Format: Audio CDChange

on 17 April 2012
I think this might be a Marmite release. If you're already a fan of either Aesop Rock or Rob Sonic individually, then you will LOVE this. If you don't feel particularly strongly about the abstract lyrical stylings of these two, then you might not get quite as much out of it. It's got some incredible beats, but quite leftfield in approach as per usual. I particularly loved the beat juggling middle 8 on "Meter Feeder" courtesy of DJ Big Wiz, but I found the general direction of the music closer to "Felt 3" than earlier solo efforts, so if you're looking for another "Daylight" you're not going to find it here. It's altogether pretty dark, from the artwork to the music and subject matter - but it also remains very humourous throughout, supposing you get the references. It'll be a few more listens before I get them all myself tbh, which I find adds longevity to a rap record, but some may find frustrating. On the other hand, you probably didn't accidently stumble accross this review looking for anything particularly mainstream in the first place, so you'll probably enjoy it as much as I did.

Another strong release from Rhymesayers, and it'll keep me going until Aesop Rock's new album comes out in the summer.
on 5 September 2011
The fact this was aesop rock's latest work was what attracted me originally. But listen through and you'll find both aes and rob sonic give excellent lyrical and rhythmic performance. The highlight of this album is definitely church pants which has some of the best lyrics and production from any artists I've seen.

Word of warning if your looking for smooth flow you're not going to find it, "Are you gonna eat that?" is a sharp, jagged yet refined album which complements aes and rob sonic perfectly. All tracks on this album are great but Church pants, Smock and (the hilarious) breakdance beach really stand out. This album is also heavy on the production but this doesn't by any means diminish the brilliant rapping. To be honest this album is a hit or miss, if you prefer old school rap it won't suit you, if you're into the mainstream stuff it won't suit you, but any fan of indie hiphop, rhymesayers in particular will find one amazing album.

So overall an awesome entrance into the industry from this group, not to everyone's taste for sure but if you're fan of aesop's earlier work this album will impress and stupefy.