Eve

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing start to the new amazing series!
Wow! This book is just A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! i absolutely love it! It was so astonishing in fact, that i have read it in 1 day! i just couldn't put it down. I was really hooked from the start to the very end.

Published on 2 Mar 2012 by sandra

Eve's an orphan living in a world decimated by a plague and where America's governed by a king. Now 18, Eve's the Valedictorian of her graduating year in an all-girls school. She's been taught about art, history and how the only man she can trust is the King and dreams of moving to the City of Sand and becoming an artist.

On graduating night, fellow student...
Published on 22 April 2012 by I Read, Therefore I Blog

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull mix of THE HANDMAID'S TALE meets Peter Pan's Lost Boys for teens, 22 April 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

On graduating night, fellow student Arden tells her that the school's real purpose is to turn the girls into breeders who'll be kept perpetually pregnant and comatose to help rebuild the population. A disbelieving Eve watches Arden escape, but when she later discovers the truth for herself, she realises that she too has to flee and makes for the refuge of Califia, meeting up with Arden on the way.

When Caleb, a hunter who lives in a boy-only commune offers to help, the girls don't want to trust him but have little choice with the King offering a reward for Eve's capture. The more time Eve and Caleb spend together, the more Eve finds herself falling for him but circumstances build to make her choose between love and her life ...

Anna Carey's YA dystopia, the first in a trilogy, has an interesting premise but lacks a convincing world and relies on contrivance to keep the plot moving.

Eve's been raised to be passive but I found it frustrating that while she wants to learn the truth, she's consistently reluctant to believe what she's discovered. She fails to ask questions that she should ask, does incredibly stupid things and when given the opportunity, she doesn't try to learn the survival skills that she knows she needs, preferring to let others look after her.

Arden's more interesting - proactive and a survivor she's savvy about how the world operates - but her backstory revelation is telegraphed too early and I didn't buy her later friendship with Eve. Caleb's little more than a cipher - a strong, dreadlocked Lost Boy there for Eve to project her emotions onto, he never came alive on the page for me and the romance was rather dull.

Although the plot's pacey, the world building's cursory at best and dull at worst. The idea of orphan girls being kept for breeding is chilling but is more of a catalyst than a premise that gets developed. As a result, I found this an unsatisfying read and won't be reading on.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Very Weak Dystopian Romance, 23 Mar 2012
Miss Victoria Ramage (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eve (Eve Trilogy) (Paperback)
If I had to describe Eve in one word, I'd probably choose 'Watery'. The idea is very good, a great idea for a Dystopian but it never really delivers. It definitely has it's good points but I found quite a few things I didn't like about it.

Eve is a pretty weak character and I never really 'got' her. I didn't understand why she disobeyed the rules of her school, considering she's a model student, has lived there a very long time and knows of no reason why she shouldn't trust them. She's been brought up to believe that boys are basically savages, only after one thing but of course, almost as soon as she meets Caleb she's all, 'Ooh, my face is near his chest!' Honestly, this chick has a chest fetish.
The other characters are stronger, with a lot more substance which is why I continued reading. Arden should have been the main character, as she has a much stronger voice and she's a lot tougher emotionally. Plus, she has the mentality of a tough Dystopian chick. I actually got to know her character, that she likes playing pranks on people and she's easily annoyed.
Caleb was mostly cardboard hottie but with a few redeeming qualities, mostly his past. Won't say too much (Spoilers) but his past is definitely intriguing.

The story is almost as weak as our main character. The idea is that most of America has been wiped out after a Plague (no specific details about that) and now wherever Eve is living is ruled by an Evil King. Who uses the school girls to breed lots of babies that will become citizens (or slaves) of his Empire. Eve is caught up in it all and chooses to escape. Her and Anden end up living in a sort of underground bunker for a while with a gang of kids I could only describe as the Lost Boys. Guess who's Wendy. Eve and Arden plan to make their way to a safe haven and encounter friends and foe along the way.

The story didn't really leave me wanting to read more and I only chose to read it because it's a Dystopian! I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone but if you have it, well, it's a quick read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing start to the new amazing series!, 2 Mar 2012
This review is from: Eve (Eve Trilogy) (Paperback)

Everything was described really well, especially the charecters and the settings. There were many laughable and adventure moments/scenes that made me lauth out loud, and also many sad moments that made me want to cry.

The ending left me breathless and wanting more. it was so dramatic and sad! I'v really enjoy reading Eve and i honestly think that everyone who loves adventure and romance/love books will love this book as well.

I definitely recommand this book for everyone. And belive me, when you'll start reading Eve you won't be able to stop.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 2 April 2012
RM Brown "rachmarie1611" (Northampton, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A virus has wiped out most of the world's population and girls are brought up in schools where they are protected from the outside world. Growing up in one of these schools, Eve learns the awful truth about the school and their plans for her future on the bight before her graduation. She flees the school and starts a long journey to find somewhere safe to survive.

I really enjoyed Eve. I love dystopian stories and this one certainly did not disappoint. It's non-stop fast-paced action with well written, likeable characters. I read Eve in one sitting and can't wait for the next book in the Eve trilogy. A great book.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, but could have been better, 2 Mar 2012
PD (London, England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love a good dystopian novel. This book however was not as good as I would have hoped. There was so much potential in the book because the plot was thought-provoking and could have been thrilling.

Eve has grown up in a girls boarding school since her mother died and left her an orphan. Most of the population was wiped out by the epidemic that killed her mother. The night before she graduates Eve learns a terrible secret (no, there are no vampires!) about what the school intends to do with all her and her classmates. She runs away with the aim of getting to Califa, a place where they help people like her.

Along the way she meets Caleb, a kind and good looking hero who helps Eve. My biggest problem with the book was their relationship. I felt that it just developed out of nowhere and I really did not feel their chemistry until the last quarter of the book. Also, Eve as a character was very annoying at times, a bit too pathetic at times and then reckless and fearless at others.

The author has attempted to tackle some really interesting issues that could face a society recovering from a a huge population fall, but I felt that at times in the book adult themes were too watered down.

The end is a cliff hanger and I might read the next book if I read good reviews about it but I don't think that it would be on my Pre-order list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written story about a dystopian future, 25 Mar 2012
Schneehase (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The main character, Eve, is at a very select boarding school for orphan girls where she is receiving a good education in preparation for taking her place in the newly emerging world - Eve is highly intelligent and hopes for a high flying career in which she can really make a difference to rebuilding the world after the cataclysmic plague that has wiped out the majority of the population and left a whole generation orphaned. Eve has great plans and the King who is ruling over this new civilisation has great plans for Eve too - the only problem is that Eve doesn't know that her great plans and the King's are worlds apart and the future he has in mind for her isn't one that any woman would want.
Alerted by the school rebel, Arden, Eve checks out her future and is so horrified that she goes on the run and finds out that life is a lot more complicated than her teachers had led her to believe.
Eve has been raised in an all female environment and knows that boys/men exist, but also that they are the enemy, to be avoided at all costs. Brought up on a carefully controlled diet of readings from classic works of literature that emphasize that any relationship between men and women ends up badly for the woman, Eve has a lot to learn about love in particular and while she's on the run she encounters love in a variety of formats.
I'm being careful not to give too much of the plot away - but this is a well written, well conceived (you'll get the pun when you read it!) novel about a horrific future world where women really aren't safe but not necessarily for the reasons Eve believes at the start.
I would recommend this book if you enjoy reading future fantasy fiction and am looking forward to the sequel; hopefully coming soon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Eve, 1 Dec 2011
This review is from: Eve (Eve Trilogy) (Paperback)
Starting off in a girl's boarding school, I was a bit worried about where the plot was going to go. I definitely did not want to read another whole book set in a school! Once the whole reasoning of the school became apparent, I loved this aspect of Eve. If the world did ever turn out this way, as it does in this book, I could totally see this kind of thing happening and this made Eve quite scary. Anything that could actually happen freaks the hell out of me and that was exactly the case here.

Once Eve leaves the school though, things started to go downhill... and fast. Along with Arden, another girl from school, Eve is put into some crappy situations which she doesn't help at all! In matters of being free or being caught, Eve's reactions were extremely delayed even though Arden shouts at her to do something. Eve was pretty stupid at times and considering she's supposed to be the brightest girl in her year, I just didn't understand what she was doing.

Even though I had problem with Eve herself, the world building in this book was amazing. Anna Carey has really thought of ever single little detail in regards to how the world ended up like this, the cause of the problems and what could be done to fix them. The different aspects and areas of the world are described so vividly that I could really imagine myself there which is not necessarily a good thing. Some of the places that Eve finds herself in are quite disgusting and I would rather not be able to picture myself there.

The pacing of Eve was great!! Time is taken to explain the situation and then expands on this. The background information as extremely useful and I'm glad time was spend on this. Eve has times where a lot of things happen in a short space of time which makes it exciting but there are also some slower periods where you are able to catch your breath. There is a big build up towards the end and leaved on a pretty big cliffhanger which I loved.

I didn't completely love Eve but it was definitely a promising start to a new series and I can't wait to see what is in store next for Eve!

4.0 out of 5 stars Meh, 28 Sep 2014
This review is from: Eve (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book. So easy to read and I could read t over and over again for days. The only downside of it is the ending, I felt it was too rushed, and that is was very weird that Caleb just left Eve there at Califia, I felt it was a vert weird decision for the author to choose. But other than that I loved the book!

2.0 out of 5 stars ummm ...., 25 Mar 2012
Kirsty at the Overflowing Library (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not entirely sure what to say about this title except to say that it wasn't the best YA dystopian I've ever read.

I did like the concept to this book and thought the initial ideas for it was quite good however what the author then did with those ideas left me feeling somewhat disappointed

I felt like the story went too fast. There was always something new happening. This meant that as soon as you got your bearing as a reader and thought you knew what was happening something else would kick off and suddenly you were thrown in a new direction. I like twists in a storyline as much as the next person but it just got to the point where it felt like the author was throwing in it for the sake of it.

This therefore meant I never really felt like I got to know the main character and therefore didn't really care what happened to them.

I felt that this story itself while aiming to be a YA title was pitched a little young and therefore it felt like I was been patronised throughout the entire story.

All in all not a series I'll be worried about continuing with any time soon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Predictable first part of a series, 15 Mar 2012
M. Bray "Mia" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In post apoloypictic plague america eve has brought up within a school for orphans, believing she will graduate into the new city. However on the eve of her graduation she learns that they have infact been bred for a baby farm to provide the residents of the city with children, and not only that but the king himself has selected her to make him an heir. Having been brainwashed to the dangers of men Eve escapes to the outside world and slowly befriends a boy as she heads for refuge.

Eve is fairly well written but deoesnt stand out from similar literature in any way apart from perhaps its graphic descriptions. The plot is predictable and Eves obliviousness to the glaring dangers are at times cringeworthy.
Its an ok read but not one i'd go back to or be inspired to read the sequel

Eve