Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 10 June 2013
I was reading another book at the time when I saw this book on an Amazon recommendations email. I hadn't heard of the author before but I like crime books so as it was only 77p I thought I would give it a go. As a different genre to my other book the idea was I'd read both of these as one a traditional book and this one on my kindle. I had a bit of a dip into this book and just couldn't put it down. It's got murder in it and at times is quite funny. I know it shouldn't be but it was just some of the quirky obsessive ways the murderer has you couldn't help but chuckle and had to find out what happens next. Some reviewers haven't got the point saying that it's not funny- it is- just not to be taken too seriously. Enjoyed it and would read the follow up when it is released.
on 29 January 2013
This book was recommended to me by someone who knew the author, and pronounced it very funny - I like humour in books and decided to give it a go. She was right - it certainly is funny and actually quite a compelling story.

It features a hairdresser, struggling to keep his failing salon afloat who becomes depressed and mentally unstable after the sudden death of his mother, to the extent that he kills one of his clients when she upsets him. Several other murders follow, most of them unintentional, driven by circumstances. His life spirals drastically out of control as he endeavours to stay one step ahead of several people who suspect him, but justice finally catches up with him, although even then his ingenuity saves him eventually.

It's a black comedy, which I would have enjoyed much more if it had only been subject to some serious proof reading - I have never read a book with more errors than this one. I read the Kindle version, which may possibly explain it, but was nevertheless extremely irritating. I know that Andrew Lucas has other works in the pipeline and would suggest that he engages the services of a good proof reader - I'd do it for him myself (at a price).
I've just spent a week getting very cross with all the people who kept interrupting me when I was lost in this book. The house is a mess, but who cares? From the first sentence, I was drawn into the life of the main character. I was intrigued, I laughed, I was hooked on the plot and absolutely loved the little sub-stories within the book. Andrew Lucas is a great observer of body language, and the reader can instantly "see" the characters from his insightful and often amusing descriptions, whilst never quite knowing the answer to a couple of questions until the very end of the book. An absolute joy, and I hope very much that there will be more from this talented author.
on 25 October 2011
This book is long-winded and tedious. It took me about 50 times as long to finish as any other book in recent memory and only because I assumed, wrongly, that it must get better to have received such high ratings from others. I normally find Amazon ratings to be spot on but in this case either I completely missed the point or others' ratings were bumped up by the fact that it is "award-winning" and interestingly titled!
on 11 January 2012
I echo all of the previous one star reviewers. In the past, I have always managed to finish even the dullest of books but this one beat me. The numerous grammatical errors, spelling mistakes and missing words which were mildly annoying to start with, made my blood boil by the time I was half way through. On top of that, the constant name dropping of 'Starbucks' and 'Marks and Sparks' does make me wonder if there is a sponsorship deal involved. The plot is tedious and humourless, the characters are all very dislikable and corrupt. I have no good things to say about this book and can't urge you enough to save your money and time by choosing something/anything else.
on 11 September 2011
Cleverly written easy to get into and had the effect of making me very unsociable. Even found myself laughing out loud at the antics of the hapless hairdresser and his ill-fated clients. Excellent read
on 13 February 2013
This might have been a mildly entertaining read had it been edited at all. The Kindle version is absolutely littered with typos and grammatical errors, all of which become so annoying that it's hard to focus on the story. Shame.
on 4 May 2014
Clever plot,although far too long-winded. Too many spelling mistakes, missing words and grammatical errors which ruined the read for me. At least the storyline held my interest sufficiently to finish the book.
on 30 March 2014
Although this is a story with an interesting concept for a serial killer, I really struggled to get engaged with either the character or the story and ultimately gave up at 50%. I think it just wasn't for me.
on 17 November 2015
Took much longer to read than it should have.
Long drawn out writing about not very nice characters.
I was recommended this book, as "very funny"??? I must have missed the humour???