Excellent service excellent DVD it is a great pity that this was the last of the series. As far as I am concerned it should have gone on forever.

Spooks - Series 10 [DVD]
Spooks - Series 10 [DVD] by Peter Firth (DVD - 2011)
10.00