5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Amazing!
Published on 20 Jun. 2011 by pinklavender

1.0 out of 5 stars Unimpressed
Published on 3 May 2012 by Skank

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Amazing!, 20 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Vax U89-MAF-P Air Force Pet Multicyclonic Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen & Home)
I am rather a cynic when it comes to electrical products. They might work for a few goes and then nothing! Well this hoover proved me wrong. I have two Jack Russells at the moment and the first time I used the hoover, I was stunned. My rugs and carpets had been covered in those annoying stick-in hairs that come with JR's and nothing would budge them! Not even my Marigolds covered in cold water! Just swiping the hoover over the rug once and I actually was able to see the whole brown colour of the rug... not the usual mottled effect I was getting from my other hoover as it left so many hairs behind. The other thing I like about this hoover is that it doesn't suck your rug up with it!! The Dyson did... I spent half my time grappling with the rug to get in out of the hoover suction area - like getting a head out of the Lion's mouth! Well no more! The U89 sucks up every bit of dust and hair strongly but without the major fight! Actually I was glad I was on my own - it was embarrassing the amount of stuff in the container! It certainly has the power of an Air Force Jet but without the devastation! Just a wonderfully clean room with brand new looking rugs and carpets! I wish I had found it years ago when I did dog and cat rescue! What a difference it would have made! Well done Vax - superb invention!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pet Vacuum Cleaner, 5 Jun. 2011
The Vax Mach Air Force Pet is a great vacuum cleaner. It is the best Pet Vacuum cleaner I have ever had. I have a cat who seems to leave cat hairs everywhere she goes. This vacuum cleaner picks up the hairs so easily especially when I use the Turbo Tool. This tool is amazing and very useful. The vacuum is a great upright cleaner but the extension and tools are even better as you can get into every corner of the house and clean the hard to reach areas. The dusting attachment is great and this is such a simple solution to removing dust from anywhere. I love the design of the vacuum and love that it is very sturdy and strong. It is a very welcome new addition to our home. I highly recommend this vacuum especially if you have pets that leave hairs anywhere and everywhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Vax U89 MAF P Mach Air Force Pet, 1 Jun. 2011
Although not as lightweight as I expected, this upright vacuum is pretty great.

The handheld extention for pet hairs worked wonders on my sofa and stairs. It was easy to use, with a detachable hose that stretched quite far. Bought time I found something that works on my dogs hair.

I have a shagpile rug in my lounge and it whipped over that with no problems as you are able to tune the vacuum to suit it's environment with a knob that shortens the brush length ie. you can go from hard flooring to longpile carpet with the twist of a knob - easy! I had struggled to vacuum my rug with my previous cleaner as it had a wand attachment and didn't get enough suction to get through the pile.

The general feel of the vacuum cleaner is sturdy, robust and up for the challenge. Emptying the cylinder is quite easy with the flick of a switch - although it's something I have to get used to as this is my first bagless vucuum cleaner.

This Vax comes with a 6 YEAR GUARANTEE.........I am amazed by this. 6 YEARS means they are confident that their products work, and work well.

I did make a marginal effort to read the instructions, but really needn't have bothered as looking over the vacuum and trying out a few bits and pieces was enough to know how it all worked.

Will definitely be buying the extension for the hose as it's not quite long enough to go all the way up my stairs and it was a little awkward to hold the cleaner and hoover at the same time. It also gets right into the edges which is brilliant.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unimpressed, 3 May 2012
I bought this vacuum to replace a Dyson DC14 that was a bit battered and had a failed motor. I have 2 German Shepherd dogs and can't live without a vacuum for longer than 12 hours due to the constant shedding of hair. I have had Dysons for the last 15-20 years, my DC14 from new. Being a bit financially stretched, I opted for this as it seemed to pack the power to cope with all the pet hair and dust as well as being reasonably priced.

I was initially impressed and had a good vacuum up and was pleased to see the bin contained some sand, grit and dust in the bottom, but very little dog hair. The height adjustment is good, plenty of variation for all surfaces, the turbo tool was fantastic at vacuuming the dogs beds, not as easy to manoeuvre as a Dyson, but not too heavy or cumbersome at all, and not too noisy. The handle was a little uncomfortable and a bit short for me and the flex had to be thrown over my shoulder as it was mounted so low down on the back of the cleaner that it trailed under the back wheels, on the backwards pulling action I was constantly running over it. A large dust bin, long hose and a multi tool were good features.

After 3 days of 10-15 minute vacuuming sessions, the cleaner seemed to loose some suction and I was noticing the carpet was looking less clean. I was also still very puzzled as to where all the dog hair was going, as there was hardly any of it in the bin. I decided to empty it even though there was less than half a centimetre of dust in the bottom of the bin. The dog hair mystery was solved immediately. All the dog hair had accumulated at the top of the plastic bin and had completely clogged the filter. The cyclone part at the top of the dust bin was also completely clogged with hair and debris and I was surprised there was any airflow left at all. It took ages to clean the filter and and I had to use a straightened wire coat hanger to unblock the cyclone unit, it was absolutely stuffed with dirt.

If you've ever used a Dyson, you will know that they don't clog, it's sufficient to strip down the cyclone unit for a bit of a clean once every year or two if it's used heavily, and to wash the filter about every six months or so. This thing was completely blocked after 3 days rendering it fairly useless.

I will be returning it within the next few days for a refund and I'll purchase a new Dyson which I should have done in the first place. This thing may suck like a demon at first, and may be "the most powerful vacuum cleaner in the world" as advertised for the first 20 minutes of use, but if it's going to completely clog within hours, it's next to useless unless you want to spend more time unblocking it than you do using it.

It completely fails to meet any of the claims in it's advertising, Vax Customer Service representatives are as helpful as a raspberry jelly and fail to understand that if something is boasting it "doesn't clog" "it's filters stay clean" "it has constant suction" "suitable for homes with pets" then telling you to clean the filters to maintain the suction is completely hypocritical and defeats the whole marketing ethos of the product.

Just be honest Vax, say you've tried to imitate the performance of a Dyson and failed miserably, but here's your poor effort anyway.

Almost 12 months on from writing my initial review, I still get annoyed by how useless this vacuum actually was and how completely futile it was trying to get Vax to acknowledge that this product wasn't fit for purpose and far from met it's advertising claims. I suppose I was fortunate in that I did eventually receive a full refund from the retailer I purchased it from. I've just noticed Argos are selling them for £79.99. A bargain you may think, you couldn't be more wrong. It'll cost you that on phone calls to Vax the day after you've bought it when you ring them to tell them you think it has a fault because it's lost suction.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Cleaning - Some minor flaws, 13 Oct. 2011
A. Martin "Ady" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
I needed a new vacuum cleaner, I had every intention of purchasing a Dyson. Having owned an earlier version of 'the animal' a few years ago, the only thing that let it down was the degradation of parts such as the hose and brushes which were very expensive to replace. I Hoped they might have improved the Life expectancy with the newer models and was ready to give them another chance. As I perused the various models on offer, I started to consider a cylinder type, maybe it was more suited to my terraced home but then I remembered my dog! Now, allegedly, Akitas only shed twice a year, Nonsense! they shed in various stages, you get about 6-8weeks of very little shedding where they are soft and oh so cuddly then a little hair starts coming out, then a lot, then loads, you can brush until either you or the dog simply cannot take any more but you'll never finish, the heavy shedding slows to moderate and then you have another magical 6-8 weeks before the process begins again. It's like groundhog day! the hair is supersoft and fine and comes mostly from the dogs undercoat. You've really got to see this stuff to believe it. Ultimately my animal killed 'the animal' it would have no problems seeing off a cylinder vacuum i was sure. I'd cut corners when I replaced that vacuum, purchasing a much cheaper vax model for about 60 quid from netto, that too could only manage a couple of years and 3 replacement belts before i decided to put it to pasture. No, I wanted upright but now that I was staring them in the face, I just couldn't trust the Dyson, It just didn't feel right, I'd been burned once, I didn't want to go back there again. Then I saw her! Like Boudicca herself. defiantly standing on her own display stand surrounded by her Dyson enemy. In her shadow stood a display board claiming 'the most powerful multicyclonic vacuum cleaner'. But it was 'Vax', We've already killed one of those, it took less time than it did to put the Dyson in it's grave, that would be even more stupid. This one does have a 6 year guarantee tho'... No, I can't buy that out of principal, once bitten and all that, having said that, it was a little unfair, that was a cheap Vax, not 'the most powerful...' Aaaaaahhh, it's only a bleedin' vacuum cleaner, how sad of me to waste so much time on this, you've been here half an hour now, I think the staff are thinking your some sort of Hoover pervert! Make a decision!
Not one to rush into these things I got the old phone out and hammered around a few sites to find out what the downlow was on the vax, what price can I get it for, compared it against the competition blah blah blah...
So, I bought it then, but you knew that. Why on earth would I post a review about something I hadn't purchased. I like it, but you knew that too. Why on earth would I give 4 stars to something I didn't like?
The adjustability, suction, tools, length of chord, ease of use (including emptying and cleaning of filters) are all high point scorers for me. I have mostly hard floors but a large rug and a large wool carpeted room plus stairs and a combination of normal upright usage and wand/pet tool usage work an absolute wonder. brilliant cleaning. The dog is in a low shedding phase at the moment but I still managed to fill the dust collector on this after a full house vaccing. I also found it very smooth to push around.
The only reason anyone should have for not buying this, apart from not needing a new vacuum cleaner is if they cannot live with the flaws. I can live with these but obviously I would have given 5 stars had they not existed in the first place. These flaws include: Poor cable tidy, not big enough to actually keep all the cable in place, the clip in the cable comes undone which doesn't help this issue. Incredible heat produced, I have decided to make this a plus point. If the house feels a bit chilly, do the vaccing! you get warmed up from the excercise and you also heat up every room as you clean, it's literally like pushing a fan heater around for a bit! bonus in winter, not looking forward to next summer, mind you, what am I saying, it's England, what summer! My final flaw is that it is quite stiff to pop in and out of upright/reclined position. Not a problem for me but someone of a more sleight build than myself may find it more of an issue. Some people may also find this item a bit weighty.
I haven't had the troubles others have with tools falling off and I've not had the thing long enough to know how it will last build quality wise but that 6 year guarantee gives me plenty of faith.
Overall a really good product but has some issues that may put some people off.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works very well if you set it up properly, 21 May 2011
Vinman666 (Essex, U.K.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The U89-MAF-P is billed as the most powerful multi-cyclonic upright cleaner on the market and is apparently particularly suited to pet owners and allergy sufferers. I was a bit dubious about this claim, remembering my experience with the similarly hyped and very poor Dyson cleaner 'The Animal', which was OK new but very soon deteriorated. Bits broke off it and turned out to be expensive to replace.

The good news is that the Vax is very powerful - so much so that if you don't set it up right, it's very hard to move once switched on as the suction almost seals it to the floor! There is a height adjustment control on the front that raises the level of the brushes depending on the depth of pile on your carpet or hard floor. The carpet I tried it on has quite short pile so I set it to the lowest setting and then struggled to move it. Once adjusted it's quite light to move and it's very powerful. It actually lifted the pile of the carpet in places where it's well trod, which was a bonus.

I particularly liked the way it managed to get dust from the edge of the carpet, where fitted carpets can sometimes have a 'gulley' against the skirting. Our old cleaner, quite a decent one, never managed to get that dust without using the hose with an attachment. This one just sucked it right up. I cleaned our hallway, which was only cleaned the other day, and was almost embarrassed at the amount of extra fluff and dust it managed to pick up.

The extension arm quite cleverly fits into the body of the machine and there is an extra long power lead so you don't need to unplug and re-plug quite so often.

Downsides are that the holders for the lead on the back are quite close together and low down, so winding the cable on requires bending low. Something to bear in mind if you have a bad back. Also if carrying it up stairs, the only places to hold it are the removable extension arm or the cylinder handle, both of which are held in place by plastic clips. These have taken the weight so far but time will tell if they wear over time. But the cleaner does have a 6 year warranty so hopefully won't be an issue.

In summary I was very pleased with the performance of the cleaner.

1.0 out of 5 stars worst Vac ever, 13 Sept. 2012
I don't usually review products but I feel strong enough about this vac that I just had to.

I have been using this vac for over 6 months now so it can't be said that I haven't given it a chance. Firstly the good points

1. it has strong suction.

now the bad points,

1. I'm over 6ft tall and weigh over 16 stone. I'm a regular visitor to the gym and play sport at least twice a week. "So what you may ask?" Well pushing this vac around is like a work out. I find I have to 'set it off' on the forward stroke with my knee or thigh just to get it moving...it really is hard work and doesn't glide over the carpet. We've not got thick pile carpet or anything fancy, the machine is just really stubborn to get going. I've tried to move the setting on the front to a higher position and it does ease the pain a little but the carpets do not clean as well.
2. When using it on our tiled floors (even on the hard floor setting) it doesn't pick up dog hairs, bits of grass etc. It just seems to flirt them out of the back of the machine.
3. the hand held power tool stopped working, the brush just would not spin around. I stripped it down and removed a bit of fluff from the inside, I even gave it a splash of lubricant...and to be fair this seemed to do the trick. After 2 cleans of the stairs, the power tool again refuses to spin the brush head.
4. I no longer use the cable tidy as the top and bottom hooks are not far enough apart to easily and quickly wind the cable up. I just wrap the cable up myself and perch it on top of the vac...not a massive issue but it grates a little when combined with all other problems.

The best/worst for last.

5. we have a dog and a cat (both short haired) and 2 people in the house with long hair....not excessive. However after every run through the house I have to strip the machine down, removing bits of hair and fluff from most of the multi cyclones and the top part of the collection chamber. I also have to wash the filter after every use. If I don't do this then the suction performance drops considerably. I've had dysons in the past and this type of maintenance was a twice yearly process at most...not with this Vax.

I can't wait until this Vax packs in so I can 'legitimately' go out and get a dyson. Don't be fooled by the high air watts suction figure as I was....it comes at the cost of almost re-building the machine after every use.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, 12 Jun. 2011
A customer (Asturias) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an industrial looking hoover that has a very good suction and will clean your floors very well.

The main problem with it resides in its design which is not very ergonomic.

It can be very noisy indeed and one can adjust the suction power with an easy wheel at the front of the unit.

Is quite heavy compared to its competitors and can be hard to steer in small rooms and tight corners

The main unit can detach easily from the base when being moved and that can result in catastrophic spillage of dust everywhere.

Thankfully the lead is quiet long and I can hoover my top floor without needing to change the unit to another power point.

The attachments for the accessories and the lead are very flimsy and causes the attachments to fall all the time ,so I have resorted to leave them in the utility room in stead.

The unit came with a free 6 years guarantee which is something very welcome these days.

In summary a powerful hoover with a long lead and also a long list of issues that need correcting.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed, 6 Nov. 2012
Lorraine Zima "arwen girl" (Norwich UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this VAX product as I had previously purchased VAX cleaning equipment and our home has pets. I should have been suspicious when the first delivery arrived and parts of the vacuum were broken. After some long drawn-out negotiation, I was asked to return item (thank goodness I had retained the box), and in due course a new machine arrived. I unpacked it expectantly and started to use it. I became suspicious when no dust/dirt appeared in the glass cyclone. But I persevered (maybe I shouldnt have) and emptied it often as it appears the dust and dirt was all getting trapped in the top motor unit and not going to the cyclone collector.
I have tried to get in touch in turns with Amazon, oCean Trading in Scotland - the suppliers, and VAX all with no real luck to any satisfactory resolution. I am now quite despairing at buying anything similar through Amazon - who I believe should have replaced this fault unit immediately. Likewise have been totally unable to get in touch with VAX despite many failed phone calls and emails. Can anyone HELP? I doubt it........my advise, steer clear of this product unless you are prepared for hassle and problems!

1.0 out of 5 stars Made for pets?! hairless ones maybe, 11 Jun. 2011
I reviewed this product some months ago and gave it a 3 star rating, but have since come to dislike it so much I thought I ought to review my review!
When I got this vacuum I lived in a ground floor flat with wooden floors. The machine coped fine, was clunky and not very well made, but acceptable. We have since moved to a three storey carpeted house, and after a week went out and bought a dyson.
The machine itself is badly made - it feels cheap, as if it will fall apart at any moment. The extra nozzles don't fit into their allotted slots on the back of the machine, and therefore fall off whilst you are vacuuming, which is rather painful if you don't have shoes on at the time! The fact that the cable hooks don't actually hold the cable up, means that you are constantly having to stop to move the cord out the way, or getting in a tangle. Even when not in use, the hooks for the cable are too small, so it all falls off in a mess. This machine is VERY heavy. I am fit and healthy and managed to strain my shoulder cleaning one room. On carpet the resistance is even greater than on wood, making it really uncomfortable.
Whilst on a wooden floor the actual suction of the machine seemed very good, on carpet it turned out to be awful. I spent 20 minutes just vacuuming the living room, only to find that the carpet was still embedded with dog hair. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want to spend three hours vacuuming my house! Additionally, the weight of the machine means that on stairs it can get a bit risky, both for the machine and the safety of the operator.
This is supposed to be a pet specific machine and I was really disappointed with its lack of oomph. There are many dogs out there which shed far more than ours, and this just wouldn't cope. We have used our dyson once (30 mins to do the whole house) and it looked spotless.
For the price of this machine I think its quality of build and ability to do the job at hand are, frankly, very poor and I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.