5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised by the negative reviews...
I bought this watch as an impulse buy at the airport and having used it 7 or 8 times, I'm quite surprised by the one and two star reviews. My experience is that it's simple, straightforwards and "just works".

Initial software installation and setup on Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) was worked flawlessly, with the connection software updating the watch's firmware and...
Published on 4 Dec 2011 by FlyingStantoni

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks great but let's you down
I would only buy this watch if you think it looks really cool - which it does by the way.
But as for functionality, it is terrible. Really terrible.
I don't want to be negative - and I really did want to like this device - but honestly, I really think it needs rethinking.
I bought it in London three weeks ago before doing the UK 70.3 Ironman event in...
Published on 2 July 2011 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 324 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars I Would NOT recommend this purchase, 15 Oct 2011
This review is from: Nike+ SportWatch GPS powered by TomTom - Black/Volt (discontinued by manufacturer) (Sports)
The Nike+ Sportwatch GPS is attractive to look at and comfortable to wear. Better still it is very easy to use and the display is first class. That is where the good news ends...

When I tried to synch the computer and watch the software does not see the watch and simply says "Please Insert Nike+ Device" I have cleared the software and re-downloaded several times to no avail and read a very large number of reports with users experiencing the same problem - but very few reporting a solution. I have e-mailed Nike and await feedback from their support team. I have wasted best part of four hours on finding a resolution and to be frank life is just too short.

Other reviewers have reported the same problem and I now wish I had taken heed. Products which are released before they are adequately tested just do not deserve to succeed. I use an Apple Mac OSX 10.7.1. In short my experience with this product has shifted from deep joy, to frustration, to anger ... I am quietly hoping I will get my money back and will look for an alternative - less cool- but workable option.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent GPS watch but with some niggles and flaws., 1 Sep 2012
NeilC (Windsor, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Have run about 1,000km with this Nike + watch now, so have given it a really good run out. Overall it's a good watch, comfortable to wear, accurate GPS that is very useful for the casual / semi-serious runner, but it is let down by a few design niggles that can make it a bit frustrating.

Positives
- Looks good, not too chunky, though would be a stretch for everyday use.
- Good clear display very easy to read on the run.
- Good options for the display (distance, pace, etc.)
- Finds the GPS quickly (about a 1 minute) and is accurate, beating my iphone on marked courses to be within 1%
- Works very well with Nike+ pod chip to improve accuracy and avoid dead zones.
- The menus on the phone are easy to navigate.
- Integrated USB connector is very sleek and works well.

Negatives
- The Nike + website for looking at routes etc. is nowhere near as good as the other various sites (Endomondo, Strava, RunKeeper etc.) and you can't upload from watch to these sites like you can with a Garmin. Might be OK if you just want a basic record.
- For some strange reason you can only change some of the menu options (e.g. what appears in the two read-out areas, miles or km) by connecting the watch to your computer and using the software.
- While it's trying to find the GPS signal it gives you a quick start option (to track the run using the nike + chip) but it doesn't subsequently find the GPS, just switches off for the entire journey.
- Battery life is generally good (lasts easily for a long several hour run) but randomly it will drain quickly while you've left it idle for a while. Very frustrating as you'll get ready for a run and suddenly discover the watch you fully charged 3 days ago and haven't used is completely dead. When it does this it resets the date on the phone - crazy!
- When recording records on the phone it appears to have some bugs. E.g. running a 6km run at an average pace of 4m0s and it will tell you that your 5km best time is still 20m30s or something when you've clearly beaten this. Similarly when you beat 5km and 10km records in the same run, it will only update one of them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple to use, not too naff to look at, 18 Jun 2011
Although maybe not the sort of watch to wear when you're not running, it actually looks OK. Comfortable to wear and lightweight. The large size of the digits on the main screen is great for those who take their glasses off when running. The smaller screen at the top is just about big enough and there is a facility to scroll through between total time, pace, distance etc. For a veteran runner the big digits are a plus but a slightly louder bleep would also have been helpful. It is quieter than the Garmin Forerunner. Whether or not the words of encouragement that pop up on the screen at the end of a run are welcome or not will be a matter of taste, but easy enough to ignore. After struggling with the Garmin Forerunner and still being irritated by it after a year and a half, I am glad to move to Nike. Don't worry if you don't wear Nike shoes, you will easily find online a small pouch to hold the foot pod that attaches just fine to the laces of your Asics etc.

1.0 out of 5 stars Be prepared to spend hours with Nike+ support, 16 Aug 2012
I was originally pulled in by the sleek look of this watch, and it was my first GPS running watch. I've since realized that it doesn't meet all of my needs. You can only access 3 data points on the watch when you're in the run, and you have to connect to a computer to change these data points or access info about your splits, elevation, maps, and anything else. This is problematic because the Nike+ website (which relies on flash) has been less than reliable, and when I first purchased the watch I was on the phone almost once a month to try and retrieve runs that weren't loading. The website was so unreliable that I started tracking my runs in an Excel spreadsheet just to have an accurate record.

The reliance on the website/software becomes especially problematic when the watch suddenly stops connecting to the website and gives an error message like, "USB device not recognized by computer." This is what happened to me about a year and a month after using the watch. A quick Google search revealed that hundreds (literally hundreds...look on the Facebook "Nike+ GPS Watch Problems" page and the notes on various blogs which offer fixes that somehow never work) of people are experiencing this same issue. I spoke with Nike+ support this morning and the woman laughingly told me that "tons of people" are having this problem and there's no solution for it except to replace the watch. Of course, since I was a handful of days outside of the warranty coverage, I'd be footing the bill for this replacement.

After TWO DAYS of searching for solutions online, reinstalling software, uninstalling USB ports and reinstalling ports, etc., etc., I am ready to be done with Nike+ GPS products forever. Save yourself the time and the money and just do what I should've done from the start: buy a friggin' Garmin. I'm just throwing in another negative review in the hopes that some consumer somewhere will take heed, or that my one review will contribute in its small way to the critical mass of negative reviews for this product. I'm certainly discouraging every runner I know from buying this.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just do it...I think not., 16 Aug 2011
First the plus points. It's a cool looking piece of kit, particularly when you compare it with the other GPS watches out there which look like something from Noah's ark. The display is very clear to read whilst running and the menus simple to navigate and use. The UBS connectivity built in to the strap is really neat and the whole packaging makes you want to like it.

Sadly the GPS unit's ability to initially link with satellites is woeful, on average I've found it takes up to 6 - 7 minutes to establish a connection which makes it pretty much hopeless as a means of accurately tracking runs and progress. In fairness once the watch is connected it's accurate at tracking and recording pace but I find the initially link delay and loss of the first mile really irritating.

Using the Nike Pod is equally ineffective, whilst it does allow you to quick start your run it stops the watch from connecting to the satellites and the pod is hopeless at accurately recording distance - I found a 5 mile run using the pod is recorded as 4.2 miles. There doesn't appear to be a way of calibrating the watch and pod, which given the watch has GPS seems daft.

The marketing blurb says "It's easy to start tracking your run instantly with the SportWatch". If you can live the fact that's nonsense and you've a training routine which means you can put up with the delay in starting your run then this may be the watch for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 12 Oct 2012
I have been looking for a GPS watch for a while
After reading the mixed reviews I took the plunge and it paid off.
The watch is so easy to use and looks great.
It was the Nike partnership with Tom Tom that made my mind up.
I don't have any negatives about it all pluses.
Records and totals all runs which you can review on the watch or the Nike website which shows you lots of statistics which help you understand where you can better yourself ie. running pace.
I live in Fife and picks up GPS signal no probs .
It's a show piece as a watch for general use
Easy to read, you tap the glass an the light comes on no need to fidget for small buttons when running when dark.
Wish I bought this months ago instead of reading other reviewers.
Hoping to purchase the heart monitor soon. more statistics :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, highly effective and very cool!, 26 Jan 2012
Mr. Ian Thomas "Swarley" (Cambridgeshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using a Nike+ foot sensor with my iPhone to track my running training for over a year, and I really like the system - simple but effective. The integrated iPhone app monitors progress in real time and says encouraging things at just the right moments. My only concern was how accurate the metrics were (if the distance measurements aren't accurate, neither is your speed), and generally speaking these simple pedometer-style sensors don't always do a perfect job. With that in mind, I jumped at the chance to test this more advanced Nike GPS watch as I was interested to see how the metrics from the built-in TomTom GPS would compare to the metrics I've been getting from the Nike+ sensor.

Initial setup is fairly straightforward. The watch needs to be charged up via a computer USB port (or a mains USB charger if you have one). You also need to install the Nike+ Connect software and set the configuration settings for both the watch and the software (simple stuff like gender, weight, etc.). If you haven't already got an account on the Nike+ website, you need to register for one and log-in using the Connect software so that your run data can be automatically uploaded to your account. This takes another few minutes but is definitely worth it as the reports you get from the website are fantastic, and you only have to do this once.

The watch itself is really easy to use, with an intuitive interface. The strap is fully adjustable and fits my skinny wrists easily. The chunky utilitarian styling looks pretty cool and works for both men and women. The screen is really clear both in the daytime and at night thanks to the excellent backlight - the only slight issue is the screen needs a good firm whack to turn the light on (but the manual points out this was by design to prevent accidental activation). The touchscreen is also used to signal the start of a new lap if you've configured one on your current route. When you're getting ready to set off, it can take a little while to locate the GPS satellites, but this will depend on your location and the weather conditions. The battery life is pretty good - it lasts for about 5 hours of use (with both the GPS and foot sensor activated).

The online system on the Nike+ website is fantastic - it can track your speed, the distance covered, the exact route you took, where you were fastest/slowest, etc. You can even watch a playback of your progress over time based on GPS data, which is seriously impressive. If you live in an area with intermittent GPS coverage, or you run through any tunnels or under buildings, make sure you use the supplied Nike+ foot sensor as well, so that when the GPS signal is lost it still tracks your progress and fills in the blanks between GPS readings. After running my regular route a few times, I was very interested to see that the actual distance I was covering was 2/3 of a mile shorter than my old Nike+ sensor alone was reporting, which is quite significant over a 7 mile route. This highlights the benefits of a genuine GPS-based tracker.

Software/firmware updates are taken care of automatically by the Nike+ Connect software, so you don't have to remember to do anything. When updates are downloaded, they are installed quickly and effectively, so it's hassle-free.

This is a great piece of technology, which is easy to use and genuinely useful for tracking progress. Highly recommended for anyone working on their fitness or training for a specific event. The built-in training plans provide an excellent way to progress without hiring a personal trainer! Well done Nike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full control, 28 Jun 2012
U. Nilsson (Aurora, OH USA) - See all my reviews
I have owned my Nike+ GPS for about six months by now. I am very satisfied. I use it with a pulse band and a shoe chip to get all possible data. The Nike+ site has been undergoing some updating lately and has been sometimes slow and that is my only concern really. When the run has been uploaded I get a map (or even a satellite picture of the area) of the course I ran, with altitude, heart rate, tempo and km marks. With a cursor I can check my data anywhere around the track and the course profile is grafically outlined. I get average tempo, heart for every km, etc. In other words I can analyse my training to death. As I happen to enjoy that I also enjoy my Nike+GPS. I get motivated by watching my statistics. Out on the course itself I don't pay any attention to the display. Needing reading glasses I can only see well the main info in big digits, you can chose between time, tempo, distance etc. there is also some info in small digits which obviously I can't see clearly. But that doesn't matter for me.
One thing is once you set the watch for running it will take maybe 1-3 min before it picks up the GPS signal. I typically switch it on when stepping out the door or out of my car and once I have walked over to the track it typically is ready. You can chose "quickstart" and then it uses the shoe chip for the first couple of minutes until it has picked up the GPS signal. I guess you the lose some info (such as the graphic display of the altitude and exact course on the map etc.) if you use that option but it is possible if you are stressed out by having to wait. All in all, I love this gadget it motivates me. It's worth every penny. But that's me.

3.0 out of 5 stars liked the watch until the screen went blank, 30 Jun 2014
I found this watch and the nike site pretty good - however after 8 Months the watch had condensation in the glass.
I only use this for running and was not even out in many really wet days.
Eventually the watch stopped displaying anything, returns people at Amazon were excellent
Received a full refund.
Sceptical about replacing it with another Nike watch!

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish alternative to other GPS watches, 29 Oct 2011
A. Yu (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
There has been a lot of hooha about the Nike GPS Sportwatch over the last few months and it's hard to make a purchasing decision when opinions are so polarised. Those who have no problems absolutely love it and those who have had nothing but problems simply loathe it. Many of the reviews out there are also from the watch's earliest firmwares which were fairly basic, lacking the simplest of things like a standalone stopwatch and even alarms for basic digital watch functionality. My review is based on the most recent firmware which has added such features and a few more bug fixes.

The watch looks and feels impressive on the hand. It is quite chunky, akin to a G-Shock watch and wears comfortably with the face on the back or the inside of the wrist. Despite being a guy, I have very slender wrists which are comparable to an average girl's and I have no problems wearing it comfortably. There is some weight to it, but if you regularly wear metal dress watches then you should have no problem with it. The body of the watch appears to have a soft touch plastic to it like what you find on a lot of mobile phones today. I'm not sure if I like this because it tends not to wear away too gracefully, potentially leaving your £180 watch looking terrible. The strap is chunky and has a buckle with two arms on it for extra security. The end of the strap has two poppers on the end to secure it down when being worn. The clever bit about the watch is the USB port is hidden away in the end of the strap, though the clip is made from simple plastic and I have my reservations about how long this will last upon repeated use. I also wonder what I will have to do once the battery needs replacing further down the line?

The latest firmware has finally brought many missing features to the watch. Watch mode now has an alarm function and you have the ability to change the time and date on the fly without hooking it up to a computer - great for travelling runners. The run mode now features pace, average pace, elapsed time, distance, calories and time. You can have any of these display as the main data field and any combination of them displaying in the secondary data field, auto scrolling or requiring the buttons to scroll through the list. A stopwatch has also been added to the main menu, which many people have campaigned for. You can also invert the display now to have black on white versus the regular white on black. Finally, GPS satellite locations have been updated to make linking up faster.

Running with it is a joy, especially because I am a Nike running shoe user so the footpod fits easily inside the shoe. I managed to get satellite and footpod lock on within 30 seconds and satellite lock on within 2 minutes by placing it next to a window whilst getting ready for a run. I tend to have my main display set to average pace with distance, elapsed time and immediate pace on manual scroll as my secondary data field. I wanted to test its distance accuracy and I plotted a 4.3 mile route using Google maps and took my iPhone along for a comparison. Doing 4 runs, they each came up as 3x 4.3 miles and 1x 4.31. My iPhone came up with 1x 4.28, 2x 4.3 and 1x 4.31 so it looks to be very accurate for me with very little movement. I live on the outskirts of Birmingham and I ran along several main busy roads and under plenty of trees with no loss of signal.

My only complaints are as I've mentioned above - battery longevity and wear & twear on the USB/buckle. I would hope the battery on this watch lasts a few years at least with regular use and recharges, though I would not be surprised if Nike were to launch a Mk2 watch in the next 18 months. The USB port also looks worryingly flimsy, though because it doubles as a buckle to secure the end of the strap, even if the clip breaks it should still stay in place whilst being worn due to this design. Make sure where ever you buy this watch from has a good returns policy! These are the reasons why I can't give the watch a 5/5, though they may surprise me and actually pose no problem at all in the future - only time will tell.

‹ Previous | 1 2 324 | Next ›