5.0 out of 5 stars Yeah, like it a lot..
I've been somewhat cynical in the past about owning one preferring to stick with a paper map. I thought I should get with the times and having seen a more expensive unit when a friend came around for the weekend, I decided to opt for an entry level device. The price for this Tom-Tom did not seem overly expensive.

In the box is:

the Sat Nav...
Published on 21 Jun 2011 by Mr. R. Pope

1.0 out of 5 stars Problems Start When You Try To Update
I bought this to replace my Tomtom GO520 which was a great but maps are expensive to update so I decided to just get a more modern satnav with Tomtom's 'latest map guarantee'. So I switched it on, had a play and it seemed basic but functional. Then I plug it in to update the map and since then it's just not worked.

Firstly, you can't back up your old map so if...
Published on 28 Sep 2011 by F. Fortune

5.0 out of 5 stars Yeah, like it a lot.., 21 Jun 2011
Mr. R. Pope "riproaringrock.co.uk" (Tring, Herts. UK) - See all my reviews

In the box is:

the Sat Nav itself
a car charger lead [which joins to...]
a USB cable [which joins the unit itself to the charger]
a paper quick start guide

This Sat Nav can sit on a dashboard beanbag [purchased separately] if you decide to go for this. It uses a sucker which with a simple twist locks the seal. Alternatively it will attach itself to the inside of the windscreen using the same method. Out of the box and into the car then, the Sat Nav found my home position quickly after powering it up. I set this and I was up and running in five minutes tops.

The first thing to do is to find your destination and you can do this easily using a postcode or a place of interest, once it has searched for the destination, highlight it, and the machine will do the maths for the journey showing you how long it will take and details of the destination. It can also show you parking options near where you are going or if you wanted to do a trial run of the journey, you also do this and watch the proposed route.

First I gave it a local test and it found Tescos about eight miles away very easily. The display giving me adequate time to adjust lane if necessary, giving the correct number of exits on a roundabout or giving me adequate time to turn. It was here I tested the Sat Nav's ability to adjust itself when I made a mistake. It recalculated a different route very quickly without fuss.

I discovered by playing with the unit whilst parked up that there are a number of voice options to try as well. There are a number of English female or male voices to choose from however, only one English female voice will tell you the name of the road you are turning into or approaching. The rest will just say "turn right" or "turn left" when you need to.

I took it on a more sophisticated journey to London NW5 at around 3pm on a Thursday and it coped well on the A40 into central London. This would have been normally a slightly fraught journey as I am unfamiliar with driving in the city, but I came through well particulary at junctions. This is because the display shows [with a quivering yellow arrow symbol] which lane to get into in good time, and I wasn't left with that awful feeling of other drivers staring me down because of my hesitation in choosing the correct place to be.

The unit will beep if you are within range of a speed camera. This is a distracting noise but can easily be turned off along with a number of other alerts by removing a tick from a list under the settings menu.

The journey back to my house in Hertfordshire from NW5 after midnight early Friday morning was quite simply executed. I switched the Sat Nav to night mode so the screen was illuminated more clearly, set the desination to Home and off I went. Initially, it did try to make me turn right where I couldn't, but I insisted and the journey was quickly rerouted towards the M1.

I rate this Sat Nav highly for someone who wants a simple starter unit.

4.0 out of 5 stars TomTom Start 25, 16 July 2011
G. Visser - See all my reviews
This review is from: TomTom Start 20 Europe Satellite Navigation System (Electronics)
I bought the Start 25 EU as a replacement for a 3 year old Garmin 255W, which died on me soon after a map update. Was initially tempted by the XXL as the price of those have come down now TomTom has updated their range. However the XXL has only 2GB worth of memory and therefore any updates to the European maps will not fit (so one has to choose what part of Europe one wants to install- not great if you want to go to Italy e.g.).
The good:
- The Start 25 EU has 4GB memory.
- Excellent screen. Great detail, which gives you a good idea of the road system around where you are travelling. In case you want to
get off your choosen route e.g when motorway signs tell you there are delays up ahead.
- Also better size: 5 inches is easier to see especially when mounted further away on the windscreen
- '3D' view is excellent.
- There are many ways you can adapt the screen and alerts to your own taste. E.g. how the map looks, how many instructions you want to
hear, even down to what sound, if any, for various types of speed camera's!(Garmin sound was either on or off)
- An other little trick: when you go somewhere you can choose to be directed to a parking area near by.
- Great route planning tool.
- Plenty of 'Points Of Interest' installed
- Perfect timing for turnings, not too early, not too late (My old Garmin often just spoke a little too early - many times I choose
the wrong turn when 2 were close by).
- Despite what you find on TomTom's website, this one needs the MyTomTom software (not TomTom Home) installed on your PC (follow
instructions in the box). Very easy to use. MyTomTom instantly showed me an update for the Navigator software. Installed without a
hitch.
- Very prompt reply from customer service to e-mails (within 24 hours).
The not so good:
- No HD traffic, however, unless your job is travelling (e.g taxi, sales rep. etc.) I do not see the need as, after the first year,
this cost around £50/yr as part of the Live services package; e.g. in the more expensive Via Live 125 EU (which cost around £50 more,
so one pays for it anyway).
- Can't see the unit as a drive on ones PC. The reason is: the new generation of TomToms are using the Linux based file system instead of FAT/FAT32 as before. This was changed sue to Microsoft successfully sueing Tomtom for using the Microsoft FAT and FAT32 file system on a Linux platform. Microsoft claimed this was an infringement. Therefore Tomtom were forced to use another file system other than a Windows based one. TomToms have always run on Linux anyway, so the choice to use Linux file system was an obvious one.
- MyTomTom states my map is up-to-date, which is 8.65. However, the latest according to TomTom's website is 8.70. In other words:
'latest map guarantee' does not work. Also 'Map Share' funtion does not work and there is no facility to back up the device.
- On MyTomTom it initialy appeared that I needed an Activation Card for the 'latest Map Guarantee'. However no such card in the box.
Even after repeated questions regarding this to customer services, I still do not know if I need one. Somehow the Customer Service
staff ignore this question of me.
- Customer services has now passed me to a technical engineer, as they don't know why I cannot update the map. Been e-mailing
to and fro for about a week now, without resolve. (maybe I do need that card??)
- Customer Services don't seem to know the difference in software as I was advised by the first person to use 'TomTom Home'. Should be
'MyTomTom'
- Their website needs updating, e.g. The tomtom.com/getstarted website does not mention the Start 20/25 as sat navs requiring this
software.
- Reading the TomTom forums, these issues have dogged MyTomTom at least since February this year. Summer holidays are coming up and
still no resolve; not good to say the least. One would expect different from TomTom, being the Apple in sat nav land.
However: overal I think it is a great sat nav, let down by the update software of MyTomTom. Hopefully the TomTom folk get this sorted very soon! Together they would take some beating!

Update: It has been 2 weeks since I bought the device. It works fantastic. Advance Lane Guidance is a great help and screen is responsive. However still no resolve re the map update. I have tried suggestions from TomTom Forums like using a different PC with 32bit (instead of 64bit) of the Windows OS and different browsers, tried all the suggestions from the TomTom Team, incl. turning off the Norton Internet Security Suite temporarily whilst updating device, being 'hardwired' to internet and using the PC's rear USB connection. From their end they got my map download to work, however it appears I was assigned the wrong map (error as it was done manually) and hence I was unable to install it. My TomTom account was then rebuild by them. And now I am back to square one, as MyTomTom states once more there is no map update. Insane really.

Update 2: Now been 4 weeks. Been on holiday and sat nav worked a treat. Recalculating a route is superfast. Easy to read & follow instructions. So much better then my previous Garmin. However: TomTom finally admitted that unit might be faulty and I was able to get device replaced. Halfords will only do this once TomTom gives them an authorisation code, without it one cannot change the device nor get a refund. The new Start 25 has exactly the same problems: I can update the Navigator software, but not the maps. This one is going back as well. Already sent an e-mail to TomTom!

Update 3: RESOLVED. Five weeks in and now on my third device (silly maybe, but I really like this sat nav - so have been persistent). This time MyTomTom offered the map, downloaded fine, but again installation failed. On the phone to them almost on a daily basis. Apparently appears that the device thinks it is out of memory (which it is not), so no space for the new map. Finally someone at TomTom took 'drastic' action and with a small download wiped the old map of the sat nav. New map downloaded in around 25 min (20MB cable connection) and installed on the device in around 30 minutes. Checked map version: 8.70. Result! TomTom support staff have confirmed that I should not have these issues again in the future. The Support Staff have been very patient and very friendly throughout. I have asked them though, when these issues occur with someone else, to take the 'drastic' measure straight away. Will solve quite a few headaches for all parties involved.

Update 4 (Final): Have now also been able to download the August 2011 map update(Version 8.75). Download and installation went without problems. Looks like TomTom finally got this sorted (and that is the same thought of people placing messages on the TomTom forums).

1.0 out of 5 stars Problems Start When You Try To Update, 28 Sep 2011
F. Fortune (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews

Firstly, you can't back up your old map so if you install a new map it deletes your old one first before downloading your new one. Consequently if you're download doesn't work then you've a satnav with no maps or a brick.

I've been onto Tomtom about it but as with most IT companies they ask you what system you're using, Pc or Mac, what browser, wireless, wired..? Personally if the unit is going to be that picky about how it gets it's data then it's just not worth the effort.

My grievance isn't with the unit but the way it's 'updated' or destroyed as in my case. I wouldn't buy another Tomtom if it had to be accessed by Mytomtom.

UPDATE
Tomtom eventually replaced the unit after 7 weeks of constant emailing and chasing them up. A little googling showed this as quite a common problem. The unit is basic but adequate and works okay but I dare not plug it in to the computer again. It's just wasn't worth the hassle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Upgrade from Start, 7 Jun 2011
I bought this (the UK version) 2 weeks ago as an upgrade from the Start TomTom sat nav and I've been thoroughly pleased with it. The screen is bigger (4.3") and, as a consequence, the touchpad is larger and instead of accidentally tapping the wrong letters/ digits in, as I regularly did with the Start, I now get my destination postcode right each time I plan a new journey.

I like the fact that the street names can be spoken aloud and that I can now have my sat nav attached to my dashboard and swivelled upside down, thanks to the flip screen, rather than sticking it to my windscreen, which is quite a stretch forward from the driver's seat in my car. In addition, the routes are, as the last reviewer stated, excellent; whereas my Start took me on some slightly odd routes (despite having the most up-to-date maps), the Start 20 seems to be taking me on easier/ faster routes up and down the motorway. Advanced lane guidance is also a nice touch for the motorways (although I wouldn't have minded just slightly more advance notice on which lane to be in).

My only gripe is that the 'richer maps' aren't that rich. I occasionally get a few blobs of green (depicting fields, no doubt) next to main roads/ motorways on my journeys, which aren't as 'rich' (read pretty!) as I'd hoped... a minor niggle, though, and not one worthy of the Start 20 losing a star over. Overall, a great entry level sat nav and I'm delighted with my purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars New to GPS but thought it might be easier than this!, 5 Aug 2011
I have had my Start 20 Europe for two-and-a-half days and have spend most of that time either on the phone to TomTom or downloading data. In a nutshell, if you want it for a holiday or important trip, buy well in advance, or update map afterwards!

Only read on if you want to hear my whinging ...

The saga began after I took my first (slightly weird) trip - it was a good job I knew where I was going!- and I plugged the thing into the MyTomTom programme, which I downloaded at the device's request, to get my free map upgrade. It then informed me I had the latest map, while the TomTom website said a newer one was available.

So I rang customer services, and was only on hold for 10 mins (!). The agent eventually told me that there was a glitch and he manually added the new map to my account. Three hours downloading later, the computer said no, and the device said no.

I tried again; three hours later, the same thing, so I went to bed.

Today, I was told something about the device tried to add the map, rather than update ... couldn't really understand what the guy said but he assured me this wouldn't happen during future map upadates.

BUT then the TomTom deleted it's map! GAH!

Three hours later, the third download was complete, then another hour for it to reinstall into the machine. All good, except now it doesn't see the satellites.

Customer services runs me through a procedure, which left it with a black screen for over an hour.

A fourth call to customer services, finally makes the thing work again.

I have nothing to compare this too, as it is my first SatNav, and I am hoping I will grow to love it, but so far, I think, 'could do better'.

The customer services guys are very nice though, and very helpful, and they got it going. After all, they are not the ones who make the TomTom

5.0 out of 5 stars TOM TOM Start 20 (Europe):- Brilliant, 3 July 2011
I purchased one of these and it was faulty. Or at least, after going on forums for hours I couldn't get it to work. I returned it the same day to Amazon and ordered a replacement. As usual Amazon were fantastic and my replacement was with me next day (ordered express delivery). This one loaded up and worked immediately. I tried it out locally for a day before heading off to Italy two days later where I hired a car at Milan airport. The TOM TOM was superb, getting me out of the airport and on the road to my destination, Lake Maggiore without problem. About half-way, the clutch started to burn out on my hire car so we entered the nearest hire company destination and TOM TOM took me through the back streets of Varese to the hire place and the car was replaced. For the next two weeks we drove all around Lombardia and up into Switzerland and the TOM TOM was absolutely fantastic. Can't praise it enough. Easy to use, easy to understand the very English pronunciations of Italian roads and towns. And it saved me a hell of a lot of hassle replacing the car. If you are thinking of getting one...... do it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't try to download maps from TomTom home page, 14 Oct 2011
This is my second TomTom product. The original (XL Europe) was perfect in almost every way except for poor battery life which finally motivated me into getting a new TomTom. Unfortunately I never used the Start 20 on the road but have given it a 1 star review since TomTom cannot get the product to download maps properly off their webpage. Once you try to update the maps off their website, it deletes the original map so that when the download finally fails, you have no map at all! What an incredible design fault. No reset will help since the preloaded maps are deleted from the SatNav if you try to do an update. I tried to fix this many times all with the same result "Something has gone wrong...".

The online help people tried to assist but it appears the product/website may not interface properly with Internet Explorer. They finally suggested I switch web browsers to Firefox or Chrome since they've received similar problems with other customers. After many hours trying to get this to work, I'm not about to switch web browsers just because TomTom can't get their product to work on the most popular web browser.

If you buy the product, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO UPDATE YOUR MAP FROM THE TOMTOM WEBSITE. It may work fine if you just plug and play. Me, I'll never know and the experience has put my off TomTom for good.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pity new map update doesn't work, 4 Feb 2012
Mr. A. B. Rodgers (Sheffield United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have rated this product just one star before using it in anger, the reason being what appears to be a general problem which seems to occur across the product range and across all regional markets. Described simply, the product is advertised with a free map upgrade within 90 days of purchase and whilst the associated application recognises that updates are available and indeed invites you to download them, no progress is made when attempting to do so.

I'm a believer in self help so I've trawled forums both Tom Tom specific and wider Internet groups to discover that the problem is endemic, regardless of Tom Tom model. Suggestions to remedy (avoid IE9, use Chrome/ Firefox, delete your cache etc) appear to have minimal success and whilst I haven't tried Tom Tom support myself yet, reports from others don't fill me with wild optimism.

I'm so disappointed to find that a market leading product suffers from such a widely experienced problem and for such a long time. I will persist and am not yet on the verge of returning the product but I do wish I'd taken more notice of the other reviews for this product on this site.

On the plus side, device management and manipulation appears intuitive enough and I anticipate it will be a useful purchase eventually. Delivery was astounding; i.e. an afternoon purchase delivered the next day.

The main feeling however, is one of disappointment. I've spent my entire working life of over 40 years in the I.T industry so I'm not a novice at this sort of thing but goodness knows how people without some sort of technical background have coped or will cope.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 26 Aug 2011
Great product, i killed it after connecting to PC, contacted Amazon instant dispatch of replacerment item.
Tom Tom supplied fix to reset in answer to email so stopped dispach of replacerment.
Buy with confidence that you will be looked after buy Amazon and Tom Tom if there is any problem.
The Tom Tom Start 20 is very good and works well, neat and compact easey to carry or hid.
Pressed the speed camera button at home, it then told me there was a camera outside my house, but easely deleated.
A breeze to use and highly recomended,for both item and service.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware poor battery life., 24 Aug 2011
So far I've been impressed on the whole by the product - the lane selection indications are clear and very helpful, and the general usability of the system is well thought out; pretty much anybody could pick one up and find their way from A to B with limited stress. I recently found it to be a life-saver while driving through north London during the rush hour.

However, battery life is a concern. I initially charged the unit by connecting the USB cable to the PC. I left it connected for the best part of two hours, and the battery appeared to be charged, but on trying to use the unit it went dead shortly after I had programmed in the first postcode.

Thankfully I'd brought the 12v connector with me. I plugged it in and set off. Before too long the battery returned to the 50% level, but it never got any further.

Once I knew where I was heading I disconnected the power cable and in under 30 minutes it was on the verge of running out of power.

The implication of this is that you essentially have to have the unit connected to a 12V supply (cigarette lighter) most of the time during a long journey, and depending on the layout of your car and your preferred position for the unit this can be a real pain; in my car the cable rubs on my wrist whenever I change gears. It simply should be better in this respect.

Other small niggles:

i) System continually informing me that I'm breaking a 40mph speed limit on a stretch of motorway when there was clearly no such limit imposed. It makes alarming noises ever few seconds when you drift significantly above the limit. I'm sure that you can turn them off, but the fact that the information was incorrect is worrying.

ii) On the whole islands are great, but on one occasion it got confused and told me to take the second exit, straight on, when in fact it was the first exit. Small niggle, but it almost led to an incorrect turn.

All in all though a good unit. Just be ready to feed it some juice!