5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 10 Jan 2011
For some years I have sought the first book of this series in print, though I enjoyed the Sea Beggars sequence I wasn't enthralled by it. However there was something in the writing that I enjoyed but said "I can do better". The Ten thousand I turned to some years later and enjoyed, but again to a point. This earlier series is better, much better.

Kearney engrosses the reader in a way he sadly fails to in his later works. The story is delivered at breakneck speed and one is held entrapped in the tapestry that he weaves. Where depth and development of characters is lacking, this is more than made up by the telling of the tale. To outline this series in any way would do it injustice. I have enjoyed it in ways that I have not felt since my first reads of Martin and Gemmell though for different reasons.

If Kearney had carried on in this way he would be recognised as one of the finest of the genre. I heartily recommend this to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars next game of thrones, 8 Feb 2014
This review is from: Hawkwood and the Kings: The Collected Monarchies of God (Volume One) (Kindle Edition)
brilliant,a mixture of games of thrones and the borgias.It has battles ,intrigue,magic,betrayal religion and shapeshifting werewolves.It would make an excellent tv series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth a read - full of surprises, 15 May 2013
R S Moss (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Came across this recommended online, looking for series similar to Game of Thrones/ASOIAF. After a slow start, pretty impressed - while no GRRM, it is not the conventional adventure narrative it appears to be. I'm actually quite bored during the expedition chapters, but love the politicking which actually makes up much of the story. The text switches between diverse settings and povs, so even if you are not engaged by one strand you'll likely be looking forward to catching up with another.

Recommended as it constantly surprises. I was initially a bit put off by what seemed a conventional Orientalist Christian vs Muslim analogy, but it is actually far more sophisticated than it appears at first. One of the few of this kind of novel where I genuinely didn't know what was going to happen.