1,535 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost unputdownable
Published on 4 April 2011 by Mrs. V. Bradley

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read with plenty of twists.
Published on 7 May 2011 by Mark Booth

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost unputdownable, 4 April 2011
Mrs. V. Bradley "bookaholic" (Kidderminster, Worcs., England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had never heard of Brian McGilloway until I received this book. 'Little Girl Lost' is a standalone police procedural set in Northern Ireland, and to be honest I have usually shied away from reading books with an Irish theme. In fact the only ones I have read previously have been those of Maeve Binchy. I found the storyline captivating, engaging, fast moving and once I started reading I found it difficult to put the book down. For me all the characters were believable. Why was the little girl found wandering in a wood only clad in her nightclothes and with her hands stained with blood? Why is she too traumatised to speak? Where has she come from? What secrets does little girl lost hold? When the police find little girl lost, they are in fact hunting for another missing girl. As the story unfolds other characters emerge including a old man with dementia who may or may not have a guilty secret, and a woman fallen on hard times through alcohol abuse. There are a few unpleasant surprises and a sting in the tail. To say more would spoil the story, but suffice to say that having read this offering I can't wait to read Brian McGilloway's Inspector Devlin stories. All in all a great read and one I would recommend to anyone who likes a good crime story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Police procedural novel with a background of N. Ireland "Troubles", 8 April 2011
G. E. Harrison (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Brian McGilloway is a new name to me but I found this police procedural novel to be very readable and enjoyable (although at times it is quite distressing) and I'll certainly look out for more books by this author. DS Lucy Black is a very believable and sympathetic main character and one can't help wondering if this will be the first of a series featuring her. 'Little lost girl' has a number of intriguing, interlocking plots involving abduction and shady business deals, all with a background of the "Troubles" - that lovely whimsical Irish word to describe the bloody civil war in Northern Ireland. There was also the seemingly gratutious inclusion of a thread concerning neglected children, which was really heartrending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 18 April 2011
BookBliss (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'd never heard of Brian McGilloway before picking up this book, even though this is his 5th novel, doing a little bit of investigation it would appear that a number of the previous novels have been nominated for awards, always a good chance that this was going to be worth reading then!

This book had me hooked right from the start, it has short chapters wich I have found help to keep the pack moving along quickly but even without these the story had drawn me in and made me want to keep reading.

I found the timing of my reading this book quite ironic. It highlights the treatment of catholic police offices during the troubles but the shows how much safer it is for them in Northern Ireland now - I was reading this as the news was showing a car bomb that killed a catholic police officer.

I thought this book was a brilliant read, I couldn't wait to find out what happened next and how all the various threads actually hung together, I also like the fact that every time you thought they'd made a breakthrough it seemed to lead to a dead end and there was more investigation needed. There was a twist, which I could see being built up to for some time but there were other ones which I didn't see coming at all.

Being a crime thriller you expect there to be violence and deaths, in books like this they don't usually bother me but I have to admit that I found one so shocking it had me in tears.

I feel I've gushed quite a lot in this review but I honestly thought the book was that good! I'll definitely be buying the other books that McGilloway has released

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read with plenty of twists., 7 May 2011
Mark Booth (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an intelligently written book, with short chapters making it easy to pick up when you have a few minutes spare. The story is quite enjoyable and has enough twists and turns, if only minor, to keep you wondering where it's going. Unexpectedly it also gave me an insight into the troubles of Northern Ireland from a perspective I had not come across before. I also liked the fact that everything was tied up nicely. So, although not ground breaking, I would happily recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well paced crime novel, 16 April 2011
Sarah Lambert "Book addict" (Bournemouth) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I enjoyed reading this book and would like to read other books by Brian McGilloway. The plot moved along well with some interesting twists and turns and the irish setting brought a further depth to the story. The book starts with a little girl found in the woods and once you have started reading you want to find out what has happened to her. The storyline is quite grim in places but not graphic and there are some interesting and believable characters. The main character of DS Lucy Black is a policewoman trying to do her best at her job whilst also dealing with a difficult family situation, I felt the balance between details of her life and the plot worked well together and the integration added an extra dimension to the story. I felt that her father was a well written character and accurately reflected the sad decline of someone with alzheimers and the difficulties of relationships with them. The mother seemed a less believable character but, as more details about the family's background was revealed, I began to find her relationship with Lucy more convincing. This is a good book, it doesn't move along quite as quickly as a James Patterson but there is more background detail to the plot and I think this adds extra to the story. I think that this could easily evolve into a series of books and it would be good to see how the characters developed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Girl Lost - exceptional crime thriller, 28 Mar 2011
JK "Julie K." (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Little Girl Lost
Cracking crime novel and if you're into the Ian Rankin genre you won't be at all disappointed with Little Girl Lost. A page turner that I really couldn't put down until I'd finished reading it. Police, hospital and forensic procedures are all well researched and written about with care and detail. McGilloway has created villains who are genuinely scary and seem almost too real, you can imagine yourself meeting up with these guys and it wouldn't end well for you. The main plot centres around "the troubles" in Ireland and because that's McGilloway's homeland he writes with both realism and feeling. I enjoyed the fast pace of the novel and found myself bonding with the central character Lucy Black, who is both a remarkable policewoman and a tough, modern woman dealing with her own demons as well as an ongoing kidnapping investigation. There are adult, sensitive themes throughout the novel which involve children and I wouldn't usually read fiction concerning those issues but; McGilloway writes with an equal sense of horror and sensitivity that balances out the "nastiness". This is not a book for the faint hearted, there's a lot of violence, adult themes and vile characters but there's also tenderness and heartbreak which probably hit you harder. Certainly a book worth reading if you like hard hitting, uncompromising, dark crime stories. I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Girl Lost, 5 April 2011
Mrs. C. A. Troops (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Read it in two days, just couldn't put it down. Characters are well drawn, entirely believable and there is an excellent twist to the plot right at the end. There are some good descriptions of the troubles in Northern Ireland interwoven in to the story and I suspect that DC Lucy Black is set to become well known in modern crime fiction.
To anyone wanting a good read now that Rebus has been pensioned off I cannot recommend Brian McGilloway highly enough, I am going out to track down his previous four novels and can't wait for the next one in this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Gripping Thriller, 2 Jun 2011
A. Rose (Devon & Menorca) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the first book of Brian McGilloway I've read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. From the first page I was hooked into a rapid moving story of finding a young girl dressed in pyjamas and wearing no shoes wandering in a frightened state in the woods. DS Lucy Black is the first officer on the scene and from that moment on the plot thickens as to who she is, why she's covered in microscopic splats of blood and why she won't speak. Lucy has a complicated life trying to look after a father with Alzheimer's, hold down a demanding job in CID, coping with a mother who is her ultimate boss and trying to find out who the mysterious woman Janet is who her father keeps talking about. There is also a bit of scene setting with the Troubles in Ireland but does not dominate the story, just adds to the plot and reasons for some of the violence.

The characters McGillloway has created are really strong and totally believable. On the face of it the plot is quite complex but this is mainly because of the time-span of earlier crimes which fit in later with the present day crimes, but it is actually quite a simple plot with few people involved in four or five interwoven crimes spanning 20 years or so, and this works really well - keeping the story simple but strong. All is quickly tied up at the end, not rushed just fast paced drama, and I would thoroughly recommend this book to anyone who likes a fast paced crime thriller.

3.0 out of 5 stars Twist and turns but all tied together at the end, 9 May 2013
This review is from: Little Girl Lost (Kindle Edition)
Good background 're the troubles in Ireland without it being too bogged down in it. Also shows the human side of a police
officer dealing with difficult circumstances

5.0 out of 5 stars Multi layered and cleverly done, 23 Mar 2013
Liz Wilkins "Lizzy11268" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Little Girl Lost (Kindle Edition)
At the start of "Little Girl Lost" a young child is found, wandering the snowy woods in her nightclothes, with no identification and an unwillingness to talk. DS Lucy Black is called out to the scene and so begins her story. Having returned home to care for her Father who is suffering from dementia, Lucy finds herself caught up in the case of the mysterious child, the kidnapping of a teenager, and a delve into the past of her own family. A multi layered tale, the clues are subtly included in the narrative, the author finds no need to resort to unbelievable coincidences to link one thing to another and therein lies the beauty of the story. There are a couple of things that I especially liked about this book - Firstly, the interaction between Lucy and her father, and the scene setting of what it can be like to deal with a relative who suffers from this problem - as a person who knows it first hand I can honestly say that this narrative is both extremely realistic, both with reference to the actions of Dad and the emotional responses it provokes in Lucy, and with the idea it gives of the extreme strain this can place on a relationship with a loved one. The other thing I loved was the layering of the story - a plot within a plot within a plot if you like, that kept me turning the pages long into the night. The background in reference to the "troubles" is well written and done in such a way so that you do not need to have any depth of knowledge of the history in order to follow the influences it has on the characters lives today. There is a twist in the tale and a heart wrenching moment, both of which make this just about perfect. I am hoping that we see this character again - and in the meantime I will be hunting down the "Inspector Devlin" books to have a look at. Excellent. Read this.

Little Girl Lost