5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding
Published on 6 May 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all.......
News of the world was always spoken of as "Queen's answer to punk" and even Roger Taylor described it as "with a lot of harder stuff on it, slightly more raw..." Until I listened to it, I was expecting a watered down Queen, little production, 11 songs in the "Sheer Heart Attack" mould. Therefore, I was shocked to find that the album is as diverse as ever, and (though in...
Published on 6 Nov 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 6 May 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: News Of The World (Audio CD)
This is a truly fantastic album, the 1977 follow up of "A Day at the Races". Whether you're a Queen fan or not, you'll know at least two of these songs as the album opens with Brian's "We Will Rock You" and Freddie's "We Are The Champions". So if you've never bought any Queen before, this is a good place to start! Personally, my favourite tracks are "Spread Your Wings", the epic and emotional "It's Late" and "My Melancholy Blues", a spectacular and powerful blues-style masterpiece. As I was brought up on Queen, I love this album, there isn't a single track on it I don't like but I think anyone would think this, life long fan or not! I highly recommend it to anyone, young or old! I'm only 17 but still think it's fantastic, Queen still have, (and always will have!) that special something, whether it's in Brain's outstanding talents, Freddie's beautiful voice or just the combination of the right people at the right time. So if you're young, I still recommend you buy this - you won't regret it, they're fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stripped Down. Well, Almost..., 19 Nov 2003
This review is from: News Of The World (Audio CD)
After the everything-including-the-kitchen-sink production of "A Night At The Opera" and its follow-up "A Day At The Races", where on Earth could Queen go? Somewhere completely different is the answer this album provides.
Despite opening with two of Queen's most famous anthems (the second of which, "We Are The Champions", is possibly their most classically Queen-sounding single alongside "Bohemian Rhapsody"), this album is largely free of the bombastic, grandiloquent production which had become their trademark. This was 1977, the year of punk, and this album seems to represent Queen acknowledging the shift in public tastes to embrace a more stripped down, fuzzier, dirtier sound. Their equivalent of recording in the garage, perhaps - albeit a garage decorated with Persian rugs, chandeliers, marble cherubs, and fountains spewing champagne.
"Sheer Heart Attack" is the most prominent example of this. Fast, energetic and intense (and a staple encore in their live set for a few years subsequently), this is Queen letting off steam in a way most unusual for them on record.
The tender and melancholy "All Dead, All Dead", written and sung by Brian May, immediately switches the mood, and is one of only three songs containing his marque complex multitracked guitar work.
John Deacon's "Spread Your Wings" is simply beautiful; a narrative lyric about an unhappy young man's resolve to escape the confines of his small-town existence, dead-end job under a sneering boss and "leave his dead life behind". The sparse production adds an extra dimension to the song - I could be a little over-analytical here and suggest that it emphasises the emptiness of the protagonist's life and the desperation of his plight, but that would be a bit pretentious. Oh well, I've done it now anyway.
"Get Down, Make Love" is something of an oddity. Stark production rules again, bringing Roger Taylor's heavy drums to the fore alongside Freddie Mercury's lusty vocals, until the guitar-led chorus. Then we get to the middle section - a cornucopia of very strange noises indeed. A variety of effects are applied to Mercury's vocal gymnastics, and a listener unfamiliar with Queen's "No Synthesisers" ethic during the 70's could be forgiven for thinking they are hearing one here. It's actually May's guitar, played through something very technical and clever (at the time) that I know absolutely nothing about, other than that it makes his guitar sound very other-worldly and not at all like a guitar...
"Sleeping On The Sidewalk" is a one-take almost-live blues song. In many ways it sums up the overall feel of the album - the sound of a real band playing together and enjoying themselves. According to May, the first take was recorded totally live as a guide, but subsequent attempts to capture it lacked the "lazy" feel of the original, so what we hear on the album is for the most part assembled from the original take.
"Who Needs You", another Deacon composition, is again a simple arrangement simply produced, before "It's Late" returns us to the bleary, muddy, dirty sound explored earlier on the album. This is all-out hairy rock with a great stadium chorus, overblown but not over-produced and an energising, invigorating listen. Turn it right up.
One would think that this would be the logical big finish for the album, but Queen instead opt for a more subdued ending with Mercury's "My Melancholy Blues", a comment on his new-found glamourous lifestyle and its downside. It's actually quite a dark piece - Mercury reminds us here that despite his wealth and the allure attached to being a rock star, he's still a human being with human frailties. Even rock stars get lonely.
This album successfully bridges the gap between the bombast and operatics concluded on "A Day At The Races" the previous year, and the more poppy sound explored on "Jazz" the following year. Always prepared for a challenge and never satisfied to simply stick to one formula, Queen would continue to explore new sounds throughout their career. "News Of The World" is a fine example, and represents one of several significant and refreshing moves forward.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock'N'Roll Regality!, 26 July 2000
Joe (Portsmouth) - See all my reviews
This review is from: News Of The World (Audio CD)
Coming on the back of Queen's biggest albums of the time - A Night at the Opera and A day at the Races - this record was a marked change in style, both songwriting and production wise. Whereas those two records were dripping with overdubs and high production values, News of the World revelled in more straight forward drum/bass & guitar numbers such as We Will Rock You, It's Late and the lovely blues pastiche Sleeping On The Sidewalk. That's not to say the big numbers aren't there - We Are The Champions is a stadium classic and how Spread Your Wings didn't make it on to any of the Greatest Hits albums remains a mystery. But there are less celebrated gems here like Brian May's All Dead All Dead and, best of all, Freddie's most overlooked song, My Melancholy Blues - a beautiful jazz lounge number that Queen pull off perfectly. A favourite with many Queen fans, this album showed all four members making significant contributions throughout, and marked a turning phase with its more democratic approach to songwriting. From its great sci-fi magazine parody sleeve to the cracking songs within, this is a terrific album. Well worth a listen - and for any Queen fans that don't have it - for shame!

5.0 out of 5 stars The end of an era?, 26 Mar 2002
M. D. Rathbone (Runcorn, Cheshire - UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: News Of The World (Audio CD)
This album marked the end of "early Queen" (in my opinion) before the raw, hard edge gave way to a more polished and studio-based feel with later albums.
Hardly a bad track on it (although "Fight from the Inside" and "Get Down, Make Love" won't be to everyone's taste) the highlights are certainly the delightful Deacon classic "Spread Your Wings" and the energetic, rocky "It's Late" in which Brian and Roger really let go!
In being drawn to the more obvious tracks ("Champions" and "Rock You") don't overlook the hidden gems including "Sleeping on the Sidewalk" and "All Dead, All Dead" (both with Brian on lead vocals) and Freddie's "My Melancholy Blues" which ends the album on a poignant note as Freddie opens his heart to us at the piano!

4.0 out of 5 stars A different kind of different, 12 May 2007
S J Buck (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: News Of The World (Audio CD)
When Queen released this album Punk and New Wave were about to change the music that a generation of teenagers bought. So from the beginning this album was unlikely to be received as well as previous Queen albums - and it wasn't.

Certainly there is nothing on this album that matches Bohemian Rhapsody from two years earlier. However, I prefer this album to "A Night At The Opera" over all. For me the anthemic qualities of "We are the Champions" and "Spread Your Wings", together with the stylistic variety of "Sleeping on the Sidewalk" (Rhythm and Blues) and "My Melancholy Blues" (Piano Ballad) is what made Queen such a great band. Sometimes its the little things on this album that I really like, such as Roger Taylors fabulous drum break at 2:48 near the end of "Sheer Heart Attack". If that isn't enough have a listen "Its Late". As the Amazon reviewer said this is the best track on the album. If I had to pick only one Queen track this would be it. Its over 6 minutes long but it has everything you'd expect from a great Queen track. The only quick way I can think of describing it is that they should have performed it at Live Aid - it would have fitted perfectly into the great set they did there.

There are a few weak tracks in my view, hence only 4 stars, but overall this a better album than its given credit for. Any Queen fan will know this already, but for anybodyelse, apart from a compilation this is as a good a place to start if you're buying Queen for the first time.

4.0 out of 5 stars News of the World, 23 Feb 2005
Rich Milligan (Thatcham, Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: News Of The World (Audio CD)
To give such a good album only 4 stars is probably a travesty in itself, but there again we are judging by previously set "Queen Standards" here and coming on the back of "Night at the Opera" and "Day at the Races" this album was always going to be judged a little harshly.
It really is a fine album in its own right though, 11 wonderful tracks, each one as diverse as the next, covering a multitude of styles and carrying them all off in unique Queen style.
There really isn't much to say about the double-whammy opening of "We will rock you" and "We are the champions" that hasn't been said before, but it's worthwhile listening to the original studio sound of "We will rock you" to remind you of the much more muted and even subtle tone it has when compared to the much more well known raucous stadium stomp it usually gets. "Sheer Heart Attack" has been quoted as Queen's attempt at punk, it certainly is a full-on, far heavier sound than anything that had come before but whether it is punk or thrash metal before its time can be debated by the music experts.
Other highlights include the beautiful John Deacon offering of "Spread your Wings". His finest song? Well I'll let others decide that, but it certainly isn't recognised as highly as it should be. Brian's rockabilly "Sleeping on the sidewalk" is great fun as it the other Deacon song, the Latin cha-cha of "Who needs you".
The finale of the album is two songs, which again by all the rules of music shouldn't fit together yet somehow they are simply perfect. Brain let's rip in the rock saga of "It's Late" including its unique "Scenes" making it a real rock-opera and then Freddie cools us all down with the late-night cabaret of "My Melancholy Blues", all dusky tinkling piano, brushed drums and smoky atmospheres.
Excellent stuff!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 11 Jun 2006
This review is from: News Of The World (Audio CD)
I'm a huge fan of 70s Queen, and despite the fact that this album was recorded in the late 70s, I was unsure of how it would be (as Queen's music tended to get more pop orientated into the 80s). Despite my initial suspicions about this album, I was given it as a present at Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed it from track one.

A fantastic mixture of rock, and the more Freddie trademark sound; this album isn't one of their best but definitely ranks pretty highly in my collection. The album consists of punchy anthems (We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions), more gentle and emotional ballad type tracks (All Dead, All Dead/My Melancholy Blues), Mercury's personal favourite style that later morphed into Hot Space type music (Get Down, Make Love), and remaining tracks that are generally pleasing to listen to. I personally listen to tracks 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10 and 11 the most; however there is nothing wrong with the other songs on the album - I just think you need to be in a certain mood to enjoy them properly. Then again, every Queen fans tastes are different.

News Of The World definitely has some of the most underrated Queen songs ever written featuring on it, so it's a definite listen for those wishing to hear some of the less publicised songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Spreading WIngs . . ., 8 Oct 2003
David Cranson (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: News Of The World (Audio CD)
I like this album a lot. I bought it late in collecting Queen stuff, because the well known stuff was right at the beginning of the album. (That made sense at the time(!))
It's a joy to listen to tho'. Some real good stuff as before, with the usual 'types' from each individual: -
Melancholy from Brian (Sleeping On The Sidewalk),
Rock from Roger(Fight From The Inside),
Weird from Freddie (Get Down Make Love),
Classic pop/rock from John (Spread Your Wings)
"It's Late" deserves a mention n despatches as does "My Melancholy Blues" which is basically Frieddie & piano until brushed drums & bass come in (I've heard an alternative version of with Brian interjecting some tasty guitar which just adds a fresh touch to the song). I'e often wondered why they didn;t do that on the album version.
Nevertheless a very well rounded album, which is indeed an end of an era. A different flavour of album atarted appearing after this, with more of a pop sensibilty about them.
This one tho' repays repeated playing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Sixth Queen Album, 11 Sep 2014
Timelord007 (The Eccentric Wanderer) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Track Listings
Queen - News Of The World.

CD Info.

9. Who Needs You
10. It's Late
11. My Melancholy Blues

Timelord Thoughts.
Opening with two iconic Queen Anthems 'We Will Rock You' & 'We Are The Champions', Queen's sixth studio album titled New Of The World which was a sly dig at the former newspaper for the "Is This Man A Pratt" article it ran about lead singer Freddie Mercury this 4 times platinum album is full of gaudy operatics & tearful ballads that features Queen iconic sound deliver a truly unique & wonderful album that is stylistically different to previous Queen albums which revels in heavy drum, bass & guitar tracks delivering 11 excellent tracks including the outstanding Spread Your Wings & the rock driven Sheer Heart Attack.

With it's colourful unique Sci-Fi parody album sleeve this marks a transition in the band at a time when the punk scene was in full flow & only now can fans appreciate how good this album is with Freddie's powerful & emotionally driven vocals to Brian May's catchy guitar riffs aided by John Deacons heavy Bass sections & of course Roger Taylors awesome drumming.

Overall, News Of The World is another classic Queen album that may have been overlooked upon original release & sees the band in a transitional stage of there career & yet are still able to deliver all the ingredients that make Queens style of music sound modern now with excellent digitally remastering which has enhanced the sound superbly on this reissue which now sounds clearer & sharper than ever before making this a must buy purchase for Queen fan's.

Timelord Rating.
9/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Headline News, 20 April 2010
wavey davey (Fareham, Hants) - See all my reviews
This review is from: News Of The World (Audio CD)
As a Queen fan of, well, my whole life, I felt it was time I offered a few words of support for what I beleive to be Queen's best album. However I must admit I'm not a conventional Queen fan, in that I don't actually like any of their well known (pop) songs. Its all about the rock for me, and all my favourite songs are the ones that (diehard fans aside) no one has heard of, and for the most part happen to be written by Brian May. The man has to be rock's most unassuming genius. Why I rate this album above their others is the production which is, by Queens standards anyway, basic and raw boned. There's none of the over the top theatrics you would normally associate with Queen. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for progression, but they just went a bit too far at times for my tastes. I've never understood why 'A Night at the Opera' is lauded as Queen's finest recorded statement, I've always found it to be a bit too poncey, for want of a better expression. On NOTW the music does the talking and isn't submerged under countless overdubs and effects. Anyway, apart from the obvious highlights, the razor edged punk of 'Sheer Heart Attack' is surely Queen at their most savage, while the bluesy 'Sleeping on the Sidewalk' is raw but in a different context. This song is often written off as sloppy or rough, but thats why I like it; its just the sound of 3 very talented musicians jamming together in a room, which has to be unique for a Queen album. The album's highlight is undoubtedly 'Its Late', Brian May's criminally overlooked masterpiece. You get a great descending riff, a stomping middle eight and not one but two high tempo rock out bits all rolled into one fantastic song. As if that wasn't enough, Roger Taylor does his best thunderous John Bonham impression throughout, giving off a sense of power never heard before or since. Compare this drum sound to the relatively weedy one he has on the subsequent album, 'Jazz' and you'll see what I mean. I know there's different production values and all that, but why wouldnt you want your drums to sound this good all the time? But I digress. When it comes to the rest of the album I can take or leave it, obviously 'We Will Rock You' is a solid gold classic and even the albums most experimental song, 'Get Down, Make Love' has a good old fashioned straight ahead rock chorus. But the rest of the material is on the softer side, though easier on the ear than most of their other ballads; 'All Dead, All Dead' has a pleasant Beatles-esque quality to it. Overall then, if youre new to Queen and, like me, you avoid best of collections and want to really hear what a band can sound like, this is a good place to start. For those who want to continue in a rock vein, the 'Sheer Heart Attack' album is definately next best, though of course you will find gems on almost all their albums if you are patient enough to sit through Queen's need for experimentation. 'News of the World' then gives a glimpse of what Queen's sound could have been if they'd stuck to what they did best and just rocked, before they stumbled towards the graveyard of all the top bands: the 1980's. (Actually, that's a bit harsh, apart from Hot Space, Queen's 80's output wasn't that bad).

Since I altered the world's stance on this album with my wise words, Queen have of course re released their back catalogue with extra tracks, and i wonder if i may wade into the 'deluxe' edition debate? So far as NOTW is concerned, the extras are nothing to write home (or on Amazon) about, except for the sole previously unreleased track, 'Feelings, Feelings'. What a tune! A catchy up tempo rocker that would had improved the album still further if a longer, finished version had appeared on it instead of say, 'Fight From the Inside' or 'Who Needs You?'. The world could have lived without those songs, right?

The deluxe versions of the other Queen albums are, on the whole, a touch disappointing for me. Its interesting to hear unreleased songs and non album b sides of course, but there aren't enough of these. Otherwise you get live versions of well known songs (some of which are already available) and rather pointless instrumental and edited 'single' versions of well known songs. The songs taken from radio sessions don't exactly take the breath away either, in fact on the sessions for the 'Sheer Heart Attack' lp, it sounds like its literally just Freddie singing live over the regular album tracks.

As for the remastered sound, I personally have only noticed a minimal improvement, (not that they sounded that bad anyway) but maybe its just the 'rig' I listen to them through. Overall then, its almost tempting to cry 'rip off!', but I've bought them all again anyway. Except for effing 'Hot Space' of course.