5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised by the negative reviews...
I bought this watch as an impulse buy at the airport and having used it 7 or 8 times, I'm quite surprised by the one and two star reviews. My experience is that it's simple, straightforwards and "just works".

Initial software installation and setup on Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) was worked flawlessly, with the connection software updating the watch's firmware and...
Published on 4 Dec 2011 by FlyingStantoni

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks great but let's you down
I would only buy this watch if you think it looks really cool - which it does by the way.
But as for functionality, it is terrible. Really terrible.
I don't want to be negative - and I really did want to like this device - but honestly, I really think it needs rethinking.
I bought it in London three weeks ago before doing the UK 70.3 Ironman event in...
Published on 2 July 2011 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 116 17 1824 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good product, 18 Nov 2012
Very good simple to use, I would say good value as well.I use the watch for timing football matches as well! sad but true!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 11 Nov 2012
This watch does exactly what it says on the tin. It provides excellent data on my runs and I love the Nike website.

1.0 out of 5 stars Glitchy and infuriating, 19 Oct 2012
I bought this sportswatch as an upgrade and replacement to the Nike+ wristband which had started playing up after about 3 years of constant use and finally refused to work. Less than 3 months into the life of my new and far more expensive device I have given up on it. It is so temperamental. It fails to link when I switch it on, and recently stopped uploading my runs, requiring a protracted exchange of emails with the Nike support centre(albeit helpful)before the bug in the device was repaired. At the moment, the device only works following a system restore, and I feel as if I have spent more time running solutions on my computer than I have running outside with it. All I want is a reliable device that records my runs and uploads them without hassle. This sportswatch has failed to do that. Time to switch to a different device altogether.

1.0 out of 5 stars Watch for Running needing improvements, 17 Oct 2012
This review is from: Tom Tom Nike Outdoor and Indoor Sports Watch with GPS - Black Volt (Sports)
The watch is a conveniently sized and shaped monitoring device with a clear display that can be customised through the downloadable software. When coupled with the Nike/iPhone shoe sensor that comes with the watch, the watch measures distances reasonably accurately. However, the GPS system can be unpredictable, both in location recording and in acquiring sufficient signals from the GPS satellites. The latter suggests a firmware problem, and now having subsequently read several reviews confirming this, I cannot believe that Nike/TomTom are not aware, yet do not appear to address the problem.

The other problem with the watch, and design of the software, is that the design is geared to runners only. You can only use the watch as a stand alone heartrate monitor if you set it up to think you have started a run. It can be used to monitor speed and distance for cycling, but only when you set this up with the online downloadable software (and then you cannot use immediately to measure pace for running - so not much use for duathlons/triathlons). When you insert your watch into your computer and it downloads your data, you cannot then select what type of activity you did and therefore it will just record it as a run, although you can delete this data. It is also not possible to download the raw data to any other package for customised analysis (as the Nikeplus site's graphing package is not very accurate in representing the data or analysing it).

On the whole, this is a good watch for your average runner who doesn't want to analyse the data in depth. For more serious training and for a variety of sports there are far better products available that do a better job for not much more money. For fun running the Nikeplus band will give you more or less the same data (just no GPS data) for a fraction of the cost.

When contacting Nike to ask about future development they just say they will consider suggestions, but todate no additional features have been added.

After four months of use, the inside of the watch face fogs when I run with it (worse on a cold day).

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than before, 27 July 2012
Mo "mo79uk" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used a similar previous model to this and while that appeared to improve after a firmware fix, this seems great from the get-go.
It looks swish and durable and, of course, if you're one to get motivated by numbers I don't see any good competing product. It can be a bit finicky at times (GPS), but not often.
Pricey yes, but worthy for what it is.

4.0 out of 5 stars the best nike+ gadget so far, 25 July 2012
it is a good watch. gps is accurate in serbia. a little hint: sync the watch JUST BEFORE you go to run an collect the newest gps data. it will fasten up your linking with the satellite significantly

4.0 out of 5 stars Improved with the update and some user knowledge, 19 July 2012
southcoastreviewer (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I was impressed when this watch first arrived. After wrestling with packaging that Alcatraz would have been proud of, I pulled out a sleek aesthetic watch that looks good just as a simple watch. But for the price, we all want a little bit more than that, no?

After a little bit of faff registering with the Nike website (which was generally easy enough but the Flash interface was annoying) this watch finally plug and played, and off I went.

The menus are easy to navigate, and the double tab backlight is a neat little touch.

The foot pod, if you don't have "Nike" compatible trainers, is a bit of a sly marketing ploy, but you can easily buy pouches and so forth to make it a cheaper experience and still get the full utilisation of the product THE SHOE POUCH BLACK

Test 1) in the back of beyond, doing a quick jogging circuit around the village I live in. Got a GPS signal fine and dandy, uploaded my results to the site, got nagged when I didn't jog again the next day (I had optimistically said I would do a little bit every day, hah!)

Test 2) jogging around the canals in Birmingham. GPS was almost impossible to get, I am guessing because of the height of the buildings (and the same reason I do not use sat nav, which I have seen have major fits in large cities).

The latter flaw makes it impossible to use in built up areas from the looks of things, which will knock out a potentially huge demography of people potentially wanting to buy this device. Hpwever, if you connect the watch to your laptop / computer shortly before you go on your run and download the latest satellite data, GPS sync is far more effective.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch, 6 July 2012
I'm only going to mention the bad things about the watch because I find all the rest amazing.

I do not like that it is really difficult to review your runs through the watch, yes you can the history of your runs but you can't go through each lap and review it with calm. After few seconds of showing your history runs the watch returns to the main screen.

I have not get used to tapping the screen in order to add a new lap, while running.

The nike+ website has a lot of bugs which are sometimes annoying.

For the rest I've had a lot of fun running with the watch lately.

5.0 out of 5 stars great gps watch, 16 Jun 2012
never used a GPS watch before, but this is very good to use. simple and effective. the nike plus web site is very good and it moti
vates you to get out there and RUN.would reccommend this watch the the runner or cyclist which i have used it for.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great potential, but the reality is very disappointing, 6 Jun 2012
I had been using Garmin products for a number of years, but the latest revisions have been poor and the price is always too high. So, I looked for a product that promised the key functionality that I wanted, without charging me the Earth. Thus I chose the Nike+ GPS watch.

First, the positives: It is very easy to navigate your way around the functions, looks good and the associated online 'workout' tracking software is, in theory at least, comprehensive. When it is capable of finding a signal, it does so quickly. The messages it displays post-run are a nice touch, if a little naff.

Then the negatives:
1)What we all want from a GPS running watch is switch-on-and-go fuctionality and reliability. I live in an area that never produced connection problems with any of my Garmin products, not so the Nike+. Three days after purchase, I failed to get a signal despite repeated attempts to do so. It should be noted that I had not moved hundreds of miles - I was in the same place I was the previous day when I had no problems. Mystified, I took to the FAQs and went with the suggestion of connecting my watch to my PC so that it could update satellite locations. Sure enough this worked, which means I now have to connect my watch to my computer every time I want to go for a run to be sure that I will be able to get a signal. This is a MAJOR inconvenience - what if I am away from home and my computer at a race and unable to get the latest updates?
2)It consistently fails to measure distance accurately - I run out-and-back routes mainly. How can I turn at the 5-mile point, retrace my route back home exactly and get 9.89 as my total? This NEVER happened with my Garmin.
3)On some longer runs I have had periods where the signal has been totally lost for a few miles, ruining the record of the run. It does come with a footpod, but I don't run in Nike shoes which means I had to purchase a shoe-wallet to hold the footpod to produce a safety net should the signal fail.
4) The average pace seems to randomly spike or fall, despite there being no major change in my pace or the terrain. Possibly related to the fault identified in point 2.
5) The website, although nice in design, doesn't always work (it is currently down as I type). It often fails to load the route map of my workouts. A minor point, but the suggestions for recommended runs of a 'similar' type near me are laughable - I've just ran 25 miles, why would I be interested in a 4km run 15 miles away?

Overall, nice ideas that are very poorly executed. I now use my Nike watch for less important training runs and my old Garmin for races. Waste of money.

‹ Previous | 116 17 1824 | Next ›