Red Faction Armageddon (Xbox 360)
Platform: Xbox 360Edition: Standard EditionChange
Price:£4.12+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 2 December 2011
I bought red faction Armageddon because of the budget price and I played and enjoyed Red Faction: Guerilla.At first I was disappointed it wasn't a sandbox free roam like its predecessors' the developers adopted a more linear approach to levels design which makes the game seem significantly smaller than Guerilla all tho Soon it became apparent that these changes have improved the flow of the game and cut a vast amounts of going back and forth over sandy boring environment.Saying that I managed to finish the main story in two days and squeezed a few hrs out of Infestation mode and Ruin mode but for £6 that's just what I expected.A good all round game which might get another play-through once skyrims done.
PS......... all achievement junkies this is a easy 850 gs over 2 - 3 days work.
on 2 December 2011
Many of my reviews champion the underdog. You know, when I feel that something has been sadly overlooked or under appreciated. Poor little Red Faction: Armageddon is the next in line. It's a shame it's free roaming predecessor Guerrilla in many ways killed this one before it even left the blocks. It wasn't sandbox. Well, neither was any Red Faction game before Guerrilla. Besides, why can't you enjoy both? I personally loved the change of pace.

To me Armageddon brought Red Faction back to it's roots. That being getting underground and causing absolute chaos. Armageddon delivers this in SPADES. I thought the campaign was fantastic. It does start a little slowly. However persevere and you'll be rewarded with an exhilarating ride. This is a campaign that gets more exciting the farther you go. It has excellent pacing making it lean, mean and fat free. Sure it's generic, replete with gun turrets and exoskeleton madness but when it's this much fun who cares?

Armageddon has tight controls, some lovely visuals and top notch cut scenes. The "snap to enemy" trigger mechanic is the best I've seen. When you're surrounded by enemies (which will be often) then it works fluently, sweeping from enemy to enemy with consummate ease. Over the course of the campaign your armoury increases, providing many different weapon types. You also purchase upgrades using salvage collected by destroying buildings. This all adds to your general ability to cause utter destruction. Yup, destruction. Don't listen to the naysayers. There's some seriously cathartic devastation to be found on Armageddon. If you feel short changed then surely only nuclear apocalypse could quell your thirst for chaos.

Then there's the co-op survival mode of Infestation. Yes, this is Armageddon's take on the now familiar Horde mode. Nothing new here I confess but it's still brilliant fun. Mainly due to the movement of the aliens. There's no hanging back and waiting for the enemies to plod their way to you. These arachnid style bad boys are above you. Below you. All over you. It's 360 degree fire fighting and there is no respite. Four players ploughing through waves of these necromorph like nasties is an absolute riot. Thousands of bullets will be spent keeping them at bay. It's total chaos and my mates and I love it.

For the price this game is going for these days then I say pick it up. You really have nothing to lose. Appreciate it for what it is rather than what it isn't and you surely won't be disappointed. Five stars for a sterling effort.
on 23 October 2011
I'll start this review by looking back a couple of years to the previous Red Faction game, Red Faction: Guerilla. This game was brilliant, and the most fun I'd had on Xbox 360 in a while. I loved the huge map and the massive destructable enverionments. It was pretty much Saint's Row... only set on Mars and better.

So now we have Red Faction: Armageddon. Where, for most of the game, you run around in caves and can blow up stair cases and the odd, small building... yay! It puzzles me that after bringing out Guerilla, an amazingly fun game, they bring out this in which you have such limited freedom. Bad move, THQ and Volition.
on 16 May 2012
I must say I was very impressed with this game from the start. I have played it predecessor (Red Faction: Guerrilla) which I thoroughly enjoyed and it was exactly the same case with this one, if not more enjoyable. The campaign is brilliantly long; it feels like a full game which is not the case for most games nowadays which can be completed fairly quickly. I must add that as well as being long it was also exciting and engaging the entirety of the playthrough. The destruction physics on this game also do not disappoint and made the experience even more memorable.

I would definitely recommend this game to others.
on 3 September 2011
For starters, this game is really a lot of fun. The story in the game is a bit like an failed sci-fi, action, love movie. But that doesn't really matter as those are often not as beautifull to watch but all the more fun. The same goes for this game. As the story progresses you unlock more powerfull weapons and skills. And the bigger the guns get the bigger the destruction gets. The game doesn't get to the top of the graphics list these days but the game also doesn't need to. The destruction is animated very good and quit natural giving it a good feel. 1 big diffference with Red Faction: Guirilla is that it's predecessor really was about destruction and this is more of a shooter. Destruction still plays a good role in the game but it feels a bit more like a shooter then RF:G. This probably is caused by the terrain. Instead of the open marsian landscape you now fight undergroud in more tight and confined spaces. It has a different feel to it but it isn't necessaraly a good nor a bit thing. It's just different. Sometimes i missed the open martian landscape but sometimes the underground settlement had quit a nice feel to it

Then you have the infestation mode. This is some sort of survival mode where you try to battle 30 waves of enemies in a certain map, unlocking more weapons as the waves progress. This is a lot of fun especially if you can do it with 1 or more friends. It isen't as unforgiving as zombie's in Call of Duty: Black Ops. This is because if u die in wave 15 u can start again in wave 15 and not from zero again. This makes it more fun for the bit more casual gamer.

Last but not least there is the Ruin mode. In this you do the same as it's predecessor. You need to destroy as much as u can in as short as time possible. Again much fun but after a while its gets a bit repetative.

Graphics: 7.0
Destruction: 9.5
Shooting: 8.0
Story: 5.5
Fun facor: 9.0

Overall: 7.8
on 16 July 2011
Red Faction Armageddon is immensely entertaining, however its repetitiveness means the great fun quickly loses its novelty. The focus of this game is on its destructive and manipulatable environments: you can use the Magnet Gun to launch anything at an alien to defeat it, such as walls, explosives, even other aliens! other weapons include a gun that shoots a laser through all of the walls it encounters, and one that simply dissolves anything it touches.
The environments are dull, however. the colourful surface of Mars is seen very briefly in different parts of the game in favour of the dark, grey underground, as is explained by the game's story. And brief this game is. The story will take only a few days to complete, and its linearity leaves no room for exploration, unlike the game's predecessor Red Faction: Guerilla, which had an open world on the surface of Mars, making it almost a complete juxtaposition of the previous game.
After the short story is a co-operative multiplayer mode, which carries over any skills you unlocked in the story (and vice versa). Although it boasts many different maps they all play very similarly: either work as a team to defend a location against waves of aliens, or just survive against said waves of aliens. Buying an original copy of the game also gives you a free destruction mode, where you compete against the clock to cause as much damage as possible, or turn off the clock for unrestricted demolition. This can also be purchased from the Xbox marketplace if you have a pre-owned copy. You can probably finish the story and get tired of the other modes quite quickly.
That said, I have had a lot of free time on my hands, so someone who only plays the game occasionally may find it has greater longevity than I did. Before I end my review I should point out that the co-op mode suggested on the back of the game case is NOT split screen co-op, but rather refers to the game's system link capabilities.
Retrospectively, I would not steer someone away from this game, as it can be very enjoyable. If, however, you are looking for something with more sustenance than a few hours of story and an online mode, then make sure the price you've found matches what you're willing to pay for such a short, if reliably entertaining, game.
on 16 July 2011
I was a really big fan of Red Faction: Guerilla, played it loads and then went online and played for months and months until there was noone to play with anymore (I almost completely maxed out my ranking).

This new game seems to barely resemble Guerilla at all! I much preferred fighting the EDF over these, frankly, very annoying bug alien things. They leap all over the place and never take cover, resulting in an either annoying or boring fight. By the end I was literally just running through the levels ignoring the bugs where possible.

The other thing is the GEO-MOD engine (the thing that made Guerilla a brilliantly fun open world sandbox game)just does not get a look in. Most of the time your in very dark, cramped corridoors and such. So having fun with the environment is next to non existent. What makes this even more of a shame is that the weapons are great. And the exo-suit thing is brilliant fun. THe one or two levels with that in are the best. Shame there are no huge buildings to take out with it. And I wish I could take the magnet gun out and pop it in Guerilla multiplayer.

Speaking of multiplayer....where is it? One of the main reasons I bought this game was to play capture the flag and that again. They've stripped all that out and replaced it with Infestation. Wich is a survival mode where you have kill a load of bug aliens yet again.

In summary, average single player, great weapons, almost non-existent multiplayer. Very dissapointing.

If it only had a nice bit of multiplayer I could have forgiven the stupid bugs and popped an extra star in there. Oh well.
on 20 June 2011
This review is based purely on the single player campaign.

To start off I was a big fan of Red Faction Guerilla so I was looking forward to more of the free roaming, building bashing, driving off cliffs and generally causing havoc. Unfortunately the free roaming element has gone, RFA is a fairly linear game that directs you on a set course with not much chance of exploring or backtracking.
In RFG you would arrive on areas that were practically small villages of buildings you could have endless fun smashing to pieces or tearing through with a mech, in RFA there seem to be very few areas that you can totally destroy, and as most of the game is set in underground caverns (which gets very dull after a few hours) there is no chance to knock down huge towers and building.
There are no in game challenges as in RFG, no destruction mini games or timed races. There are a few sections of the game that let you drive vehicles, but again they feel very linear and uninspired and involve nothing more than shooting endless hoards of very similar enemies.

I found the storyline in RFG to be much more engaging and well thought out, you became interested in the characters and their relation to each other. In RFA we are given the story in small cutscenes but it is so dull and bland with very average animation and voice acting that you really don't pay much attention to it. By the end of the game I was skipping the cutscenes just to get back to the action, which wasn't a problem as the storyline is so predictable you can see what's coming hours before it happens.

The new weapons and tools in RFA are a welcome addition, sadly they are vastly underused. To have a tool that gives you the ability to rebuild the destroyed scenery opens up a whole world of possibilities, unfortunately it is used for mainly for repairing gaps in the floor or fixing machinery. The other weapons although interesting feel unnecessary because for most of the time (as with the magnet gun) there is no need to use them. I got through most of the game relying on the trusty assault rifle and the rocket launcher. The magnet gun (as with the nano forge) could have been used so much more for problem solving or building.

The enemies you come across are very unoriginal, I appreciate that it's hard to be original with some many other games on the market in this genre, but the same old half insect half alien creatures that jump from floor to ceiling and spit laser beams and bombs is very boring. The AI is practicality non existent as most enemies just come charging at you.

To sum up what we have here is a game that just feels very lazy and badly pieced together. There are some fun elements but the dreary level design and monotonous gameplay out weigh the good. It feels like a watered down version of Gears of War with some interesting weapons and tools thrown in at the last minute.

Rent or wait for the price to drop, not worth the hard cash.
on 13 June 2011
Red Faction Armageddon is the first of the Red Faction series that I've played and to be honest the game started on a downer for me, I read the back of the box to see the green words I love "Co-op 2-4 player", great, my girlfriend and I can play this together!
This, however, is no the case, the co-op isn't local co-op at all, it's over System link or Xbox Live, so why it states Co-op in green, I have no idea...

But on to the review...

As it boasts, it's full of mayhem and destruction of any (specifically) man made structure (However this isn't 100% true, but you have to draw the line somewhere...

I bought this game not expecting much (I only bought this game as Brink was £30 trade-in against it) but I have been pleasantly surprised.

The game starts off, easing you in, letting you get to grips with aiming, shooting and switching weapons before letting you loose on a couple of enemies. As the game goes on it lets you get your hands on a few more "fun" weapons.

To start the game, I wanted to use the Maul as much as possible, but this isn't particularly wise for 2 reasons, 1) On Insane difficulty, I don't think you're meant to and 2) After the first few "levels" the enemies like to jump around out of your reach, it's hard to hit an enemy with a Maul when they're on top of a pillar.

I spent most of my time (and killed most enemies) with the amazing Magnet gun, tag an object (like a Pillar) then tag the enemy and watch it fly into their face and squish them into mush, it's great fun!

The game handles really well, there are upgrades you can buy using Salvage that you find (Or once you have the upgrade, you can get this by killing the enemies), they upgrade a multitude of things, from health, damage done by your weapons and you can even get a "shell" that can reflect damage back at enemies.

To be honest, I'm not the best person at 3rd or even first person shooters, but playing this on Insane difficulty isn't really that challenging, sure I've died once or twice by being outnumbered and overwhelmed by the enemy, but their attacks are usually easy to dodge, and they are pretty simple to kill.

There are also two other game types to play, a (what seems to be standard these days) last stand type game, where you fight wave after wave of enemies, and also a game type called "Ruin", which gives you weapons and freedom to destroy as much as you can in the time limit given. There is a demo given with the game, but it's 400 MS points to unlock the full version (The download is 128kb, so the content is already on the disc, which I feel is a ripoff, but each to their own)

Overall, the game is good, better than most other releases at the moment (perhaps with the exception of LA Noire, but that's a whole different kettle of fish!)

Definitely worth a buy, should entertain you for a while (especially if your friends buy it, the last stand game is always fun to play)
on 8 November 2011
Being only £10s after a few months i was expecting that this game was not going to be great however i bought it because its predecessor (Red Faction: Guerrilla) was a fantastic game. It turned out that this was one of the best £10s i think i have ever spent! a very fun campaign because of the great weapons and abilitys you can use and a decent but a bit short storyline. However the best bit of the game in my opinion is the online where you can use all the best weapons from the campaign to annihilate hoards of aliens with other players :). The only bad aspects of this game are that you spend allot of time underground which makes allot of the levels feel the same and that there are none of the time challages etc that were on the previous red faction game, but a must buy for £10.