5.0 out of 5 stars Very Comprehensive

3.0 out of 5 stars A very qualified recommendation
Published on 29 Aug. 2012 by S. J. Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Comprehensive, 6 Jan. 2012
S. Brown (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rosetta Stone, Italian, Version 4, Level 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 (Mac/PC)[OLD VERSION] (CD-ROM)
I have been doing this course slowly, but surely over the last 5 or so months. It's a great program, which gives you a large working knowledge of the language. It is quite a slow start, but I do think that it's necessary, because the basics of a language are critical. When you're doing it, it is a lot of fun, you'll find that the hours fly by! The only negative is the price, and that they are constantly fleecing you of all your money for online activities! I can't justify that kind of price for you, it depends how much you want to learn the language! This WILL give you all the tools to learn the language to a decent standard, over about 6 months. In relation to other products, I don't think there is one on the market which will give you the depth, coverage and variation that this does. The speech recognition is really useful too, although sometimes irritating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning Italian, 13 Sept. 2011
Ms. C. P. Davies (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
I have found learning Italian with Rosetta very easy.
Its great how they have designed the programme. I'm remembering words and phrases without initially realising it.
I was struggling with grammar, but Rosetta has helped me with Italian grammar, which I never thought I would have mastered.
I recommend this product to anyone from beginner onwards.
I'm going to Italy in a few months and I feel much more confident about speaking Italian now.

3.0 out of 5 stars A very qualified recommendation, 29 Aug. 2012
S. J. Williams "stevejw2" (Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been learning Italian intermittently for a number of years and have tried various approaches/courses: these include, Michel Thomas, Pimsleur, the BBC's 'Buongiorno' and an Open University course. I had a very practical interest in exploring this product and was hoping for great things. However, I'm afraid I cannot be so unreservedly enthusiastic about it as other reviewers, especially considering its expense and the commitment to continuing financial outlay that long term access to the online facilities would require. To access the much-vaunted 'real conversations with native speakers' beyond the initial 3 months, an important part of successful language learning, you'll need to spend more!

The on-screen pages which require a response from the learner (the main vehicle for the program) are OK, but, for me, not as intuitive as claimed: the pattern of what sort of response (drag and drop, repeat phrases, create new phrases etc) is required from the learner is not always clear, and I was surprised at the number of times I was unsure quite what I was supposed to do. Progression through the course seems reasonable, but lacks the sort of repetition of learned elements in a range of expanding contexts that seems to me essential. (I have yet to use the online facility, so I obviously cannot give a fair assessment in what must be an interim review.)

For me, the major issue is that the speech recognition software is not brilliant and, in my opinion, has nothing like the precision to ensure that correct pronunciation is being developed. I deliberately mispronounced phrases which were then marked correct, and was disappointed how wide the tolerance was of quite serious pronunciation errors that would inhibit communication in real-life situations. Developing a good 'ear' for a new language is crucial and I really don't think that this course will really help sufficiently. And isn't lack of confidence in speaking the most significant obstacle for most people in language learning? (I'm sure the online facility would iron out one's incorrect pronunciation, but after the initial period, further charges are involved.) The games and other extension activities are fine, but at this price fail to compensate for weaknesses elsewhere.

Learning styles vary from person to person, but for me there is no single package that ticks all the requirements for my learning needs. However, of the initial learning programmes I have tried, I would really rate the Michel Thomas the highest: his courses explore limited vocabulary, but offer a surprisingly natural development of language building. One learns 'alongside' other learners who make mistakes, have their pronunciation and other errors continually corrected and their understanding of language structures developed. Surprisingly quickly one gets a handle on a range of tenses and the constant question, "How would you say .....?' really makes the learner think and build on previous learning. Focus is on those aspects which one will meet most frequently and help give the tools to extend one's learning into areas not covered. But no single package 'fits all' and I would still want grammar and vocab books to support my learning. MT is not cheap, (about £40 on Amazon) but significantly less expensive than the Rosetta Stone box. (And I could access close to 60 2 hour night school lessons at my local high school with special language learning status for the same cost as this box - that's 2+ year's of learning!)

I'm very glad I didn't pay for this review sample, and really wouldn't swap it for Michel Thomas, a grammar book and a handful of other supportive texts. If one ignores cost, it's not bad, but for my learning approach this seems a little too focused on the superficial appeal of the technology rather than the quality of the teaching and learning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn Italian the interactive and visual way, 1 Jun. 2012
Timbertwig (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
With this package, you get the basic software, Rosetta Studio for live online classes, Rosetta World for games, and a mobile app. There's no denying that, even though this language course is VERY expensive, you do get a lot for your money.

The downside is that if you're looking for a crash course, you should look elsewhere. This Rosetta course demands a long-term commitment from you. It offers so much that you could be justified in spending years studying it.

So far, I have been using this course for just a couple of weeks but I like what I have seen. The attractiveness of the interface, with the use of bright colours and good images, make learning more enjoyable. I like the visual and interactive elements of the course, something that was lacking in the other language courses I have tried in the past. The whole set up makes it relatively easy to remember words.

I have attended an Italian class which lasted for several months and I feel that I have learned more with this Rosetta Stone course in two weeks. It's not perfect - and it can feel overwhelming at first with the amount of options and settings - but persevere with it and you will be rewarded with better Italian grammar and a bigger vocabulary!

5.0 out of 5 stars Language learning made fun, 17 Dec. 2013
I have spent much of my life learning languages, but for the first time language learning is 99 % fun. The pictures, the sounds and the reviews make Italian stick in my mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Value for money - despite the high price, 20 July 2012
Mike Renshaw (Manchester) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This comes in a huge box, with lots of goodies in it - headphones & mic, software, manuals, mobile app and on line content access. I've used this for about a month, and although I'm not that good with new languages this has helped me to speak and understand some basic Italian.

However one thing to be aware of is that this is not quick - it's more designed for a long term learning and retention rather than a crash course. As it's designed for long term you do pick up certain phrases without realising it and this is when you realise how well structured the training is. One other thing I found useful was the voice recognition as this really does help with the punctuation and makes sure you don't sound too dopey (as I tend too!)

The downside is the initial cost, and also the time you need to invest to actually get anything from it. But if you do want to learn Italian and speak it proficiently then this is probably the best way to do it aside from going to a language class.

5.0 out of 5 stars rosetta stone italian course, 18 Mar. 2013
this course is very good and well put together. compared to other course it is streets ahead. it makes learnign easy and fun

4.0 out of 5 stars I have learned a LOT!, 17 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Mi piace questa serie, ha contribuito a essere una migliore speaker italiano. Mi piace la pasta. Ora posso scrivere piccolo Itialian per alcuni aspetti. Io sono speciale. Vorrei raccomandare questo pacchetto Rosetta Stone a chiunque voglia imparare anche l'italiano. Davvero molto buono!

2.0 out of 5 stars Very annoying installation process..., 29 Nov. 2012
Richard Madgin (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I received this on CD. Since my MacBook Air did not have a CD drive I forked out for an external one so I could use this expensive software. The installation process failed many times, and they also make it difficult to know which "registration code" you should be using to register the product.

Finally, the installation completed... Only to be told that now all of the modules ran online through my browser! I needn't have installed from CD or bought the external drive. How very irritating. :/

Otherwise, I am enjoying the product so far. There is also an app available to use on my iPhone using the same user code... This is handy and quicker to access than the site.

Rosetta Stone, Italian, Version 4, Level 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 (Mac/PC)[OLD VERSION]
Rosetta Stone, Italian, Version 4, Level 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 (Mac/PC)[OLD VERSION] by Rosetta Stone (Mac OS X, Windows 2000 / 7 / Vista / XP)
Out of stock