5.0 out of 5 stars Yet more Brilliant Swedish delights
I sometimes buy music on impulse. Sometimes it works, sometimes I have to admit that I've bought a stinker. In this case it certainly did work. I have an interest in music from the Nordic countries so decided to buy this Stenhammar set and I'm glad I did.

Published on 23 Jan 2012 by happysalvo

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value, apart from 2 things
Good value, apart from 2 things: 1. I didn't realise that 2 of the works were live recordings, which I don't like because of the coughing, and 2. the teeth that should hold CD 2 in were broken, which means that it is loose in the case.
Published 3 months ago by Graham Bell

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet more Brilliant Swedish delights, 23 Jan 2012
This review is from: Stenhammar: Symphonies & Piano Concerto (Audio CD)

The three discs include two symphonies, two piano concertos and some orchestral and choral pieces. All are given marvellous performances in excellent recordings (live in the case of the symphonies) by the Gothenburg and Malmo symphony orchestras. It isn't made clear in the notes which label these recordings are licenced from but I would hazard a guess that it would be BIS given the quality.

This is an ideal way of getting into this composer at a bargain price. It's gorgeous music - buy and enjoy.

I'm certainly going to get hold of a set of this composer's string quartets if I can find a complete one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Northern star, 6 Dec 2012
This review is from: Stenhammar: Symphonies & Piano Concerto (Audio CD)
Getting to know Stenhammar's music, largely through this CD set, is proving an extremely enjoyable experience. I bought this set following my recent discovery of the first class 2nd piano concerto, which contains one of the most beautiful slow movement/sections of any concerto for this instrument. Both the first and second concertos should be heard far more regularly. The recordings here, some live (though with minimal or bearly noticeable audience noise), are very good indeed. And who could resist the wistful, warming nostalgia of Midwinter. The modal second symphony is so full of life. There are hints of the English composers Moeran and Bantock at times with only occasional whiffs of Sibelius - perhaps more the good humoured (though certainly not cheap) vigour of Nielsen. Comparisons only have some worth, in short, Stenhammar has a strong voice of his own. I wonder why it has taken me so long to explore the music of this excellent composer!

4.0 out of 5 stars What's not to like?, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Stenhammar: Symphonies & Piano Concerto (Audio CD)
These are fine recordings of good music in committed performances. The pieces are very accessible and are unlikely to challenge anyone. On the other hand they are far from bland, and if they are not ground-breaking they are resourceful and satisfying. The first piano concerto is particularly successful to my ears. Stenhammar also wrote a lovely Serenade, and an Overture, "Excelsior!", which would have complemented the set very well. Anyone wanting those will find them in other issues, though I don't know of one that has them together without some duplication.

5.0 out of 5 stars Swedish composer, 26 Feb 2013
This review is from: Stenhammar: Symphonies & Piano Concerto (Audio CD)
Stenhammar Symphonies & Piano Concerto A+++ Recommend. Fast delivery. Never heard of the composer before. But i adore the music now. Listen to him on MP3 first on Amazon and been ordering his music ever since I would recommend to a friend. Thanks

4.0 out of 5 stars Originality isn't everything, 15 Mar 2013
J. Marshall - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stenhammar: Symphonies & Piano Concerto (Audio CD)
I bought this box mainly to replace an old LP of Stenhammar's First Symphony. It's a very enjoyable late-19th-century symphony: it may not be ground-breaking, but it is well-constructed and melodic, and echoes of Schumann or Bruckner do no harm. I would certainly have it on my list of good symphonies to listen to, alongside the "Serieuse" and "Singuliere" symphonies of Berwald. The composer, however, withdrew it for revision. Then the impact of a new Sibelius symphony altered his musical perspective, and the revisiopn was indefinitely postponed. The symphony was never heard again in his lifetime, which seems a great pity. His Second Symphony is, to my ears, ponderous and less appealing. You can hear Stenhammar trying to be Sibelian, and I don't think he brings it off. I haven't got to know the Piano Concerto yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value, apart from 2 things, 1 Sep 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars QUITE GOOD MUSIC AT FANTASTIC PRIZE., 6 Sep 2011
This review is from: Stenhammar: Symphonies & Piano Concerto (Audio CD)
QUITE GOOD MUSIC AT FANTASTIC PRIZE. DON'T DOUBT IT, A GOOD OPORTUNITY TO COMPLETE AN ORCHESTRAL DISCOGRAPHY WITH A QUITE INTERESTING COMPOSER. NOW WE HAVE HIS LATE STRING QUARTETS BOX AVAILABLE TOO.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Okay, 14 Dec 2012
John Roots - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stenhammar: Symphonies & Piano Concerto (Audio CD)
Kind of sums it up, recording quality "OK" - performances "OK" - good value for money as a cheap set of 3 discs but not scintillating enough for me or my Hi-Fi

Stenhammar: Symphonies & Piano Concerto
Stenhammar: Symphonies & Piano Concerto by Göteborgs Konserthuskör (Audio CD - 2011)