5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely fresh food
Published on 6 July 2011 by Carrie

3.0 out of 5 stars Check it out in a bookshop before you buy
Published on 30 April 2011 by Clementine

3.0 out of 5 stars Check it out in a bookshop before you buy, 30 April 2011
This is a very pretty celebrity cookbook, perfect coffee table book. It has a good selection of simple recipes which are enhanced by beautiful photos and rather interesting introductions+anecdotes -a pleasant read if you are a G Paltrow fan. However, apart from a few recipes, I had a definite sense of deja vu as I flicked through. I am not saying that the recipes are not good but a lot of them are nothing to write home about if you already have a few good basic cookbooks. If you don't, not a bad buy at all, if you do, check it out first before buying to see if it meets your expectations or you might be disappointed...

3.0 out of 5 stars Feels like being spoken to by a friend, 20 Oct 2011
Gwyneth has a great conversational style that really carries her love of food and family. It's a neatly laid out cookbook with nice photography, easy to follow recipes and enough stories from Gwyneth to make it really personal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely fresh food, 6 July 2011
Carrie (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
I really like the way Gwyneth has set out this book and her approach to food in general. It is clear she loves food and, like all of us, food has a strong association with family, friends and, generally, good times and memories. I have only tried one recipe as yet, the crab cakes, which were delicious and whilst they may not have looked as neat and even as Gwyneth's they tasted absolutly lovely. I like recipe books with a bit of character and where the author's personality shines through. It feels a bit like my sister is in my kitchen with me reading Gwyneths chatty style.

I have enjoyed flicking through this book as much as i have enjoyed cooking from it!

UPDATE (01/08/11): I have now made the Oatmeal Raisin Cookies which are so easy to make and really delicious. I think the maple syrup really makes them special. Its hard to believe the ingredients are all healthy options when the cookies taste so indulgent! I have also made a couple of the salad dressings. Again all very tasty. Finally, the kale crisps are lovely and I would never have thought of preparing kale this way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delish!, 14 Mar 2012
I bought this last week and have made 2 things (Lalo's cookies and apple muffins) - all I can say is that the ingredients were not hard to find (must say I really have never cooked with spelt flour before, nevertheless even really heard of it) and although I was short of Vermont maple syrup 100% organic maple went over just fine and they were absolutely as tasty as could be! It has left me now researching other macrobiotic-ish cookbooks and I am now in a process of changing most of what I eat merely by changing the ingredients. I'm not interested in going vegan or even vegetarian but I am interested in recreating my favorite meals in the most healthiest way possible. I need to find more cookbooks along this line. Thanks Gwenyth, I'm on a new path and looking forward to the next recipe!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very good recipes book, 28 Dec 2011
Oliver! "Tea house warrior" (Saltaire, West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I am puzzled by negative reviews this books gets, but suppose so many men so many minds.

I personally found it to be very inspiring and useful. I own dozens of good cookery books, and if I can find one recipe from a book that I would use more than once, I consider money well spent. In quite a lot of celebrity chefs written books I could not find any, maybe with the exception of some J Oliver books. Here she may be a movie star but her cooking style is very simple. There may be some recipes with lobsters or exotic ingredients, well if this is part of her weekly shopping list (suppose she can afford it!) then why not? There are still plenty of simple recipes for the rest of us.

Book is beautifully printed with great photos - personally I find it hard to use a recipe book that does not have good pictures. I also like the fact than many recipes are made for the children, which I as a parent of young kids can only appreciate, there are not many kids recipe books out there.

Most recipes are light, easy and - can I say so? - optimistic, there is nothing laborious about them at all. They are simple enough for everyone to make.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love,love,love!, 26 Jan 2012
I have never reviewed a book on Amazon before but I am so inspired by this book that I felt I had to share how great it is! I am a mum with 2 small kids and am constantly trying to find new healthy recipes that they will enjoy. So far the chicken Milanese, the courgette pasta and the corn fritters are weekly stables in my home. The miso dressing is out of this world and transforms any salad and tonight I'm trying the chicken stir fry. I will admit that initially it sat on the book shelf but now I adore it!

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, 4 Oct 2011
This is the book that I have been looking for!! All the dessert (or atleast most of them) contain alternative to sugar ... using maple syrup/agave or brown rice syrup instead and they taste even better than cookies and muffins that contain sugar and butter ... they make eating them healthy and guilt free for me and my children ... all other recipes are delicious and I am slowly making my way through the book ... not being disappointed even once

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised, 11 Sep 2011
I got this out of the library in order to see what I thought of it as I am running out of cookbook spaces - especially as people buy me ones I'm not interested in. Cookbooks are essentially a personal thing: I don't like Jamie Oliver's or Gordon Ramsey's style - since they're chefs and money is no object and someone else does the cooking I find their books irritating or complicated. I am, however, a massive Nigella fan - Nigella Express & Kitchen are great. Anyway, I thought I liked the look of some of the meals and I have enjoyed making some stuff out of it. There's simple, complicated, normal and super-healthy, etc. However, remember, Gwyneth lives in London where she has access to red miso, a variety of noodles, brioche loaves you cut yourself etc. Some of us who don't live down south (and I wouldn't say I am a million miles away from civilsation) may struggle. She recommends websites - great! - except the Asian website she offers wants 14 for its cheapest delivery fee. Alas I don't think so. There is the sense at times that crabs, lobsters, duck, and unique ingredients are abundant everywhere or that normal Jo is prepared to pay a fortune for delivery. Sorry Amazon you have spoiled me with free delivery! Despite this the lemon and parmesan pasta is nice, the duck broth and pea & basil soup (her version - similar and fresher to Nigella's) all have potential. Also please note: she doesn't eat red meat and her daughter is a vegetarian so there's one beef recipe. Red meat lovers: don't bother! There's a lot of nice duck recipes which might provide a refreshing substitute. My recommendation: buy it (it's a reasonably priced book at a tenner or so) but don't necessarily expect to be able to make everything - especially if you're not a fan of seafood.

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential..., 3 Oct 2012
I bought this book when it first came out - sometime in 2011. At the time of writing this review I have just had to order a second copy because my first is so battered and torn, with pages stuck together from so much use at the side of my stove. This is the only time I have actually had to replace a cookbook because I have used it so much - and that in a little over a year. The book itself is a lovely item, with beautiful photography, clearly presented recipes and narrated all the way through by Gwyneth Paltrow, who writes thoughtfully about food and family. The recipes are generally easy to prepare, healthy, varied and delicious. I have not been disappointed by one single recipe. Many of the recipes from this book are now staples in my house and her teriyaki salmon got my kids eating salmon. I can't recommend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favourite cook book, 14 Jun 2011
I don't normally review the things I buy however having cooked my 3rd recipe from this book after only having it a week I just have to rave about it.

The recipe for spaghetti with lemon and parmesan I made out of pure curiosity with the take away menu waiting by the phone but not only was it quick to make (while looking after 3 young children) it blew me away. So tasty!!! I woke up this morning to find my other half had been to the shop for more parmesan clearly hinting to make it again.

The recipes are so simple to follow and not fussy at all yet so amazing I can honestly say I'd rather cook these than eat out. My 2 year old has wolfed down every meal so far which clearly is a bonus!

Also my food shopping bill was not a penny more than usual despite using alot of recipes from this book this week which I often find is a reason I don't cook from some of my books, eg Nigella as often.

The books is also beautifully printed and the stories and love for food family and life Gwyneth has really inspire me.

Off now to cook up a butternut squash soup for lunch and a veggi chilli for tea!

x x x