on 7 November 2014
Does not feel like it was written by a lawyer. 3 stars because the book would have been short. Also the question about God is everyone' s trouble, so nothing special really. The books was superficial and refused to touch deep into the dirty waters within the jewish community... very few communities would have the feel of this book: Maybe some congolese tutsi are among the few who would get the depth of this book
on 10 April 2014
Great book, well written and informative. It would have been even better if it was a quarter of its length as the author constantly repeats himself which became slightly boring.
on 19 March 2013
I am also a past resident of North Manchester and know so well the venues Firman describes. I recognise so much of myself in his writings. However I am gay born in1933 ( living opposite Sydney Hambitger in Cavendish Road ) My early life as a gay man in a Jewish Community was very very difficult and I fled to London at the age of 30 where i have had a good life and I am a much retired Lawyer. The point of this is that despite many doubts - in particular that I am cosidered an abomination in Jewish terms - i am still very Jewish in my culture and hopes. I have been together with my partner for 34 years and he is well immersed in Jewish custom. Hence I retain with enormous pride the nurturing I had - but not without a great deal of doubt and anxiety. Neverthe less my religions attitude to homosexuality disturbs me and I welcome the writersvliberal attitudes.

5 stars for Firman
on 2 July 2013
I quite liked this book, however I have to say it did get rather repetitive; think it would have been better for a bit of editing.
on 4 April 2013
As a Jew, I identified with virtually every page of this amazingly personal and soul-baring book. As we say: 'Kol Kavod' (all due praise) to Milton for daring to publish something which, for most people, would only exist as private and half-formed thoughts. He has clearly been on a voyage of self-discovery which makes for fascinating reading.
on 17 March 2013
This was a great book. A good insight as to the questions we so often ask inside our own head but rarely speak of & great to hear them from someone raised quite religiously. I found it difficult to put down as I recognized so many of the areas he spoke of& was generally interested in what his conclusion would be.