on 9 May 2013
I got this kit for my daughter's 7th birthday and it has been a great hit. The knitting dolly is nice, big and chunky, perfect for little hands and beginners. Within minutes of the kit being opened my daughter was happily 'knitting away' despite having no previous experience. There is easily enough wool for 3 butterflies.
I wasn't sure whether to get this, but I am really pleased I did, it's great :)
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 8 July 2013
As others have noted, there is a suggestion that this is suitable for five-year-olds
and up; elsewhere the detail suggests eight years. On the box it makes it clear
that it is for EIGHT year olds and upwards.

Anyway, it's a little too difficult for my six year old daughter, although we've had
great fun sharing the work. The bit she can't do is holding the wool whilst holding
both the spool and the hook for lifting the thread over the pin.

There's not a great amount of detail about what's in the box, but if one hovers the
mouse over the Amazon picture, you can see a quite a bit of detail in the zoomed
image. The spool has six quite robust plastic pins and produces a tube of fabric
getting on for 10-12 millimetres diameter.

I haven't had a go at making the butterfly yet, but the instructions are pretty good
so I doubt it will be a problem; there a little pack of 'googly' eyes included in the
box.

So, not a bad bit of kit, the last time I did this (corking) was with a cotton reel and
four nails knocked into the top and that worked fine, but cotton reels aren't wooden
anymore; are they?

Overall very happy with the purchase.
on 6 March 2015
So disappointed. Strange design 'flaw' in my opinion. The top , with the 6 hooks on, is not fixed to the body of the 'loom'. Quite tricky to hold it all together. A shame, as lots of good things about the design... good hook; great slots in loom to make the hooking easy; the body of loom good shape to hold. Can't see any practical reason for having top and body separate???? I would say not for tiny hands, sadly I bought this for children to use. I have to give it one star, but probably wouldn't give any.
on 28 March 2013
My 8 year-old daughter is currently using it, made a dragonfly instead of butterflies and is now trying to beat the french knitting world record using it; maybe in 30-40 years' time!
on 17 September 2012
Bought this as a present for a 5 year old as the description and photograph of the product both specifically mention for 5 years and over. On receiving the item the box now says "for ages over 8", so I feel unable to give this as a gift with such an age gap. Looks good though, will just have to wait for another present opportunity or another 3 years!!!
on 18 January 2012
Arrived on time, my neice loves it. Good way to start knitting. Would consider ordering again. Butterfly is real cute Thank you
on 21 November 2012
I tried several french knitting kits and this one is by far the best. The hook is easy to use and the shape of the main piece (having grooves) makes it simple for even a young child to make the work fun and quick to get a perfect result.
on 8 April 2015
This is a great kit and really fun to do! There is enough wool to make three butterflies, however this is provided that you make them the colours shown on the box. The instructions on how to do the knitting are helpful and clear. However the instructions for putting it all together are not, and although I managed with some guesswork and some sewing of my own, young children will need help. On the whole, it was fun and enjoyable to make butterflies.
on 26 January 2016
Nice kit however I found there wasn't enough wool to make the butterfly advertised, Also the actual knitting instrument is a bit flimsy. Good for someone that's new to knitting, ie my 6 year old daughter however if I was to buy again, I'd buy one that had a bit more strength to it
on 29 January 2013
What it says on the box.....but I thought a bit light.... for the price.... perhaps it could have included some more wool for an extra butterfly ?