Alter Ego (PC DVD)
Price:£2.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 21 July 2011
I would recommend this to adult, broadminded, dedicated adventure fans, as an opportunity to play something which is certainly innovative for the genre. To clarify:
* Broadminded because there is a lot of swearing.
* Adult because you play fairly unsympathetic characters..
* Dedicated adventure fans because they will have already played all the "greats" and will be on the lookout for something a bit unusual.
Pros:
* Highly developed characters and intriguing unusual plot. You certainly get a sense of "being there".
* Great voice acting (including the voice of Adam for any Archers fans).
* Fair puzzles, and where they are hard you are normally constrained to a single location, so you not left wondering whether to go pixel hunting in other locations looking for something you have missed.
* No timed sequences or mini-games.
* Hotspot highlighter

Cons:
* A bit too much conversation.
* The last quarter of the game gives the impression they went over budget and used cut scenes to move things on and so shorten the game.
* You have to remember that you will get different results from a left click (action) and a right click (examine) and you may need to do both.
I certainly enjoyed playing it and hopefully you will too.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Let me start by saying I really enjoyed this game, many other reviewers here have stated that the game's pacing is rather slow and the story convaluted but I didn't see it this way. I felt that the pacing was spot on for me, I've been an adventure games enthusiast for more years than I care to remember and herein lies the potential problem for many of today's gamers, this is old school adventuring ethos at its best. The game has an absorbing dark storyline with many twists and turns along the way. Yes, it can be a little predictable in places particularly towards the end of the game where there is a feeling that the writer's perhaps struggled to tie up all the loose ends into a cohesive spectacle but the unsettling ending more than makes up for that.
If I had to choose one thing about this game that elevates it above most other modern third person Adventure titles it would undoubtedly be the character development. Ok the Poirot-esque nuances of Detective Sergeant Briscoll are nothing new but his so called 'Alter Ego' character Timothy Moor is nothing less than a revelation. Timothy or 'Tim' is very much an anti-hero he's been a petty criminal for the majority of his life, he's lazy, vindictive and manipulative. He will do pretty much anything to save his own skin but he is compassionate. I guess what I'm trying to say here is he's a very believable character and you will sympathise with the guy's torment.
The gameplay itself is solid. At no time did the puzzles seem illogical as it can do with some of the more contemporary Adventure titles we've seen recently (see Runaway trilogy) and it is very rare you will be stuck for very long. Where you might struggle is with some of the dreaded pixel hunting occasions which can be frustrating at times e.g. there is a scene where you have to ring a bell to get the attention of a household. Unfortunately the bell is miniscule and tenuous at best. The gameplay mechanics do in fact look a bit jaded and the introduction of a 'hot-spot indicator' would have done wonders here as would a 'hints' icon. Many newer adventurers may find the fact that the gameplay system which is almost the same as the developer's other big title The 'Black Mirror' a turn-off as it is antiquated.
However the dark and gloomy pre-rendered backgrounds are gorgeous and they help to convey the image of a bleak 19th century Plymouth well. The sound is good and can be very eery although it is not the game's strong point by any means, the character models are ok if a bit basic.
Overall I would definitely recommend this game on its story alone, I find it more difficult these days to start a game and finish it but this one had me hooked, the atmosphere, the twists and turns and the characters made for a gripping and uneasy tale. A decent adventure title that is well worth a look. There is definitely plenty to go at here. I clocked this game at well over 14 hours, which is pretty good for any third person Adventure game.
on 19 July 2011
I play a *lot* of adventure games, but this has to be one of the worst I've played in a long while.
While the graphics are fairly good, and the voice acting is also top notch, but the game itself is incredibly slow.
The conversations are boring - you know what they're going to say before they say it, and I found myself quickly skim-reading the text and clicking through to hurry it up, something I *never* do in games. Unfortunately a lot of the game is based around the conversations and finding out information.
The puzzle aspect of the game was rather easy, not a lot of stuff to find, and again based largely around the conversations. At at least 2 points I referred to a walkthrough as I was stuck and had collected everything I could/used it with everything; turned out I had to right-click on a character to gain a new conversation choice.
Very repetitive game play, I didn't even finish it as I couldn't be bothered to chore my way through it.
Shame.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 11 July 2011
Brilliant,I am an adventure fan and play all my games to the very end, this was well worth it. No mini games, and for once I did not go to a walkthrough, but spent many hours playing and enjoying every minute. The end was a suprise, well worth finishing. From the developers of Black Mirror, so if you've played them (I and II; III is just out) you will definately play this. Graphics, places to visit, look and find, mix object in inventory just brilliant, even the conversation was well worth listening too.
on 10 December 2013
Very very happy with this game, story line is good although sometimes you feel a little lost in what to do. However the quirkiness of the characters made up for this. Would definitely suggest this to friends.
on 16 March 2012
This is an original and very well written game with a good plot, complex characters and good atmospheric graphics.

It is set in Victorian Plymouth and the gameplay alternates between two principal characters: an Irishman who has escaped being cheated on a ship and being beaten by a policeman, and an ambitious police detective who has just been promoted. You quickly realize that these are not standard storybook heroes - the Irishman is manipulative and ruthless, not averse to stealing from a blind beggar, and the policeman is arrogant and ill-mannered. But stay with it - you find they are both trying to survive and make their way in a tough world. In this and the gameplay it has much more depth than most computer games.

The game is far from light-heated, in fact it gave me the same kind of thoughtful and rather apprehensive feeling as good modern literature. It could do with some lighter moments, there is little or no humour here, and it certainly doesn't get any lighter towards the end!

It's not easy, I did need occasional recourse to a walk-through, but well worth persevering. Definitely recommended.
on 17 August 2012
The game is slow and mostly boring with many obscure puzzles, not because they were complecated, but because you didn't happen perform the correct click (right or left) on the correct person/item at the correct time or after performing as similar action to another character/item. I had to use the walkthrough several times because of this each time to the reaction of "Really?".

The two characters you play are distinctly unlikeable with average voice-acting that didn't help the matter at all.
However, some of the puzzles and character interactions were quite pleasing.

My main gripe is that the ending of the game feels very rushed and is totally unsatisfying.

Concidering that this was made by the same people as The Black Mirror, which I enjoyed (even though that was quite slow too) I was expecting so much more from this game.
on 23 October 2014
Terrible. I am an adventure game addict and this is the worst I've come across for a long time. Game play is tedious, there is too much needless talking (which is probably because of the lack of story so the characters just waffle). It got good for around 10 mins half way through then became boring again. I gave up playing because I'd just decorated my kitchen and preferred to watch the paint dry
on 1 November 2011
I bought this game for playing whilst recouperating from an illness. It was great, just what I needed! The story was good, the graphics flowed well and the puzzles were good. I just wish it had been longer! I would recommend it to anyone
on 13 August 2012
It truly is one of the best adventure games I have played in these last 5 years.

The plot is interesting and insidious - it grows on you. You play with 2 different characters whose lifes and stories don't have anything in common for a while (although you know they will intersect and eventually meet sooner or later) and the intrigue and overall mystery are well constructed.

I really cannot criticize the game: the puzzles are not too difficult but not that easy either (I didn't need a walkthrough), the length of the game is great (I played for 30 or 40 hours, at the least, probably more) and the characters, story and ease of play were spot on and well develloped. The ambiance and epoch structure were faultless and the graphics were very good.

It is not the best game ever - I can grant you that. But definetely one of my favourite adventure games of this century.

Truly 5 stars game of the XXI century.