4.0 out of 5 stars riversong
Author Tess Thompson assembles a colorful cast of endearing small-town characters and takes you on a journey that will make you believe in the possibilities of life – even in the face of overwhelming adversity and unimaginable grief.

Published 10 months ago by J. Burns

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good contemporary romance
3.5 Stars in my Sky!

I received a copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Published 23 months ago by Zili Robins

4.0 out of 5 stars riversong, 13 July 2014
J. Burns (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Riversong (The River Valley Collection Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

Lee Tucker is the kind of woman you find yourself rooting for long after the last page is read. When her husband commits suicide, he leaves her pregnant and one million dollars in debt to a loan shark. Out of options, she escapes to her deceased mother’s dilapidated house located in a small Oregon town that, like her, is financially ruined, heartbroken and in desperate need of a fresh start. Lee’s resilience leads to a plan for a destination restaurant named Riversong, to new chances for passion and love, and to danger from her dead husband’s debt as her business blooms.

A surprising mix of romance, humor, friendship, intrigue and gourmet food, Riversong entertains while reminding you of life’s greatest gifts.

Links to order Riversong: Amazon / Barnes & Noble / The Book Depository / Kobo

Review:

Riversong by Tess Thompson is the first book in her The River Valley Collection series.  I was given a chance to read this book, before I reviewed her new release RIVERBEND

Lee had been kicked in the teeth by life, so many times,  if that had been me, I would have given up.

Her mother was a drunk, her father was not on the scene. Lea was a total loner. Her only friend  was the nearby neighbour, Mrs White. We get a look at Lee’s life before she gets her college life. And it is bleak.

Skipping ahead to the future ……. It’s not much better !!  Her husband kills himself after their latest game doesn’t go to plan, leaving Lee with a million dollar debt, and an unplanned pregnancy!  Being chased by a loan shark, Lee is reduced to running back home, and to all the sad memories stored there.

We meet a wide variety of characters in this book, and I am sure I have met a few of these people along the way.

Mrs White is still there, and still a strong woman. Her mother has now died.  Tommy is the singer in the bar that Lee first works in. He is an all round nice guy. He is there for everyone, and he has had his own set of heartbreaks.  The way they dance around their for each other (feelings (the slow way they moved together, he moved forward, she moved back, very much like a dance), especially Lee, was so sweet.

He was so patient with her, his movement reminded me of a cowboy and a spooked horse, he would move towards her, and she would shy away. But he never pushed too quick. She felt guilty of her feelings for Tommy, her husband hasn’t been dead long.

Lee has a hard time believing that she deserves to be happy, she also has a strong grip on her little world, she has to control EVERYTHING, or bad things could happen. When she was approached to start a restaurant, Lee is overwhelmed and terrified.

But with help from the people she meets along the way, Lee creates Riversong. She hasn’t stopped looking over her shoulder, she still expects the loan shark to find her, I think that is one of the reasons she won’t let Tommy and others close. She has to protect herself and others.

I loved how Tess wrote Lee’s story, the love and affection that Lee had for Tommy grew with time, the surprise of a relative, I so didn’t see that coming. Lee took people under her wing, without her even realising it. She faced her crisis one day at a time, she was only running away to the old home, to renovate and sell, not to run away, she had a debt to pay, and she was going to do it. Each character was well thought out, and everyone was a joy to discover. I totally loved this book, it was such a joy to meet these characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Romance, Easy Read, 7 Sept. 2013
Let me qualify my review by saying that it is a 4 1/2 star rating. This as I didn't love it but I didn't just like it!

Why did I not love it, i'm not really sure to be honest but there was something just holding me back from going 'oh, wow'. It may be the, on occasions, preachy attitude about god. Now don't get me wrong, I have my own religious beliefs but find them out of place in books, I don't know why, but would like to say that this is purely my own view point on this. I would also like to say that this isn't like some of the other books that I've read in the genre where it is sickly sweet romance with no sexual contact at all due to Gods presence, it is purely mentioned during certain situations that arise between the characters and the situations that they find themselves in.

Anyway back to the plot of the book! This is all from Lee's point of view and how she is coping with the aftermath of her husbands death and the subsequent revelations that come about concerning a million dollar loan he took out from a loan shark. After only being able to pay half and getting no leeway on a time frame to pay the remainder Lee runs back to the one place she thought she would never go to again. The place she was born.

She returns with the intention of selling the property that was left to her upon her mothers death only to encounter friendships, a new job and a second chance at love. However Lee struggles with the knowledge that all this could come crashing down around her one day should the man searching for her ever finds her. With a surprise new life growing inside her she worries about her babies safety and of the man who she has come to love, the man who has made her glow again. Will she tell him the truth about why she's running or will she let her secrets tear them apart? Well you'll just have to buy the book to find out!

Please note I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good contemporary romance, 24 Jun. 2013
3.5 Stars in my Sky!

I received a copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I wasn't sure what to expect before I started reading Riversong - but after a few pages I was instantly drawn to Lee and her suffering. She suffers in silence as a child/teenager and never asks for help. Lee has fallen into the role of outsider. When the story picks up years later Lee finds herself in a whole heap of trouble.

Riversong is about perceptions and relationships. Tess Thompson very cleverly analyses relationships and the traps people fall into. Even before her husband's suicide Lee has been surviving instead of living. She runs away from brutal debt collectors and the web of lies her dead husband Dan created; ending up as a broke and pregnant widower, hiding in her home town.

Desperate for money, Lee takes over a struggling bar and transforms it into a restaurant called Riversong. In the town she fled from as a teenager, Lee builds a new life with friends, family and Tommy (a hot new man with the patience of a saint). Lee finds it hard to trust anybody and keeps everybody at arms length. A great deal of the story is focused on Lee opening up and accepting happiness in places where she least expected it.

Riversong is a sentimental, modern romance, which made me think how nice it must be living in a small town (apart from when wannabe gangster's find you). I loved Lee's best friend Linus, and Annie was a great secondary character too.

Watch out for my review of book #2 Riverbend.

My fav non-spoilery quotes:

*"I don't know if I can do this." Lee pulled the dry t-shirt over her head. "Sure you can." Cindi tied the apron on Lee and gave her a squeeze. "It's just beer and perverts."
*But she knew there was no such thing as Prince Charming, especially for a pregnant Cinderella.
*"Love isn't like your lists. When you love someone there's nothing you won't do for them, and sometimes that means it's a colossal mess."

Also reviewed on my Blog Zili in the Sky! http://ziliinthesky.blogspot.co.uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Anice clean touch of romance thriller., 20 Aug. 2013
Nice steady read , gives you a good feeling when people pull together to help someone in trouble, you could read a couple of chapters go and do something and come back and pick up the story straight away. I read it in a few hours and will buy the other book that focuses on the cooks life. No swearing, gory violence and a touch of romance mixed with friends and a community spirit, overall a lovely holiday book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Riversong, 29 Aug. 2013
Easy to read and enjoyable book, good story, ideal for taking on holiday
Lee's husband commits suicide and leaves her in debt.
Lee moves to her home county which has bad memories (her mother was an alcoholic)
This really is a book about love, life, friendship and community.
Not to much in the way of sex scenes.
A really good book, definitely recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful read., 24 Sept. 2013
It's not often that a book grips me enough that I can't put it down but this one did. Everything about it is brilliant, so much so that I read it in 7 hours. Highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy reading, 11 Aug. 2013
A. Hill (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
Nice beach reading. The sort of book that passes the time even though you can't remember too much of the story later.

5.0 out of 5 stars cannot put down, 20 July 2013
I got this book cause of the reviews and that is was free and I am really glad I did. I must admit I have only got half way thru but I cannot wait to read the next bit and did not want to put my kindle down but had to (it was getting late in the morning)

but I would recommend to download this book

I will get the next one in the series too

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 13 July 2013
Really enjoyed this book, easy reading, liked the characters well worth a read. The lead character husband commits suicide leaving her in debt to a loan shark. She escapes back to her home town till she can raise enough money to pay them back, but ends up finding love and a life in the town.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely loved this, 1 July 2013
Brought this on a whim as I am due to go on holiday and wanted to stock up. The title and cover didn't draw me in but the overview did.

This book didn't make it on holiday with me....I finished in 3 days. Now going to buy the second installment.

Highly recommend.