3.6 out of 5 stars1,483

on 20 June 2012
I bought these after having great experiences with JVC HA-F140-WE In-Ear Gumy Headphones - White.
I was fooled by the model number - thinking that F150 must mean it's better than F140 Gumy earphones, right? Sadly, I was mistaken.

So what's new in this so-called 'upgrade' of the Gumy formula?

Well, the earpiece shape is no longer circular - it's sort of bean-shaped. Presumably to fit the ears better - I have no problem with this, the earphones are indeed a comfy and snug fit.

The problem however, is sound quality - far more canned and tinny than the F140s. Everything sounds rough and compressed compared to the earlier model, which sported far better mid and bass response. I might be paranoid, but I also suspect there's more sound leakage from these headphones - ie. everyone else on the bus can hear the thumping beats of which ever Britney song I'm listening to more than I can.

It could be that I was unlucky and caught a faulty pair, but I've bought several F140s in the past and never had this problem once.

My advice? Get some JVC Gumy F140s instead. They're around the same price if not cheaper, have superior bass performance and less sound leakage.
on 8 October 2011
After 5 years, I had gone through at least 4 pairs of IPod Headphones (which, as well as being expensive, have inadequate sound quality) and some Skullcandy ones (which broke to pieces within about 4 months). So, feeling rather down on my luck and definitely down on cash, I bought a pair of these! I wasn't expecting much, but really, these are the best Headphones I've ever owned! They're durable and have excellent sound quality! You can get them in a range of different colours but I loved these Violet coloured ones, and am definitely going to buy another pair in the same colour just in case. I've had these now for just over a year, and they're still like new. Brilliant quality for the money, well worth it!
0Comment|137 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 December 2014
Although I am very happy with the earphones I would just like to point out that the product image isn't the same as the product model. I bought these hoping they would be the old JVC gumy earphones but was wrong. Other than that, these are superb earphones for the price!
review image review image
on 4 March 2010
A perfect fit, and a great sound to boot. Comfortable in the ear, although the wire may be a little too long.
I've had loads of pairs of headphones over the last 35 odd years, my first were two tin cans connected by string. I thought they were good myself! Well it seems headphones have moved on fortunately.

These being gummy can fit any sized ear so no more fiddling about with tiny silicone covers for different sized ears, good idea! The cable length is not too long either in my opinion. They fit snugly into the ear and once music/radio/DS/ipod or whatever is being pumped through them they do sound great. The sound is brilliant, crisp and very clear, you can pick up on individual sounds/layers in music that you probably couldn't without them. They are definitely geared for heavy bass but that does not take from anything else. If you've never used gummy headphones before these will blow you away for sure. One good aspect of this type of headphone is that you do not need to have the volume too loud at all as the sound is being directed deep into your ears, no damaged ear drums! I purchased two pairs of these, one for me for my phone which has a 3.5mm socket which I have tons of music stored on and one pair for my son who uses his on his ipod nano, DS, pc games and guitar amp so we don't have to listen to a 14 year old banging Slipknot and Slayer riffs out! I know what your thinking. . . .14 year old and Slipknot. . .but you need to meet him! Anyway. . . .you will love these headphones, they're brilliant!

I love this blue colour too!

Recommended.
on 29 March 2014
Bought these to replace the standard Apple earphones for my iPod (2nd generation). Ordered "Lychee White" but received "Coconut White". Best described as a dirty looking white - or grey !

The earphones are quite big but they seemed quite snug in the ears because most of the earphones' surface (including the edges) has a rubbery texture to it. I imagine they might be too big for children and keep falling out.

The lead is long enougn (40 inches) but that's about the only good thing about them. They are TOO QUIET. I don't like music volume too high but I had to turn my iPod volume up to about 90% compared to the normal 30-40% for my Apple earphones. I rate the Apple earphones as average (not much bass) but these are much worse. Very flat and dull sound.

I know they're cheap but I didn't buy them expecting superb sound quality and I would say they're not worth the asking price on Amazon never mind the normal retail price. I've heard better sound from earphones that come with pocket radios costing about a tenner.

I would return them but I had to destroy the packaging (sealed plastic shell) to get them out.
on 9 July 2012
I am not an expert when it comes to sound quality but I have to say that this JVC earphones do sound weird, the sound is kind of metallic as if they were made of cheap can material. Also, I'd like to point out that after just one month of using them they have become quite unreliable as sometimes depending on how I put the cord the sound just goes very low. Really disappointed to have spent money on these, not worth even the cheap price in my opinion.
on 10 October 2011
when i looked at the reviews for the earphones i had doubts because someone mentioned them being faulty, but my friend had a purple pair and they worked just fine. they arrived yesterday and im really happy with the sound quality and comfort of the earphones, for anyone reading this get them, well worth the money.
on 27 January 2016
JVC do a range of different 'Gumy' headphones now, but this review is specifically for the JVC HA F140PN ones. I've owned a couple of these and thought I’d review them for anyone considering a new pair of reasonably priced headphones anytime soon. Despite their price tag and plastic appearance, they’ve served me well and I’m pleased with them, especially given the Amazon price.

JVC are a popular brand with a wide range of technology products, so they have expertise and experience under their belt. There are lots of headphones on the market so it can be hard to choose what style you want, let alone which brand will give the best results for their price tag. I wanted something portable and lightweight so I opted for in-ear headphones, and I quite like things that are a little quirky, so the bright colours these are offered in caught my eye.

These Gumy classic in-ears come in various colours but the JVC range have also released similar versions of these Gumy headphones, such as Gumy Air. I originally bought classic pink ones, despite hating pink, because I was on away from home and forgot my headphones. Knowing I needed to listen to music to keep me sane, I came across these in pink priced cheaper than other colours in the store I was in. This pair, and my latest violet ones, are vibrant and stand out from the crowd. They certainly make a change to my usual black option of most accessories.

These are wired headphones in an ear-bud style, which fit snug in your ears, and weigh only 5g. This makes them perfect for carrying with you and putting in your bag/pocket when you’re finished. The body is made from soft rubber, and the ear piece has soft plastic, so they’re comfy to wear and easy to maintain the wire when you wear them (ie if you put them under your jumper like I do so you get the earpieces out of the top). The length is suitable for me and the plastic separator gives you enough room to play with and adjust to fit you the way you want.

The sound quality from these, whilst not crystal clear or able to deliver a strong base, are still reasonable from a small pair of in-ears. I actually find these to be more than adequate and not tinny, unlike other similar styles I’ve tried before. They’ve also been, mostly, reliable; I had my first pair for about 8-12 months and they served me well, no faults. They still work now, however I’ve noticed that the ear-bud itself has freed itself from the plastic casing. I can push it back it, but it’s starting to affect their performance. None the less, that didn’t put me off these and I have owned a couple of these (I currently have two purple pairs, one work work and one for home).

To compare them to other headphones, these seem to be a good option in the lower budget range. I've owned Sony in-ears before and wasn't too impressed by them in terms of their fit (they kept falling out), their comfort (they felt a bit hard) or their looks. The Gumy range seems to put together decent technology and appearances, and whilst they may not last forever, they'd still get a far better rating from me than Skull Candy, which seem to fall apart within the month.

Overall, JVC’s Gumy headphones offer a range of funky in-ears at a good price for those who want good sound and portability. Don’t expect to be blown away, but these for me offer a good balance between style, sound and affordability.
on 5 June 2013
I was looking for a backup pair of headphones, as I'm always forgetting to put my headphones back into my bag. I chose the Gumyies primarily because they're really cheap. Overall they're quite a nice design and they're really comfortable to wear, you can almost forget you're wearing them. The cable is about the right length, however it's pretty basic in design; it's two plastic sheathed bonded cables the entire way up and the adjustable slider is just a loop of plastic which just slides back down. In addition the cable is that type of plastic which looks like it picks up grime like a magnet, so I doubt the cable will stay white for very long. On the plus side however, the cable has very little undesirable 'cable noise' when it moves. In terms of sound, I guess the Gumies are about what I'd expect for the price. In the vocal and treble range they have good fidelity, you'll be able to hear every word really clearly, particularly as the lower frequencies are so weak! For listening to music this means they have quite a hollow sound which really feels as if it's missing something, also oddly I have to turn them up really high compared to other headphones just to be at the same volume. I compared them to my 3 years old basic iPod headphones, and for all the slating that the ipod headphones get, I would consider the Gumies to be quite significantly worse in sound quality. Despite my disappointment overall in the sound quality, for something so cheap I guess I wasn't really expecting much. So as a backup pair they're ok, and it won't be a disaster if they're lost. However for primary headphones for listening to music, I'd recommend spending a bit more on headphones. Twice the cost will probably give you twice the audio quality at this price.