Published on 25 April 2011 by John J. Martinez

3.0 out of 5 stars only a few gems
shed loads of content, but like so many other compilations, at best you've got about 30 per cent really worth listening to.
Published 7 months ago by mustafa

5.0 out of 5 stars Ministry Of Sound is representing once again their knowledge of true classics - almost, 25 April 2011
John J. Martinez (Chicago, Illinois, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Funk Soul Classics (Audio CD)
After a few missteps in previous music products, The Ministry of Sound (MoS)is finally starting to step up to the plate and swing with a much better bat. I've reviewed a few of their albums in the past and have been as positive as I can, but now they're getting serious with this new compilation. According to MoS, these 60 tracks are among the best of funk and soul, and all of them are considered classics. I was ALMOST with them 100% this time around again, but let's look at the positives and the negatives.

The positives:
Each CD has 20 tracks (with almost an hour of music on each one!), and the majority of these songs take me back to my AM radio here in Chicago. From Curtis Mayfield to The Delfonics, and from Issac Hayes to Shuggie Otis, this collection had me grooving along. It is a fun collection to simply throw on and party to, and if you're ever feeling funky, throw this on, jump into your 1975 Cadillac Eldorado convertible and fly down the highway! From Aretha Franklin to Arthur Conley and Booker T & The MGs made this a really worthy collection - I mean, who throws really obscure stuff like Gil Scott Heron's 'The Bottle?' I was, for lack of a better word, blown away by almost all of their choices! I say almost...

The negatives:
It's so minor I guess it can be considered nitpicking, but a few of the choices by the 3rd CD had me scratching my head yet again as MoS went in another strange direction. It simply took me away from the good foot to another area altogether. Those songs were as out of place as anything else, and it definitely knocked me off my groove.

As I have also mentioned in a previous review of a MoS record product, their inclusion of more 'modern music' versus the 'true classics' makes me wonder who's doing the selecting. Blue Boy? Martine Girault? Diana Brown and Barrie K Sharpe? Then there is the case of tracks by Coolio ft. LV and The Brand New Heavies. Who puts in 1990's rap-lite and New Jack jazz music in next to 1970's and '80s legends Zapp or Rose Royce?

Now to be fair again, I live in America and these songs were hits in the UK, probably in the R&B section (and their own way they were good songs), but they are not "true" soul or funk classics in the vein of Curtis Mayfield or Funkadelic. Granted, I still liked listening to them, but I don't think they belonged here. MoS slipped a bit again.

Overall, I loved the music anyway, the CDs were crisp and clear sounding and I was grooving really well, especially to the more obscure stuff, because that's the power of this music - it makes me now want to look for more of them, and I love that! I have to hand it to MoS, they scored with a winner here, but I hope their next album of 'classics' actually are all true classics.

I'm still going to give them 5 stars, but boy was that close! I almost didn't...

(Thanks for reading, and please leave any comments you've got, and don't forget to vote if you liked my review, too!)

3.0 out of 5 stars only a few gems, 27 Aug 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 25 April 2011
Andrew Cowie "acowie" (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Funk Soul Classics (MP3 Download)
This is a seriously good compilation. Be warned though, if you buy it on CD and rip it to your computer CD3 had its own spelling of 'Funk Soul Classics' and you might want to go in afterwards and correct the spelling of 'Fu*k'!

5.0 out of 5 stars World Class Funk!, 14 April 2014
This review is from: Funk Soul Classics (Audio CD)
From the beginning to about half way through the third disc this is absolute gold. Worth every single penny. x

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value ., 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: Funk Soul Classics (Audio CD)
Quick delivery ,great album but that is just a personal opinion.Great album for parties.That's all I can say really but they want me to fill in this review using so many words,I nearly didn't bother .

5.0 out of 5 stars Back In Time, 11 Dec 2013
This review is from: Funk Soul Classics (MP3 Download)
Ahh! A trip down memory lane. Plenty of singing foot tapping and dancing. If this album doesn't get the party going then....well.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Old school, 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: Funk Soul Classics (MP3 Download)
Really good to hear these old funk classics again. Great for themed parties and get togethers. Everyone will remember these brilliantly chosen tracks. highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haven't stopped playing this, 13 Mar 2013
This review is from: Funk Soul Classics (Audio CD)
LIke most of the songs on this album, makes me smile when I play it which has been nearly every day in car to work. 3 cd's , good value.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some classics..., 28 Feb 2013
This review is from: Funk Soul Classics (Audio CD)
..but a lot of this was available on another comp they release. Dunno what the last tracks on disc 3 are all about either.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funky indeed., 21 Feb 2013
Smitty Werbenjaegermanjensen (real name) (Thread rehab facility 37) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Funk Soul Classics (Audio CD)
This is basically a 3 cd feast of superb funky music played by a wide range of artists, from the famous to the loved by serious fans of the genre. There is more than enough good funk here to get anyone with a pulse to tap their feet.

ARRAY(0xa6b55864)