5.0 out of 5 stars Blood Eagle: snapshot of a bigger story
Though this book is the first in the Jan Fable series of novels I read this after I had read the second book of the series "Brother Grimm". It's fortunate that I had, as I feel that "Blood Eagle" though a very good book sometimes lacks development in the themes and characters surrounding the main plot this can occassionaly point to an inevitable ending...
Published on 14 Mar. 2009 by K. Mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
I found this a difficult read. Clever but difficult. Not in the same class as Lennox books.
Published 6 months ago by Jim Clark

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Blood Eagle: snapshot of a bigger story, 14 Mar. 2009
K. Mitchell (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Eagle (Hardcover)

However having read two other books in the series I would emplore you to read this novel and the rest in the series as the characters and ideas explored are engrossing and the interactions between the primary characters are incredibly detailed drawing you into totally enthralling world of thrilling mystery. "Blood Eagle" is an essential component to this experience and lays the foundations for a fantastic series of novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars A different take on the police crime thriller, 30 Jun. 2008
R. E. Quinn (Great Britian) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Blood Eagle (Paperback)
This was recommended to me by a friend as something different to try.

So I duly brought it and sat down to give it a go and was taken completely by surprise.

Mr Russell has written a unique take on the police crime thriller with his setting in Germany which makes an interesting change to the USA.

Once you get your head around all the various departments in the German police it is a different way of looking at the serial killer verses the police thriller.

He is not afraid to be graphic with his description of the mutilations of the victims so it's not for those with delicate stomachs to read but if you have a cast iron constitution then this is the one for you with it's well written characters and solid story it will hold your interest from first page to the last.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bad things are happening in Hamburg, 12 May 2006
This review is from: Blood Eagle (Paperback)
I almost gave up on this book in the early part. The only reason I can think of was the lack of familiarity with German ranks, police departments and names - fortunately there is a basic glossary at the start just after the maps of Hamburg. Once I got used to them the story started clicking well.

Something isn't right in Hamburg. Two gruesome murders with emails from the killer to the senior police officer in charge (Erster Kriminalhauptkommisar Fabel) but there is no forensic evidence to make suitable headway. As an aside there is a persistent female journalist trying to get in touch with Fabel whom he ignores until too late. Organised crime and local politics eventually seem to be involved but to what extent is not initially clear. Worse is to come when the German equivalent of MI5 is discovered to have people involved and they have been holding back information leading to more deaths. Life becomes more complicated for Fabel and his team as they start to unravel the thread tying the crimes together. More detail? Read the book, it's worth it.

This is a good read for a first book with a sequel, Brother Grimm, coming soon. Once you become comfortable with the various terms and attitudes the book settles well and is quite enjoyable. It's well worth buying to escape from the usual American and British based crime books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Norse Code, 12 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Blood Eagle (Paperback)
I have just re-emerged back into the real world having been trapped up in my bedroom with this book superglued to my hand for the last 200 pages! Brilliant stuff!!

Only just missed out on 5 stars for me but for reasons I can't say, as too give anything away in crime fiction is..well a crime.

What I loved was the setting, the story, the personalities and that it avoided so many of the crime cliches. This is not a story of a maverick detective who though he solves a complex murder case every 6 months is loathed by his boss! Nor is it the story of a lone detective that everyone things is a crackpot because he follows his instinct rather than an obvious trail of clues.

No this is a story about a highly professional kriminalhauptkommissar (you've got to love that title!) who leads an expert team of police men and women through a highly complex case which seems to somehow link serial murder, right wing politics, corruption and gangland organised crime. What is going on out there? Read it find out I doubt you will be disappointed!

If like me me, you are coming to this series after Russel's other series of Glasgow based thrillers (Lennox) this is very different in feel. More complex and serious and set in comtempory Munich rather than the 50's. But If you have enjoyed Lennox or perhaps Kerr's Bernie Gunther stories I think you also like these.

I am feeling chuffed because I pretty much bought the enitre series in one job lot! I am tempted to lock myself in a room with them and just give Christmas a miss this year!

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice surpise, 6 Jun. 2006
K. Thomas "Kelbeans" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Eagle (Paperback)
Having read vast amounts of crime fiction novels, I was beginning to adopt a distinct "you've read one, you've read them all" attitude. This book, however, came as a very nice surprise. It manages to twist and turn constantly, keeping you on tenterhooks despite the fact that the identity of the main perpetrator is revealed fairly early. A welcome change from the usual "guess who?" game that always ends inevitably with a feeling of disappointment as you realise you were right all along.

The author has clearly done his research, making this book distinctly believable, and has not been scared to make references and links to real events, which I think is commendable.

This is the only author who has made me fear a city (Hamburg), and yet kindled a strong interest in me to visit and see the places described, the only exception being Thomas Harris with Florence.

In my opinion, the only drawback of the book is it's lack of conclusion, although I can't yet decide whether this adds to or takes away from the reading experience!!

Overall, a darn good read, and highly recommended, I will definitely be buying the follow-up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be Prepared For Blood!, 26 Jan. 2014
Kay (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Eagle (Kindle Edition)
A serial killer is stalking the streets of Hamburg leaving grisly scenes behind. The police must work out whether the motive is some form of cult, with ritualistic sacrifices, a political threat from some neo-nazi group or even, as some evidence suggests, someone within the police and/or security sectors. The detective in charge has a major problem rooting out the truth. Apart from getting my head around the use of German names for the police departments and the ranks of the officers this is a cracking good thriller that keeps the reader enthralled. The first I've read from this author and I'm sure it won't be the last.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast delivery and I am very happy with the read, does what it says on the tin,, 12 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Blood Eagle (Kindle Edition)
Fast delivery and I am very happy with the read, does what it says on the tin, good reading,trouble putting it down

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Jan Fabel story., 9 May 2013
This review is from: Blood Eagle (Kindle Edition)
If the dective murder genre is your bag then Jan Fabel, set in Hamburg, is a must read. It's worth googling to find out the chronology of the series and start at the beginning. I'm hooked and on the last of the series. Please keep going Craig. Russell's 'Lennox' series, set in post WW11 Glasgow, is also well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 20 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Blood Eagle (Kindle Edition)
Great story and so well written. The author really gets you involved in the story, great read can't wait for more Fabel exploits.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 28 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Blood Eagle (Paperback)
Having read the Lommax books I was not too sure about the Fabel ones.
But it was a delight to get into this and though a bit long and too much info for me I very much enjoyed it and am now on the next, Brother Grimm, which is even better.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›