5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded my expectations!
Published on 16 Oct 2012 by Russell

2.0 out of 5 stars Some good points but also major weaknesses
This is my 3rd TomTom and I've beeen very happy with the previous models. I mainly bought it for the free European map updates as they are very expensive to buy. Apart from the free map updates its good points are the large clear screen and clear spoken directions including street names. The bad poins are:
- Long boot-up time, about 60 seconds
- Ridiculously...
Published 11 months ago by PeterRH

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded my expectations!, 16 Oct 2012
This review is from: TomTom Start 25 UK (Electronics)
This is my second TomTom, my first was a GO700 which is still going well after 8 years. I changed because I fancied a large screen and the new features. I deleted my old TomTom Home2 site on my computer completely and installed the new one for the Start called 'MyTomTom' which is a free download on the TomTom main site page 'Getting Started'. I would advise you to do the same to avoid any problems if you have a previous TomTom.

My Sat Nav was up to date straight out of the box but I connected it up and it updated the traffic cameras and some shared map info with no problems. You can check if yours is up to date by going to 'settings',then 'me and my device', then 'about my device'. At the time of writing an up Sat Nav will read on the second line (App 12.045.1067676.84 (0) 2041, 19/9/2012 [the date I did it, yours will have a different date of course] OS 1017068. Be warned this is not a fast process even with a Broadband connection!

I really like the 5" screen it's bright and clear and the voice is clear and very loud. The new holder remains with the Sat Nav when you remove it from the windscreen and folds flat - which is a very good idea. If you did have any problems with it, it can be easily removed and cheaply replaced. Putting it on a windscreen and removing it is simplicity itself. Having spoken road names is great and you are sometimes surprised by the fact that you never really knew the name of a road you travelled on for years! Not all the voices work with spoken road names you must choose one that says it speaks street names of which there is only one English one on my Sat Nav (Serena). I found it picks up the satellites very quickly and the speed at which it processes routes is very very good. All the new features are really good and worth having and the Points of Interest are amazing - they even give you the telephone numbers so that you can call to book a table or to check if an item is in stock etc. I was originally frustrated by the fact that it didn't have a battery indicator, so I couldn't tell if it needed to be charged or if it was fully charged, but one suddenly appeared! I don't know whether it came with a download/update or whether it needed a good charge first before it appeared but it's there now - hoorah! I found that the home charger for my Blackberry phone which has a micro connection charges it up perfectly or it can be charged by your computer with the lead supplied in the box.

All in all this is a really excellent Sat Nav and I am absolutely delighted with it. I have no hesitation in recommending it to all those who don't need to use it as a phone; don't want the Live Link traffic updates and get frustrated by voice recognition systems that don't recognise what you say.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely little SatNav, 14 Oct 2014
M. G. Moyes "MM" (UK) - See all my reviews
I read all sorts of woes about this model but its great:

* Very quick to start up
* Quick to find satellites
* I like the new Motorway lane guidance
* The mounting is superb
* It is thin and light enough to go into my pocket
* Updating the maps is easy although, inevitably, a 3GB download takes a while: 2 1/2 hours in my case

The only issue I had was that it wouldn't connect via MyDrive. I phoned TomTom and they could not have been more helpful - apparently I had to de-register my old TomTom Go 700 before the new one would connect.
As many others have noted, phoning is much better than the website support which I found largely incomprehensible !

2.0 out of 5 stars Some good points but also major weaknesses, 9 Jan 2014
- Long boot-up time, about 60 seconds
- Ridiculously long time to find satelites after boot-up. In the half dozen times I've used it the time to find a salellite has typically been 10 minutes and on one occasion it was closer to 20 minutes. I do have a heated front windscreen which could potentially interfere with the signal but my previous two TomToms have had no problem whatever finding a satellite in 20 seconds or so with the same windscreen and the units positioned in the same place. Also once it has foumd a satellite it works fine and doesn't lose satellite contact.
- The mount is very inferiour to my last TomTom. It doesn't detach from the main unit so the suction cup can't be left in place when the unit is detached. This for me is a major deficiency as I like to remove it from sight when I park in a public place and its a lot of fiddling to remove the suction cup and then reattach it. I suggest you only buy this model if you're happy to leave it in place all the time.
- The screen sensitivity isn't quite as good as previous units using a finger though its fine with a stylus.
- People have mentioned the long time to update maps. Whilst it took about 90 minutes it was fairly straighforward. However, the one-time free update to the speed cameras doesn't seem to have been offered as it said 'camera updates expired' and at the end of the map updates the speed camera database was still about 6 months old. It was bought new from a major supplier and in a sealed box so I think the camera update should have been available.

I've had it about 2 weeks and am undecided whether I should return it for a different make or model or just try a replacement initially to see if the time to find a salellite is better though the poor mount would still be an issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Start well with Tom Tom, 9 Sep 2011
This review is from: TomTom Start 25 5" Sat Nav with Europe Maps & Lifetime Map Updates(45 countries) (Electronics)
Bought for my wife who is technophobic! This Tom Tom is intuitive and very easy to use and my wife has operated it without difficulty over 1500 miles in France this summer without having to look at an instruction manual. She does not use motorways or the major national routes and the Tom Tom has navigated her perfectly through the minor scenic routes that she prefers. It has several features that are excellent, the screen rotates so that the image and instructions are always the right way up, voice prompts are unambiguaous and detailed and the screem itself is very clear. The power cable is good with a usb charger built in and the same cable can be used to connect to your PC for updating maps and speed camera locations. A good product that works well.

2.0 out of 5 stars buy with care, 18 Aug 2013
If you can keep it working then it works fine as a sat nav and is as accurate as any I have used. The plus points would be the lane tips and the graphics.

however Tom Tom has a few problems. firstly mine stopped being able to find GPS satellites. The update for that seemed to work ok. However the latest updates were a nightmare. Finally managed to get the updates installed but in doing so the application wiped the maps so now I am left with an updated sat nav that does not contain any maps. The support and software updates make this not worth the money in my opinion. Works fine until you need to update the device software and GPS fix software. Then it starts to go horribly wrong.

buy one with knowledge that after a period of time it will be easier to buy another one rather than update it. Lifetime map updates guarantee is something that sounds great but you will spend many hours cursing your PC to get it working

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a Good Start...Got worse as time went on..., 3 Jan 2014
R. P. Griffiths "raygrif" (Exeter, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought to replace an ancient Tom-Tom One. But...

Disappointed when opening box to find no charger, no manual, no separate fixing (sucker is built in).

It took over two hours to connect to the Tom Tom web site and to set up an account. First it told me there was no device connected (a lie), then it would go through pages of form filling only to tell me there was a problem and to try again. No idea what the problem was, but after two hours of doing the same repetitive tasks it finally connected and I was able to complete registration. Very, very frustrating.

There appears to be little difference in operation, menu choice and graphics between my old Tom Tom and the new one. You'd have thought that after all these years some of these things would have progressed but it seems that Tom Tom has decided to stick with its outdated system. Only the larger screen differentiates it from my older model. Also, I have had the unit switched on for nearly three hours now and it still has not 'acquired' a satellite fix. OK, it's indoors but I used to be able to get a fix with my old unit after a few minutes and I'm sure the satellites have not moved. I'll wait until it has charged and move outside and if the little swine does not acquire its signal, then it's going back.

Six months on and there is little change. Tom-Tom software is flaky as hell, sometimes it connects and sometimes it does not; acquiring a satellite takes up to 30 minutes, indoors or out. I can read a map faster. Updating the device takes between 1 and 2 hours, the technology is so outdated. I would not buy another Tom-Tom. Don't be fooled by the 'free' updates - it typically takes 4 to 6 hours to download and install. Waste of time.

Nine months on and Tom-Tom MyDrive is refusing to update the device, despite having the 'lifetime' update feature. On-line help does not address the problem and is ineffective.

I'm waiting for the Christmas offers so I can replace it, but not with another Tom-Tom; never, ever again. Neither will I sell it on ebay and pass on this miserable piece of junk; it will give me great satisfaction and pleasure to crush it underfoot.

I cannot honestly recommend this product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Speed Cameras NOT included, 28 May 2013
Happy with the Start 25, spec and price.

However, 3 or 4 days after receiving delivery, I get a message from TomTom stating that my subscription to Speed Cameras ends today, and I need to pay another £19.99 to get the updates!

Also, you cannot back up this device. TomTom have disable the 'Tomtom home' software on it. You can only use 'My TomTom' website.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly worried, 21 Jun 2012
Ant (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: TomTom Start 25 UK (Electronics)
I needed a new Satnav as my old one was very ancient, a bit battered and I hadn't updated the maps for seven years! It was a basic Tom Tom One but I liked it very much, especially the ability to re-route if you encounter a hold up. I asked for a new one for my birthday and got this, and was somewhat worried about it on reading the Amazon reviews - would it get a GPS signal, would it charge, would it still have the software that allowed re-routing? Well, so far I'm very satisfied as it does all of those things, plus I now have up-to-date maps and a nice non-chunky wide-screen satnav.

Other positives after a two-week trial: the lane advice is nice; I like the spoken directions telling you the name/no of the road you are joining and the direction of travel; it fits nicely onto the windscreen without leaving much of a mark, and it beeps at you when a "safety" camera is near. Not 5 stars because there is a bit of meanness evident by Tom Tom not including a case, but I bought a nice pencil-case from W H Smith that fits it for about three quid!

Slight confusion around Tom Tom Home v My Tom Tom (its the latter you have to use). Make sure you do the mandatory software update before you use it. My car is a Seat Leon - don't know if that's important.

So far, so pleased. Will update if things change...

5.0 out of 5 stars tomtom start sat nav, 10 May 2013
M. Kersey - See all my reviews
got this to replace my previous tomtom that stopped working, it's great, i like the way it goes automatically from daytime screen to nighttime as it gets dark.

1.0 out of 5 stars not loud enough, 3 Aug 2013
Not loud enough I contacted tomtom support team and was told that they were aware of low volume on their start series sat nav.They are trying to find a solution to this.