1,060 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars really good read
this is a really good read even better it was free on my kindle would recommend to friends carnt wait to get on to the next book which is only 66p.
Published 21 months ago by Natalie

1.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't recommend
Published 15 months ago by Linz86

1.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't recommend, 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Fallen Star (Kindle Edition)
I tried to work through this book but only managed 21%. I really wanted to keep reading but the style of writing just annoyed me so much. Take this for example "If it wouldn't have been for a guy - whose name I think is Jason - scooting past us, i'm fairly certain we may have stood there forever, just starting at each other. But the Jason guy ruined the moment". It just seems very poorly written in my opinion and it seems to be jumping on the Twilight bandwagon. Everything is "crap" or "sucks" or "totally awesome". Unfortunately the writing has put me off completely and I won't be reading any further. Definitely not a book I would recommend, glad it's free as i'd be gutted if i'd paid for it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea but ....., 29 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Fallen Star (Kindle Edition)
This book has me torn on whether to continue with the series. It is an interesting idea and has potential to be very good, and in parts it was, however i found the writing style difficult at times. Gemma the lead character frustrated me with her lack of ability to figure out what was going on and the love interest aspect lacked substance, however i think this probably would be explored in later books. As mentioned on other reviews the author did repeat phrases and the ending was disappointing. As it was a freebie I've given it 3 stars, however if i'd paid for it i would have been less friendly.

5.0 out of 5 stars really good read, 9 Mar 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars best book ever, 9 Dec 2012
this book is amazing.

i am a lot younger than most readers will be,however i think it is amazing. any twilight fans would love it. i rarely read these kind of books but felt somewhat intriuged by the characters and storyline. i have never bought such a good book for such low price. i would read it all over again anytime!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars!, 17 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Fallen Star (Kindle Edition)
I couldnt put the book down, read it in half a day! brilliant storyline was very gribbing, loved the characters, and loved the ending! if your into twilight, nightworld ect. this is the book for you! x

4.0 out of 5 stars Witches, keepers, vampires and Fairies - and a star!, 30 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Fallen Star (Kindle Edition)
This was a really easy read and a great story. Its about a girl who realises as she starts feeling emotions that there is a whole world and life she didn't realise was out there and that she is the key to saving the world. As she finds out more, life seems to get more danderous. She doesn't quiet know who to trust, especially Alex who she has a connection with, though the electricity between them will lead to more. There are Keepers, witches, vampires and Fairies in this book and a great all round read. And the journey continues in this 4 book adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, just couldn't put this down, 9 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Fallen Star (Kindle Edition)
Once I started reading this book I just couldn't put it down. I bought it as it was cheap & let me tell you, it's worth purchasing. Once I finished I logged straight back on to purchase the rest of the series.

It's addictive, fasinating, happy, sad, keeps you guessing... there isn't a bad thing to say. Great read & thank you to the author!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing read!, 13 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Fallen Star (Kindle Edition)
This book is absolutely original. As soon as I started reading I couldn't stop. I cant wait to read the next book. I'm in love with all the characters and the plot there is just so much too keep you reading!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Review: The Fallen Star by Jessica Sorensen, 30 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Fallen Star (Kindle Edition)
I should have known this was a bad idea from the length of the book on my Kindle homepage. It was more than twice as long as all my other YA books, which either indicated an epic adventure with lots of different characters and plot threads cleverly interwoven, or that it would be a bloated mess. From the synopsis I suspected the latter, and I wasn't wrong.

If you could call the wandering mess of a storyline a plot, then it started emerging maybe around chapter five or six? Prior to that was pages of needless whining from Gemma about her sucky life, school lessons, homework - the only mildly interesting thing being the introduction of potential love interest Alex.

Who despite being a complete and utter tw*t, is so dreamy and good looking, magically making electric sparks course through Gemma's body, that she falls for him instantly - her head emptying of all thoughts. Well. There weren't many thoughts going on in there anyway.

As main characters go, Gemma is about as vapid and stupid as they come. At one point, she overhears her guardians and Alex talking about Alex being sent to get close to her so they can learn her secrets. And she still questions what the hell is going on. Sorry, I should say `heck.' What the heck is going on. ARGH. This probably won't bother other people as much as it did me, but seriously, heck???? My nan says heck. If it was a little quirk of Gemma's that she didn't like to swear, I could buy it, but all the characters say heck, and it's just ridiculous.

So, Gemma is wilfully ignorant, crazy about the hot, controlling, abusive idiot that just happens to make her feel all fuzzy and electrified aannd... not much else. If she had any character traits they weren't consistently delivered or explored. The sum total of her defining features is her violet eyes (cliche, right there) and her utter lack of any gumption or braincells.

There are some interesting ideas - Gemma never experienced any emotions until very recently, paranormal creatures existing, Keepers, Foreseers etc, but it's all handled so haphazardly, it just becomes confusing. Gemma never felt anything before, and yet she never stops to be confused about the new emotions she experiences - she just recognises them magically. Magical creatures and other worldbuilding things are thrown in as they becomes pertinent to the plot, leaving you just bewildered as to what is going to happen next.

In fact, the whole thing is just poorly executed, and even more poorly edited. There was a comma splice in the first sentence for God's sake... Grammatical errors, spelling errors, the completely wrong word being used (rouse instead of ruse for one example) were frequent occurrences, along with flat out clumsy writing - repeating the same word three times in two sentences, cliched dialogue and spell-it-out-because-the-reader-is-cleary-too-thick-to-understand phrases, all hyphenated, just like that.

And then you have the flat out contradictions - like Alex giving Gemma a hard time for talking to someone who just started talking to her randomly, saying that she shouldn't have answered, and should have just walked away, then two sentences later saying it was okay for him to be talking to some random because it's impolite not to answer when someone starts speaking to you.

Er... wut?

I can forgive the occasional mistake, especially in Self Published books - it's so much harder for indie authors to finance and access the best editors, and we all make mistakes. I make them frequently. But there was confusion between `there, their and they're' are some points, and I just think any semi-literate friend ought to be able to spot that sort of stuff.

This is the sort of Self Published book that perpetuates the idea that all indie books are terribly written, rejected by agents and publishers for a reason, shouldn't be touched with a ten foot bargepole. And it's a real shame, especially when this is getting 5 star ratings by the hundreds and there are decent books out there getting no attention.

I'm just glad it was free. If I'd spent money on this, I think I would be baying for blood right now.

Rating: 1/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good, 9 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Fallen Star (Kindle Edition)
At first it was unusual but after first couple of Chapters it got loads better ... now I'm hooked x

The Fallen Star