on 16 June 2011
Brilliant: in choice of works, particularly in performances. The alternating dreamy, urgent, melancholy moods are well characterised, and the 'finish' on the playing is superb. Why are these works not better known, and these recordings not more widely applauded?
on 8 May 2006
Scarlatti wrote more than 500 sonatas for keyboard, and this album gives the flavour of the range of his genius. We get the fire and brilliance that we normally expect from Scarlatti, but also his extraordinary poignancy and meditative sweetness. Joanna MacGregor's playing is superb; she brings exactly those qualities of delicacy and power which the music demands. I cannot think of a better introduction to Scarlatti's music.
on 10 June 2013
The music of Scarlatti is a revelation to me and Joanna Macgregor plays with incredible sensitivity and technical skill. Each note is clearly audible in the most intricate trills.
I wonder why this fine musician is not seen and heard every day on National Radio/Television. She is a National Treasure!
I had not listened to Scarlatti previously and rate this composer as equal to the most well loved and famed composers of all time.
on 7 December 2011
A truly wonderful CD in crystal-clear sound (recorded in 1991 for Collins). Johanna MacGregor may well be with Marcelle Meyer and Christian Zacharias one of the best interpreters of this magnificent music.
on 17 July 2007
Not one of my favourite versions. Tempos seem sometimes disorganised, dynamics are crude (and often inappropriately violent), and there's little approach to cantabile. But then I prefer 'classical' interpretations -- Queffelec, Lewin.