5.0 out of 5 stars A primer of good and fearless thinking.
Published on 7 July 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars a classic but not as specific as I'd like
The principles of general systems thinking are explained well, but I'd have liked some case studies of how this has been applied. It all sound good and has explained some things I hadn't previously understood but ultimately I was left looking for more. There is another book on the topic by Weinberg so maybe I need to read it too.
Published on 4 Jan. 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars A primer of good and fearless thinking., 7 July 1998
By A Customer
This book is a quiet little masterpiece, where its author shares his observations of his world in a personal way. With the same light touch, he also delves into the thought structures behind these observations. This is practical scientific philosophy with a folksy, conversational, almost homespun, style that never gets lost in abstractions or strays far from living examples in everyday life. Its lack of academic bluster and techo-pomposity is refreshing and informal, yet the insights have a power that cannot help but affect your own thought processes. An example ( for me) is the classification of all systems into three types: Determinate, Medium-number, and Statistical. This notion has proven to be fantastically useful over the years. Several other observations took some nerve to put into print. The net effect of the book is, at its end, also inspirational. Here is someone showing all of us how we can deal with the big, bad world in a friendly, humourous, courageous, and empowered way.

3.0 out of 5 stars a classic but not as specific as I'd like, 4 Jan. 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST-READ for any profession, 13 April 1999
By A Customer
If I had to select a book that has influenced my thinking most, it would be this one. This book alone spurred my interest in Systems Research, and is one that I have gone back to re-read many times.
Gerald Weinberg has taken the essence of General Systems Theory and formatted it for the masses. His insight into the methodology, and his ability to combine humor with explanation makes this a must-read in the field. While many of the examples are programming-based, that does not detract from the usefullness of this work.
The publisher needs to understand the importance of this work, and put it back into print!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fundamentals of systems, 14 Jun. 2012
In engineering and science we are overwhelmed by mathematical models of any sort, but do they always tell us the truth about a phenomena or a system? Do they make sense all the time? What assumptions are behind such models that we unconsciously take for granted? This book invites the reader to look behind the curtain. What is a system? What is the role of the observer? How do we define the behavior of a system? An introduction to better thinking which is worth reading more than once.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Introduction, 30 Jun. 2014
This review is from: An Introduction to General Systems Thinking (Kindle Edition)
The writing style in this book is relaxed and, at times, funny. This massively helps with the absorption of a reasonably taxing subject. You'll learn a lot from this book if you haven't yet read about Systems Thinking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me think in a different way, 17 April 2012
Helped me as an economist to 'think better'. Have been referrring back to particular chapters, and pointed me to other areas of systems thinking.

5.0 out of 5 stars I believe this is one of the most important books I've read., 28 Mar. 1998
By A Customer
I have re-read this book at least five times over the past 15 years. At each reading, it stimulates new thoughts and insights on diverse topics. It is a shame this book is out of print. It should be part of the general education curriculum for any college degree.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get your own back, 8 July 2003
Having had to employ consultants, work with them on projects and also being one myself, this book is an excellent eye opener into the world ( and mind ) of the consultant.
If you use them, this will tell you what makes a good one, and how to get the most out of them, and what they are trying to do ( basically get more work out of you )
If you are one, this will tell how to get more work out of your clients !!!!.
But best of all, it levels the playing field between client and consumer, which means everyone wins