Format: Kindle EditionChange

on 17 April 2012
I am really enjoying the book, which is well up to the usual standard of Jeffrey Archer's books. But I am astounded by the really appalling proof-reading. There is a simple answer to this problem. Someone who wants to sell books online must make sure they are readable. The buck stops with the author. If there is no infrastructure (as with printed books), then it is up to YOU to re-read the thing and get the corrections made, before you inflict this on the reading public.
on 2 June 2015
As with all this series, the latest instalment of the Clifton Chronicles kept me turning page after page eager to see what fate would bring to the Clifton/Barrington family and those determined to bring about their fall from grace or even, as in the case of Jessica, their demise. I started reading a little at a time, but by the time I had got to 60% on my kindle I did not put it down until I had read the last page. I will now have to be content with reading the current 5 books from start to finish, probably at least twice, until the next thrilling chapter of the life of Harry Clifton and the many other colourful characters that Jeffrey Archer has brought to the screen of my kindle. I only hope that a producer or director has the good sense to get film/television rights to bring this fanatic story to life on either the big, or little screen.
on 21 June 2015
I have never read a Jeffrey Archer book before. This is completely down to my judging to conclusions; I was concerned that it would suggest that I might be a Tory and, unfortunately, I associate Mr Archer with his time spent at Her Majesty's Pleasure and the fact he was a member of a political cabinet of which I was not a fan. Anyway, enough of that, it is irrelevant to the book. As ever, I selected a 'starter' because it was on a special for a kindle download and I really enjoyed it. Extremely well researched, beautifully written, entertaining, at a good pace and a great read. I'll have to decide which is the next Archer book I'll read.
on 22 March 2003
This is the second Archer book that I have read and I find myself pleasantly surprised how easily he was able to make such a varied course of events as listed by other reviewers seem plausible. Archer is a compelling writer with a style that just makes you want to turn "one more page" before turning out the light. Not a landmark writing, but the detail in which situations are depicted and the feeling of understanding that Archer has for his subjects makes this a well recomended read, up there with The 11th Commandment, the other book that I have read.
on 6 August 2015
I have read a few of Jeffreys books and find them all fast moving and easy to read. This was no exception, not one of his best mind you but you can easily understand how his novels make a good basis for a film version.
My only grumble was one of the female characters in the story fell too easily in to helping the hero out of a mess, at that time publically thought of as a murderer, when I feel the situation in real life she would not have been so quick to become so helpful in assisting him.
on 20 December 2013
Excellent read, would certainly recommend it.A book you can not put down once you get into it. A typical Jeffrey Archer book..
on 29 May 2015
Although I am not a fan of political themed novels I was hooked by this and intrigued by the behind the scenes activities of the KGB and the foreign office. The main character Adam was very likeable, and somewhat of an amateur James Bond. I became a bit confused with the names of all the Russian characters and not too sure how many of them were real or fictional. Set in the 1960 s you forget how much modern thrillers rely on mobile phones and computers.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Always wanted to read a Jeffrey Archer book when away on holiday but never bought one as in the 'olden days' of paperbacks they were always just a little bit expensive for me. Looked forward to seeing what all the hype over this author was about. Downloaded this one cheaply and can honestly say I am very underwhelmed. I think in the intervening years since this was written time has moved on and I have certainly read better novelists in the last decade.
on 19 October 2012
I read this book many years ago,but on rereading it I'm reminded what a cracking good story it was.It's not in the same class as some of his other books,but an enjoyable story with fast pace and the usual "archer"twists to raise a smile.It's not for the pedantic or the oxbridge set,but I'm pretty sure that joe public will thoroughly enjoy it.
on 17 June 2015
Jeffrey archer at his best. Definitely stereotype overdrive - mr archer cannot write books without them. Does he ever meet real people??? Not just living people who are only of his world but ...dare I say it... others? Anyway. liked the fact that who knows people like goering might still have surprises for us in store!!