Corel PDF Fusion (PC)
Platform: PCChange
Price:£39.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Platform: PCVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Corel's claim that it is an alternative to the rather more expensive Adobe product is somewhat far-fetched. It is plainly incapable to perform at a similar level in one major area at least - its inability to perform major edits on an existing PDF file. Subject to protection which may be added to the file by its creator, Adobe's product will allow such editing but this will not. It will allow the addition or deletion of pages, but not rearrangement of the pages.

It can add the 'Print to PDF' option to those programs that do not possess that capability, and depends upon those programs to perform whatever formatting is required within the file. PDF Fusion will not do that.

It is considerably less expensive than its competitor, but adds file viewers for several common formats including Word, Excel and several common graphic formats. It has its uses but do not be mislead; it cannot do everything! It is more useful than Adobe Reader, which is free to all, but is far from being what is claimed.
on 20 June 2011
Platform: PCVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have tested this on a PC with a Pentium dual core 1.6GHz processor which exceeds the minimum requirements for the software. I am also using Windows Vista Home Premium as the operating system.
I would have liked at least a printed quick start guide as the only documentation is contained on the CD in pdf format.
The install is easy however PDF Fusion changes the programme associations so that pdf files will always open with PDF Fusion and although it is a reasonable pdf reader its interface is cluttered if using just as a reader and I had to change the associations back so that I could open pdf files on clicking them with Foxit my preferred reader. The other point worth noting is that if you have Microsoft Office installed it will try to put add ons in Word etc which adds another tool bar, fine if you want it but if you don't it comes up with a screen asking if you want to install the add on every time you open Word etc. This annoyed me so much that I have removed PDF fusion from my PC.
The one thing that PDF Fusion is excellent at is rearranging and combining pdf documents so that you can insert parts of one document into another one extract pages etc with just a drag and drop.
Conversion to .doc from pdf was flaky sometimes it worked with no errors sometimes it was very poor and overlapped lines etc sometimes it just crashed, note it converts to .doc documents not .docx so that if you have Office 2007 or later the files will open in compatibility mode. Conversion from the supported files to pdf was OK except from .xls where although it converted the format was not retained and a simple spread sheet was scattered over a number of pages once converted.
I also have Nuance PDF Converter Professional 7 which makes a much better job of conversion, although this also uses add ons, you can tell it not to prompt again.
Often pdf documents that were not password protected were shown as protected and could not be opened. The editing of pdf documents was OK but there was no way of dealing with anything except text any included graphics could not be removed/moved/edited.
Although it will open a good range of documents, over 100, before you buy this make sure that it is going to open the documents you use, for example I use Quarkexpress and .svg files neither of which PDF Fusion opens. Unfortunately trying to open some non supported files resulted in the programme hanging rather than giving a non supported format warning, other non supported formats gave this warning, and I had to use the task manager to shut PDF Fusion down.
Platform: PCVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Used on a 3 year old Core Duo with W7 and 4gb RAM, installation was easy which is just as well as there are no printed user notes, just the PDF.

It sets itself as the default PDF application which may cause irritation later, depending on whether you find it fulfills all your needs. I eventually went back into W7 settings to remove it as my default reader. Does irritate a little when it keeps on asking if it can be set as default application.

Very good for the dragging and dropping of files/merging to form a single PDF but going from PDF to doc was rather hit and miss in terms of success and execution. I could not say that you could rely on it to convert to documents but,as an emergency measure, it is better than nothing.

I had some minor problems with Office 2007 docs (compatabilty mode kicks in) but in overall terms, given the purchase price, it represents reasonable value for money. Do however check that the applications supported meet your needs as the more expensive but better featured Adobe or even Nuance products might meet your requirements better.

Good but could be better.
Platform: PCVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got this as I am an adult education tutor who loves to create worksheets for her students. Currently I create documents in either Open Office or Word and use Open Office's PDF creation capability to convert the documents I create. I have experience of using Publisher and was looking forward to something that would enable me to have the gloss of Publisher documents with the file-sharing ease of PDF files.
One of the tasks I frequently do is to take extracts from longer PDF documents that I have created and pop them into emails to my students.
When I installed PDF Fusion it automatically became the default software for all existing PDF files and I couldn't perform this task.
No worries, I thought, it must be very straightforward ... it wasn't. It really wasn't.
I found the manual lurking unannounced in my program files - it was great at telling me how to create from scratch, but couldn't tell me what I needed to know.
So, regretfully I had to un-install the software. There wasn't an automatic un-install feature; it had to be done through Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs.
The uninstall was very straightforward - unlike the install which tied me into a loop of rebooting three times before it finally caught up with itself and got going.
I realise that not everyone will have the same circumstances as me. If you are adept at picking up the instructions for new formats of applications and aren't reliant on existing PDF's for anything you may wish to give this a go.
Be warned, the interface is like nothing you have seen before!
Platform: PCVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have tested this with prior use of PDF writing products from Nuance and Adobe.

Installation was simple (pretty much "next" "next" "finish") though it's worth noting that the license key is case sensitive (which I find is rare).

The machine I installed it to has Windows XP Professional (32 bit) with a quad core processor and 4GB of RAM, as well as different applications within Office 2003 and Office 2007. If I'd have had performance issues after installing this, I would have been astonished.

PDF Fusion has the basic tools you'd expect of a PDF editor; batch compilations (which are useful for creating document bibles), a PDF printer for you to create PDFs from any of your basic applications, and watermarking / redaction / bookmarking tools.

I found the application slightly end-user unfriendly as none of the tools are on toolbars (and I couldn't find anywhere to make this happen) so you have to navigate through the menus, which is a little time-consuming for large documents and is useless in a high-utilisation environment. But this is marketed at domestic use (I'm guessing) so I won't allow that to retract from the overall product.

When you open the application, there is a large splash screen with obvious menus for you to either open an existing file, or go to the "Page View" to read, bookmark and edit a PDF, or the assembly view, which is the feature which allows you to compile different file formats together to create a PDF document.

For users new to PDF editors, there is a "Finish Document Wizard" which allows you to prepare your files step-by-step, with prompts that remind you to enter summary information for document, and set permissions and security, so there is no way you can forget these (often critical) steps.

The lack of toolbars aside, the product is very intuitive to use, and has decent depth of features for the price. I would recommend this for home use for any professional or student.
VINE VOICEon 12 September 2011
Platform: PCVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I picked this product because I thought that it would be handy for my work as I have to prepare typed handouts for clients and I think that sending them out as a pdf looks much more professional than a word document.

I installed the program and prepared to convert all of my handouts into pdf files. I fell at the first hurdle. The transfer from word to pdf skewed the formatting - borders weren't quite in the same place so it threw the text out of line. It just wasn't an exact copy of my word document, which I had carefully formatted, and so it just looked scruffy. I gave up at that point.

I can see how the option to mix and match pages of other pdf documents and save them as one file might be useful for other people, but for me PDF Fusion was more trouble than it was worth because it couldn't manage the one simple task which I picked it for.
Platform: PCVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Have you ever wished you could create your own PDFs? How about edit a PDF you already have? Add notes, highlights and custom index points? Drag & drop pages from various assorted PDFs, Office documents and images and put them together in seconds to make your own custom PDF? How about convert a PDF to an editable Word document?

Well, if you want to do all this, you could think of paying a lot of money for Adobe Acrobat Pro (which admittedly does quite a bit more besides) or you could buy PDF Fusion and get the functionality you do want without paying up to 10x the price for a bunch of stuff you don't need.

So far as re-paginating, editing, highlighting, exporting, indexing and converting PDFs to Word, the only requirement is that the source PDF be 'printable'. I downloaded a user guide for my camera from the manufacturer's website, convert it to Word and was able to directly edit the text in MS Word 2003. All the formatting was perfectly preserved, even the images. To be honest I was very pleasantly surprised.

It works very quickly, and without any error messages, even when working with documents hundreds of pages long.

The only criticism I can offer is that it doesn't let you read PDFs in 2-up page view format. However, since you can do that with the free Acrobat reader, there's no reason you'd need to.

All in all for the price, I absolutely cannot fault this product, and if the above meets your requirements, can thoroughly recommend it.
on 28 November 2011
Platform: PCVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've found this a useful program to have for creating simple PDF documents - it's quite straightforward to drag and drop documents / photos etc. into the program for saving as a pdf. However, I don't think I've really explored the program's potential as the interface is not that appealing and whenever I've looked into doing anything more complex than a simple drag, drop and save I find myself going around in circles. Also, some trouble with edits of existing pdf documents - I don't know if this is possible with this software. I'm a daily computer user, familiar with a number of different software programs and can usually work programs out by 'having a go' at what I want to do, with occasional reference to help menus for more complicated features. I have a tendency to be always in a rush with these things though and haven't sat and worked it through patiently. I also don't think it supports file conversion from all that many formats - word, office, images etc. but not much more than that. A reasonable program for the price, but I gather there are a probably better software solutions out there, so would recommend shopping around before rushing out to buy this one.
on 13 October 2014
I am so happy with this product that this is an additional copy for my wife's PC. I use it for stitching together individual PDF files and re-ordering within the file of several pages. Adding and deleting pages is a breeze as you can see the pages in the individual PDF's and drag & drop to your heart's content. I'm delighted... it's so simple and the price is good.
VINE VOICEon 27 November 2011
Platform: PCVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The general consensus with this software is that there are a mixture of opinions. Some people love it, some people hate it and some people think it's so-so. I'm definitely in the latter camp.

It's not all bad since it successfully rendered the documents which I threw at it but some of the formatting was out of place, particularly in several of the Microsoft Word documents. Let's just say that I couldn't really pass on several of the generated PDFs to customers without modifying the original Word documents (which is not really the point!).

Frustratingly, it set up my machine to be the default PDF application. I had to later alter this to use Adobe Reader.

I think that for the money, it's seriously worth paying an additional £5 and buying Nuance PDF Converter as it is generally considered to be a much more formidable solution for creating PDFs.

See one answered question