5.0 out of 5 stars Great album
Been a fan since the first record, but for some reason was a bit indifferent about buying this and waited until it came down in price. I have to say I think its their best record yet and is in fact something you don't find very often, a really cohesive record. I've been playing it from start to finish regularly since I bought it.
Published on 15 Mar 2012 by c2

3.0 out of 5 stars Snow White it's not
I loved their first two albums but was not over impressed with the third 'This Gift'.
However some reviews suggested this album (their fourth) was a return to their earlier strengths i.e passionate, angst ridden music.
Published 10 months ago by Peter Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 15 Mar 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Return to form, 18 Jan 2012
This review is from: Mirror Mirror (Audio CD)
Don't get me wrong their previous album This Gift is a great commercial album. But it lacked the sheer individual brilliance of their Repulsion Box album, which didn't leave my CD player for months. Mirror Mirror is a return to the kind of minimalist, sheet aural experience, with a strong hint of Glaswegian menace flowing through the lyrics and underlying beats. This is a stunning album, and will be on my playlist for months to come. A true return to what makes Sons and Daughters an unmistakable band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another masterpiece., 7 Sep 2011
Mr. J. R. Coupland (Somewhere on Earth) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Mirror Mirror (Audio CD)
On this, their fifth album, Glasgow's finest drop back the shiny production work on their previous album (2008's This Gift) to create a raw, minimalist work of raw power. Songs such as Orion, first single Breaking Fun, and, in particular, opener Silver Spell, are sparse and elusive, as much about the lack of sound as the actual sound itself. Other songs, notably second single Rose Red, wouldn't sound too out of place on the previous album, but still have a rawness that Bernard Butler's production for that album smoothed out somewhat.
The album drips with menace, songs such as Axed Actor (concerning the Black Dahlia murder of the 1940s) bringing out the feel of the dark side of glamour that the band do so well. Overall, it's likely to be - as with all three of their previous albums - my favourite record of this year, and may well be the band's strongest collection to date.

3.0 out of 5 stars Snow White it's not, 10 Sep 2013
Peter Hill ""yoghurtknitter"" (Waterville Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mirror Mirror (Audio CD)
Up to a point it is, but although the emotions are back to the fore the album generally lacks the melody and strong songs of earlier albums, with one or two exceptions.
It's dark & gloomy throughout and is overall claustrophobically oppressive.
The light in the darkness and the best track on show is 'Rose Red' which has a driving rhythm, twangy guitar, excellent (female) vocals with Siousie Sioux style "whoops" and a great wig-out ending.
Some of the other tracks are not without merit especially 'Ink Free' but as a whole i found it a difficult listen and not as enjoyable as 'Love the Cup' or 'The Repulsion Box'.

4.0 out of 5 stars A change in style, 26 Nov 2011
This review is from: Mirror Mirror (Audio CD)
After the brilliant This Gift it was going to be hard to match that high standard and sadly this album isn't quite up there. There are some great songs on there with the real standout being Rose Red. Scott also takes lead vocals on first single Breaking Fun which is very different for the band. They remain different from other bands musically and visually. Overall this album is a fine addition to any collection.

2.0 out of 5 stars a big disappointment, 22 July 2011
This review is from: Mirror Mirror (MP3 Download)
After being blown away by the sheer majesty of the 'This Gift' album, I bought this album with high hopes...Imagine my disappointment when I listened to it.. surely it canot be that bad I thought..it must be me, I am not in the right frame of mind for this but on subsequent listens I realised that it is just not that good...really , really disappointed. I cannot honestly think of one track from the album which I would play on my radio show ( Pulse 98.4Fm Friday nights 10pm -midnight) and I was hoping to feature it.

They have lost the guitar pop genuis of the 'This Gift' album and replaced it with shoegazing, sub joy division/souixsie and the banshees production.

Avoid.

Mirror Mirror
Mirror Mirror by Sons And Daughters (Audio CD - 2011)