4.0 out of 5 stars Uneven, but parts are very good

4.0 out of 5 stars Uneven, but parts are very good, 19 April 2011
Julia Flyte - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bossypants (Hardcover)
I'm a Tina Fey fan. If you're not, there's probably very little chance that you'll like this book, but then you're also probably not reading this review. I enjoyed Bossypants, although it surprised me because 1) it's not really an autobiography, which is what I was expecting, and 2) while it's entertaining throughout, there are very few genuine laugh out loud moments. It reads more like a series of short essays about parts of Tina's life, spliced with essays about her views on subjects like body image, breastfeeding, photoshopping and raising a daughter. Some of these diversions are thoughtful and terrific, others are pretty ho hum and just read like padding.

The early segments about her upbringing are enjoyable, but I was especially interested in Tina's stories about moving into comedy and starting up 30 Rock. She's extremely self-deprecating about her own talent, barely mentions Mean Girls and only has one passing aside to the awards that 30 Rock has won. What she does talk about it the male dominated world that is comedy ("only in comedy, by the way, does an obedient white girl from the suburbs count as diversity") and the challenges of balancing work with her personal life ("my reverie of quitting my job is inevitably interrupted by someone who needs me to get back to work"). She also avoids getting into any territory that's too personal.

Some of my favourite chapters were the ones dealing with her personal relationships. A moving salute to her father - always referred to as "Don Fey". The hilarious cruise vacation that goes horribly wrong that was her honeymoon. Her guilt about having a nanny and her indecision about whether to have another child, knowing that it would mean an end to 30 Rock and unemployment for her 200 colleagues.

In short: an uneven read, but one that Tina Fey fans will undoubtedly enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The opposite opinion of the above reviewer., 21 April 2011
This review is from: Bossypants (Hardcover)
Tina Fey is currently being feted as American Comedy's leading light (recently won The Mark Twain Prize for American Humor on top of her Emmys), and those of us who love 30 Rock and her work on SNL will probably agree with that.
This book will delight people who enjoy Fey's sketches. You will find a wit that ranges from the best putdowns I have ever heard - aimed at those internet detractors she has decided are worth knocking out of the park, to beautiful social comedy in the tales of her high school and college years, and this woman is not afraid of lowbrow - she just makes it funny. Funnier than almost anyone else I can think of.

For me Bossypants is at its strongest when Fey is writing comedy, and only occasionally goes into fans-only territory when we have more of a celebrity memoir. Her opinions on things like working motherhood are of interest to people who want to know more about her, but they are less often funny. But this is a very small part of the book.

I reckoned that 80%+ of this book was *exceptionally* good, I found myself surprised that her comic writing is at least as funny as her sketch and screenwriting. It reminded me a little of reading Steve Martin - you are shocked that they are as good on a page as on stage or screen.

a Feythusiast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a letter from a friend, 24 May 2012
This review is from: Bossypants (Paperback)
An extremely funny one, that is. If you have to commute, and have a lot of time on the road, take this book with you.

It's written absolutely brilliantly, hilariously funny and easy to read, even for a dutch speaker like me. Tina Fey is an inspiration for a lot of people, aspiring screenwriters, actors, and moms-to-be. I really felt like reading a letter from a good friend, describing what a week he/she had, she will reveal things that seem pretty intimate and make you think about things in your own life.

Don't just buy this book because you love "30 Rock", buy it to have a great laugh, and a look into the private life of what is now a multi-awardwinning joke and storymachine.

What a woman!

3.0 out of 5 stars Fey-ning interest, 28 April 2011
Sam Quixote - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bossypants (Hardcover)
I usually ignore celebrity's books, mostly because the celebrity in question is someone unsuited to writing and is known for something else entirely. The only exceptions I can think of are Steve Martin and Woody Allen who have both written funny, clever books and Tina Fey follows this tradition by being an accomplished comedy writer and performer. Plus I'm a big fan of 30 Rock and have enjoyed her recent rise to fame through her impersonation of Sarah Palin and film roles like "Date Night" and "Baby Mama". So I had to pick up her book when it came out recently as I thought the essays would be hysterical and clever, and some of them were, but the memoir parts were less interesting.

What I realised when reading "Bossypants" was that I'm not actually that interested in Tina Fey. Sure I wanted to read about her work, but her personal life? It's not that interesting. Besides a horrific incident involving a stranger and a knife when she was a child (an incident she refuses to elaborate upon), she had a normal childhood and her struggles in adolescence and young adulthood mirror her character Liz Lemon's very closely. She basically is Liz Lemon. Except now Tina Fey is a lot more balanced and has a family she adores.

Her honeymoon, her daughter, her parents, her in-laws, random thoughts on motherhood and womanhood - they were ok, but to be honest I was bored. Maybe that has something to do with me being a dude. Maybe not. The book is sharply written but lacks the content to hold my attention, and while Fey can tell a story well, the characters in the stories never seem real, they only contain one well defined character - Fey herself.

The interesting parts in the book were what I expected - behind the scenes at 30 Rock and the Sarah Palin blitz. The interesting thing about the 30 Rock section was that it focused mostly on the writers, most of whom I'd never heard of, but Fey highlights her writing staff and puts forward their best contributions to the show. Some very funny stuff was showcased. Also we get a Photostat copy of Seth Myers' original script from the first Sarah Palin/Hillary Clinton parody.

There were some definite highlights in the book but overall you'd have to be a rabid fan to like everything in the book. For the more casual fan like me, I'd say skip to the 30 Rock/Sarah Palin sections for an interesting read as the rest doesn't hold up to the same interest level.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 27 Jan 2012
Beanie Luck Spud (Cotswolds) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Bossypants (Paperback)
Maybe im not used to Tina's style of comedy, but i had seen ppl raving about this book and thought ill take a chance on a fiver and i bought it.

Was it hilarious ? nope, there were parts of the book where i found myself skipping entire paragraphs.

There were laugh out loud funny moments, maybe 2 or 3 but thats it.

It was an ok way to while away a few hours but it is definitely not a 5 star book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulously funny audiobook, 26 Feb 2012
TG "What I Read and What I Thought" (London, England) - See all my reviews
So glad I tried this as an audiobook - I loved it. I found myself not wanting to stop listening and trying to fit it into as much of my day as possible.

Bossypants isn't some groundbreaking text - it's a fairly typical humorous biography - but what it is, is straight-up enjoyable from start to finish. Fey describes her life, from her childhood and early career, to 30 Rock and the birth of her first daughter and she never forgets to be hilarious while she's doing it. I laughed out loud multiple times and kept rewinding my favourite bits over and over.

Although Bossypants is mostly fun and light, I think what tips it over from 'like' into 'love' for me is how feminist it is. Fey doesn't preach at all, but she's a smart cookie and makes a lot of observations about society's attitude towards women, that are as seriously on point as they are witty.

I'm convinced that if you want to read this, the audiobook version is the way to go. Fey's narration is awesome - you get to hear her comic timing on the jokes and it doesn't even feel like narration; it feels like Fey is personally keeping you company and chatting to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 hours with Tina Fey!, 2 Aug 2012
This review is from: Bossypants (Audio CD)
5 hours spent with Tina Fey/Liz Lemon: I couldn't have used my time in a better way! I loved reading Bossypants, but to have it read by Tina is a total bonus and a great experience (be ready to have a silly smile plastered to your face when surrounded by strangers!). Fans of 30 Rock and SNL will love it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Starts well but gets slow, 6 Dec 2011
Robert (Uxbridge, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bossypants (Hardcover)
I don't know much about Tina Fey other than a couple of episodes of Thirty Rock I have watched. Saturday Night Live is unknown to me. Maybe that is why I found the early life and career of the author quite interesting. It was even funny in bits. But as soon as we get to SNL (as it is called) or 30 Rock country then everything slows and becomes self referential. So it is hard to laugh at situations where existing knowledge is required. The sketch of Sarah Palin and Hilary Clinton was just dire. But is hailed a comic genius. All in all I found it getting slower and slower and gave up after a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, 12 Jun 2011
S. Brown (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bossypants (Audio CD)
A brilliantly entertaining five hours of listening. I was not a huge Tina Fey fan before buying this audiobook but simply fancied something light-hearted and funny to put on the ipod on holiday and with 'Bossypants' I hit the jackpot. Tina Fey is an engaging reader who is extremely easy to listen to. Her observational comic style of writing really struck a chord with me with countless hilarious anecdotes - serveral stories based on what her daughter has said causing me to laugh out loud because of the essential truth Fey uncovers (a type of humour she herself discusses in the book). Rather than a book written 'just for laughs', this is well-written and has given me a desire to explore other things Fey has been involved with. The only qualm was during the later sections of the book where Fey would often repeat sentences or words which I could not work work out whether they were chapter titles, Fey fumbling her words or a fault with the audiobook. This was however not a major problem whatsoever and this audiobook is highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 20 July 2014
This review is from: Bossypants (Paperback)
Ok but unexpectedly boring. The reviews, both press and Amazon, had raised my expectations very high so maybe it's unfair to be too critical, but I was surprised to find myself struggling to get through this (I didn't make it). The writing is funny but the story is not that gripping. Maybe for really committed fans.

Bossypants