Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 3 June 2011
This is the fourth expansion pack for the The Sims 3 (PC/Mac DVD) and although it is somewhat interesting, it is my least favorite expansion pack so far. It is aimed to people who like creating big families and play with toddlers, children and teen Sims more, but for adult Sims it doesn't really add much.

First of all, it brings back some things from the Sims 2 that even though I missed when I first started to play Sims 3, now I could live without. The most obvious return is the memories, as Sims can again remember important events. They can also have some long forgotten interactions with their fellow Sims, like giving gifts and offering flowers. In addition private schools are back, which is very nice.

So far I considered baby, toddler, and child ages a waste of time, but now there are a lot of new toys and interactions for adolescent Sims, my favorite being the addition of tree houses. In the past, Sims had to stay home when they were raising babies and toddlers or call a babysitter, now they have strollers to take their babies with them, which is definitely an improvement. Also Sims can have an imaginary friend from their birth who grows up with them. Apparently depending on how strong the child's relationship with the imaginary friend is, the imaginary friend can become real at some point; I haven't reached that stage yet, but I am really looking forward to that prospect.

However, this expansion does not add much to adult Sim's lives apart from a few interactions and celebrations. There is a better wedding celebration and bachelor party as well as a graduation celebration. Sadly, there is only one new career as babysitter which is not even interesting in my opinion.

Naturally, there are some new clothes and hairstyles and some new homes but they are not that many or great. The main disappointment however for me was the lack of a new neighbourhood, I really expected one as all previous expansions had this addition.

The game was easy to install to my pc, and I haven't noticed any problems to my gameplay so far, but as I have only played for a couple of hours, time will tell. Obviously I am expecting problems as with all new expansions but I am confident that they will be corrected through patches as they always are.

In total, this is great if you like creating families, if not, you won't get much from it.
on 3 June 2011
Pros
I love the new day care feature. A new job is always fun to explore and it's quite different to things they've given us before.
The new items are fabulous. I for one have wanted bunk beds and strollers forever! It's a really fun feature that I think enhanced the game and how good you can make kids rooms look. The slip n slide and tree house are cute too. There are a lot of new objects in this game and whilst they might not all be very useful or exciting, it gives you a lot more options in terms of decoration and making really cute themed kids rooms.
The new hair and clothes we do have are quite cool. Not just a rehash of styles we already had (*ahem* Late Night..)
Quite a few really nice new houses.
The memory feature is back which is good fun, if slightly pointless, adds a little bit extra to the game and I actually missed it before.
New traits 'Nurturing' and 'Rebellious'.

Cons
No new neighbourhood. I love having a new neighbourhood! It's probably the most excited thing in an expansion pack so it definitely feels like 'Generations' just isn't a proper expansion without a new neighbourhood. With all the new features they could have done something really cool. I think a sort of family oriented village type neighbourhood with smaller rabbit hole buildings and lots of playgrounds would have been nice but never mind!
Not many objects that aren't child related. There is no kitchen stuff apart from an oven, some small appliances and a fridge as far as I can see.
I personally would've liked more traits and a new rabbit hole to add something extra to the game.

Overall, I don't honestly see the point in this "expansion pack". It doesn't dramatically alter gameplay in the way that the others have done. I don't agree with people who say that it should be a stuff pack because it does add slightly more than a generic stuff pack. A little more time and development and this could have been really fantastic but as it stands it's more of a strange hybrid "stuffpansion pack".
If you're an avid Sims fan and are happy to overlook this in favour of a few new items and features then it's a good purchase but if you're looking for something on a par with 'World Adventures' or 'Ambitions' then this might not be the one for you.
on 2 August 2011
This expansion pack for the Sims 3 added some new dimensions to the game which were previously unseen in earlier Sims games such as playing pranks, but I was disapointed that you could not play with teenage Sims whilst at boarding school. All in all it pales in comparison to the Sims world adventures and the Sims late night expansion packs.
on 2 January 2012
This expansion pack was interesting and added depth to the game, but it really felt more like a stuff pack. I'm really glad I didn't buy it at full price otherwise I would have been very disappointed.

There's an irritating loop with teenage punishments when a teen misbehaves to the point where they are grounded for two whole days. This means that if they try to leave the house, they are shouted at by their parents and the punishment is extended. Unfortunately, some sloppy planning on behalf of the game developers means that if the teen tries to leave the house to go to school, their grounding is extended and they are ordered to stay at home. This only gets worse when the end of the school day comes round as Mum or Dad accuses the teen of skipping school and again extends their extension. Grrrr! If your teen can get into good enough favour with Mum/Dad, they can plead with them to have their punishment lifted but this isn't always immediately possible.

There are a few other irritating quirks that come about from having Generations and other expansion packs, but I won't go into them. They are minor and don't bother game play too much, just cause you to roll your eyes at the game development.

In summary - this is an enjoyable expansion pack that will enhance game play, but buy it when it's reduced by at least half otherwise you will feel like you have wasted your money.
on 29 November 2011
I wasn't sure about buying this at first, but when I left university to be faced with large amounts of free time I gave in. Having waited so long to get it, the price had come down quite a lot which was definitely a good thing - I would have been annoyed had I paid the price it was originally released at. However, it was definitely worth what I did pay.

The previous several EPs for the Sims3 all fulfilled what players - or at least I - have come to expect from them. New careers, new traits, and, most importantly of all at least to me, a new town to explore. Generations only offers some of these. There is no new town, which was what I found most disappointing, although there are several new houses you can place in existing towns which I have found a lot of fun to play with. There is also no new original-style career where your Sim disappears inside a building for several hours, but there is the child-minding profession although I personally have not yet experimented with it. And there are only a couple of new traits.

Despite this, the game is a lot of fun. There are lots of new objects, activities and interactions for children and, to a lesser extent, teens and toddlers, most of which are fun, interesting and very cute. My favourites are the dressing-up box and treehouses. Overall, at the price you can now get this game for, I would definitely recommend it!
on 11 September 2013
The cash cows that is the Sims rolls on.

More stuff for yours Sims to enjoy and a compulsory purchase if your a Sims addict.

All these add-on packs make the Sims and expensive game and I whish wish they would release for official free stuff...
on 2 August 2011
It doesn't add anything much to the game. Its just as good without as it is with. The only thing I really like about it is the fact it had boarding school. But yeahh buy the others first i say.
on 2 July 2011
In a word, disappointing. I thought it would be similar to Sims 2 University but doesn't have as much content. In fact I wouldn't really describe it as an expansion pack, more a few additions. Some new hairstyles and clothes, some new furniture, not much. Loads of decorative objects for a child's room coupled with some new, mainly outdoor, toys. You can send your child to boarding school but they merely disappear and return at the next stage of life. Depending on the school depends on which trait they return with.
There are some new interactions between adult sims and the wedding arch is back. Best expansion pack by far is World Adventures. EA don't seem to have repeated this standard of expansion pack since.
on 20 August 2012
The Sims 3 - Generations

The Sims 3 Generations is an expansion pack for the Sims 3. It is really enjoyable and worth the money! I would recommend it to a casual game player. :)
on 19 August 2011
Really good add on to the game. Lots of new children and teenager clothes and objects (as you would imagine). Lots of fun, well worth buying.