Format: DVDChange

on 13 December 2011
IDEAL is a fantastic show and after the horrible decision taken by a misguided BBC controller to axe it after 7 seasons this collection is a must buy. All the memorable characters episodes and songs are featured as well as some very interesting special features including some great interviews with Graham Duff and others as well as the usual deleted scenes and unseen footage.
on 24 January 2013
I well remember that fateful day when I took my first step down that slippery slope to dependency. They said it wasn't addictive, so I tried one episode. Didn't like it much at first, but after a couple more,I soon began to enjoy the effects, and kept going back for more. Even when I developed sore, red eyes from watching too much, I didn't stop.I've just finished Series 2 and am dreading the day my supply dries up.Let this be a warning to others...
on 7 February 2012
Ideal is a great box set. Had a great time watching from start to finish. Would recommend this item to anyone who enjoys proper comedy :)
on 26 April 2014
I'm not a huge Johnny Vegas fan, but the reviews on this show were quite positive, and I thought it must be somewhat decent if it ran for 7 series.

The first few episodes I was kind of unsure, and afraid I had wasted money on a dud show. Once I finished the first series and got into the second, however, I was addicted. I love the characters - especially Jenny. I really like the fact that each episode isn't just another random story line, but that the same story continually progresses and snowballs into a bigger and bigger story. Almost every episode picks up exactly where the previous one left off - even between series, so it's intriguing to keep watching and see what happens next. I'm also starting to like Johnny Vegas' character more and more, and I find that overall the plot keeps getting better.

I'm only on series 4 right now, but so far I love it and would recommend it to anyone looking for something "ideal" to watch.
on 12 December 2014
I first started watching this from about Series 5 or so when they were played back to back one night on BBC 3. I loved the story arc and the fact that each episode followed on from the other rather than being self contained like so many series these days. Johnny Vegas is a very good actor, don't be fooled by his comedic "panel game" persona, the guy plays the character so well. When I saw the box set at just over £23 I thought, "right time to buy" and so I began to watch all episodes...
With great characters as Cartoon Head, Psycho Paul and of course Brian the Camp customer (Graham Duff). I am so happy I have bought this and its such a shame the series came to end at Series 7. I really hope Graham Duff gets an opportunity to do Series 8 because I think the Series was such a great, yet under the radar comedy. Go buy it and enjoy...I did!
on 20 February 2014
Johnny Vegas plays Moz,an overweight lazy unmotivated slob who sells weed and resin kindly supplied by his best friend....A Policeman!!! Moz's customers,some his friends,some randomers,are a weird and wonderful assortment of colourful and crazy characters...With storylines ranging from funny and awkward to downright weird,creepy and bizzare,this box set is a must ford Comedy fans of dark,alternative humour.Some memorable characters,besides the lead role of Moz are rival drug dealer "Psycho Paul" Mute Mouse Masked Hitman For Hire "Cartoon Head" Nice but dim opportunist thief "Colin" Oh and not forgetting Moz's strange,constantly oppologising Necrophiliac neighbour "Judith".... All in all a great mix of fun characters,storylines and humour make this an unmisable series for Johnny Vegas fans and General Comedy lovers alike.
on 9 January 2014
Ideal is the most unique sitcom you are ever likely to see. It is innovative, messed up, surreal and very filmic. Set in just three flats in one landing, the show still feels like an epic, due to it's style and themes.
The main 'hub' of the character's is Moz's flat, Moz being the lazy but well-natured weed dealer played brilliantly by Johnny Vegas. The show concentrates on the seemingly endless stream of customers and guests that are forever knocking on Moz's door.
But this is where it gets troublesome. Trying to explain Ideal's storyline is a herculean task. It's soap-esque storylines to do with which character is cheating on who and which character will turn traitor next are mixed with the most bizarre plots and people. Before you say 'Wait, I hate soaps so why would I watch this?' let me say that you would not find a mute hitman with a glued-on mouse mask called Cartoon Head in Corrie.
The character's are the real stars, and drive the comedy. Whether it's the screwdriver-wielding Psycho Paul, the flamboyant gay bachelor Brian "Oooo, innhe scrummy?" or the useless small-time thief Colin "I'm on probation!" you will be drawn in to this world.
What makes this show really stand out is how it starts like a gloomy kitchen-sink Mike Leigh-style show and ends up as an off the wall surrealist piece, still keeping some realism but getting nuttier every episode (this is a show that can turn in to a full-blown musical at the blink of an eye). The hallucination moments, sometimes accompanied by CGI elements are fascinating. In what other situation comedy would you see a dream sequence in which a bird scuttles out of a bullet wound and picks out a 'worm' from the wound, which is actually the shot person's intestines?
Graham Duff, the writer of the show, created something totally unique and wonderful in Ideal. The scriptwriting is impeccable and it is a massive shame that he was forced to end it when he did. Axing the show was a huge error of judgement on a misguided BBC3 controller's part, and the show ends on a big cliffhanger to which will never be unhung. Apparently they didn't want a hugely creative series to keep on going and instead make room for a load of old cobblers. It's fantastic and should never have been discontinued.
on 17 April 2014
This is the Ideal box set I ordered off Amazon, ain't he scrummy?! Kept me busy for hours and I'm not even on probation!
on 1 February 2012
Brilliant and can a show about a drug dealer and his array of wierd,eccentric,crazy,etc... customers get to last 7 series? the plot is simple: an obese, sex obsessed small time drug dealer(Moz), living with his cheating girlfriend who obtains his drugs from his policeman friend at no cost.The sub plots are a never ending display of hopeless people getting involved in situations that are way out of their depth.The setting is very rarely not in Moz's flat,but the arrival of his customers provides plenty of scenery.outstanding 5 stars.
on 18 January 2012
Funny show about a fat man who sells drugs to criminal policemen, sexual perverts and men who wear mouse masks and carry guns.
He lives in a flat somewhere that's not in London, you can tell it's not in London because all the characters speak funny like there's something wrong with their voices! I expect they just put the funny voices on for the show.
The main character has a girlfriend who has an even weirder voice than the rest of them, I think she must be a foreigner or something like that.
It reminds me of that old classic "Are You Being Served" they had some mad voices in that too.
Anyway there's some really funny bits in it and if you like comedy you'll find some of this pretty good I reckon.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse