Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 2 March 2013
A reasonable read. It is obvious that the author had decided to make some more cash by spinning it out to two volumes.
on 9 March 2016
"The Life of Captain Reilly" by J.T. O'Neil is something between a novel and a work of non-fiction. Actually, it is the real-life account of a day in the life of a pilot who works for a low-cost passenger airline, interspersed with chapters that explain various aspects of flying, less technical but more from an organisational point of view.

The overall tone is rather cynical, and it makes me wonder why the author has not quit his job a long time ago, when almost everything about it is either hateful or ridiculous. It can't be the money that makes him stick to the job, as he complains about that as well.

Readers gain some insight into what it is like to be on a plane not as a passenger, but as the person responsible for the whole flight. It is interesting to learn about how many different areas and people work together to make it all happen, and what rules exist (and are sometimes bent) in the world of international air traffic.

Where I fully agree with the author is when he has a go at the behaviour of some passengers. There really are inconsiderate people around who think nothing of leaving their seats - and everything within a certain radius - a total mess, or treating cabin crew members as second class human beings.

Allover, this was an interesting (rather short) read, but left something of a sour taste (probably fully intended). What originally attracted me to the book was of course the captain's name being so similar to my own. J.T. O'Neil has written some more books, but I won't download them, not even if they are for free. They just weren't that good, or gripping.
on 15 August 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, so much so that I couldn't wait to buy the 2nd and 3rd books.

It tells the story of the life of an airline pilot working for a no frills airline, mixed in with a bit of comedy. There were some laugh out loud moments in it.

If you are interested in aviation, and think it's glamorous, then maybe you shouldn't read this book.

If you are interested in aviation and want to know what it's really like then you should definitely read this book, just don't take all of it as gospel.

All in all a great read.
on 3 October 2012
This is a honest and realistic view of a modern day pilot, gone are the days of the transatlantic Barron. Pilots are treated the same as everyone else at the airport and indeed by the airline. I found the dry humour very funny and the book was the right length for a mid haul flight. Anyone who who flies for a living would enjoy this book, anyone thinking of flying for a living should read this book!
on 27 November 2012
This was the first book that I bought on kindle. To say that I enjoyed it immensely would be an understatement. I do have a little experience of the subject matter of both this book and the follow-up and was well able to relate to the many trials and tribulations of airline operations. The book is very well written, funny, accurate and absorbing. Well done JT!
on 21 April 2013
Very disappointing book; it has one star from me because there is not a nul star category. I finished reading the book because I had paid for it. Had it been a library book which I had borrowed I would not have bothered to finish reading it; I would have returned it after the early pages. As a private pilot I have associated with 'real' professional pilots, with real experience and real flying stories, socially for many years in many circumstances. I was looking for some authoritative yarns for entertainment. This book did nothing for me either in style or content and I removed it from my Kindle. I also purchased Capt. Spivack's book 'Dangerous Lessons and Guardian Angels' which was hugely more entertaining, informative and better value by far. But this is only my opinion.
on 2 April 2013
An enjoyable and very funny book about the role of a pilot not being all it is cracked up to be.

Not the longest book, but still good value.

Already downloaded the author's second book.

I'd recommend it.
on 1 November 2014
A bit short but educating. This book is only about the third of the length I expected. In a fictitious first person narrative, it takes the reader through a flight from Gatwick to Malaga and back as the Captain of a holiday jet. Whilst this might appear to be pretty routine there were lots and lots of bits that I did not know about the administration of flying that impacts on pasengers. The variable cost of highways in the sky for instance. I had always asumed that once a plane was airborne it was just the cost of fuel.

JT O'Niel presents the red tape obstacles to getting a plane from A to B in an after dinner speaker style. The explanations are clear and often surpirsing.
on 4 May 2013
Very insightful. A great read. Too short though, needed more gossip! I really enjoyed this, and the revelations were great reading!
on 13 May 2015
Took this on holiday with me, couldnt put it down, had to get the second one, read that as well. just got home and bought the third book will have read it by the time i go back to work on monday. realy funny. be warned you will just want to know what happens next...