on 23 January 2014
Just arrived in time for my skiing holiday next month. Given that these goggles are for sale at Snow & rock for £200 , the discount is excellent. The goggles arrive fully boxed with spare persimmon lens, in a Oakley bag designed to hold both goggles and spare lens with a storage case as well.

As someone else mentioned, take the storage bag on he mountain with you and put the goggles in this if you are not using them to prevent scratches on the lens.

I have looked at these at Snow & Rock and had a long discussion with one o their specialists about the various brands and lens materials. These goggles are about as good as you can buy.

can't wait to use them
on 27 January 2014
These goggles may not be cheap by any stretch of the imagination, however I would still argue that they are good value for money. As someone who has been skiing pretty much since they have been able to walk I have been through a fair few pairs of goggles. Before this pair I have, with the exception of my previous pair, always used cheap £20-30 goggles which always did the job (but no more!). My previous pair were Dragon DX goggles, which I believe you can still purchase and these cost me £70 when I bought them about 4 years ago. These were okay, however I didn't feel that they really justified the price relative to the £30 ones.

This brings me to these Oakley Airbrake goggles, which with an RRP of £200 are anything but cheap (although I did snap them up here on Amazon for £140!). I suppose the main reason I was drawn to these particular goggles was the fast changing of goggle lenses. It really is as good as the adverts suggest. The ability to swap lenses without a worry in a gondola (or a chair if you don't mind getting cold hands!) is a revolution in ski googles, and I would wager that it will be on many goggles within 5 years. You really have to have a go at swapping the lenses yourself to appreciate how easy it is. On most goggles you have to (as I'm sure you realise) pry the frame apart to take a lens out, and then with the other lens you have to carefully line up the ridges and holes in order to get it in. This normally takes around 5 minutes. With the Airbrake you simply lift up a lever and push the lens to get it out; and to put a lens in you just slot the lens in on the left side and line the lens up, and then close the lever.

But isn't £100+ extra a bit much to spend on just one feature that simply makes changing lenses a bit easier? Yes, I would definitely agree. However these are not, to use a cliche, a one trick pony. They are sized as such that they will fit virtually any helmet perfectly, ensuring that there is never that awkward gap between the top of the goggles and the helmet (which as well as making you look a fool, also makes your forehead pretty chilly!). They also have bars on each side of the goggles, these are called outriggers and cause less pressure to be exerted on your face by the goggles - preventing any red lines on your face at lunch. It does this by putting the elastic band at such an angle that it pulls on the outriggers and slightly stretches the goggles out. Another common issue with ski goggles is that they slide around your helmet (or head/hat) while your skiing which quickly becomes irritating. Oakley have resolved this by putting very grippy lines of rubber (I think?) on the inside of the elastic strap, preventing any unwanted movement.

Also it should be noted that these goggles are aesthetically brilliant - just flashy enough to get a few jealous looks, but not at all pretentious and look subdued enough to be appropriate for any age bracket. They look especially amazing with the Jet black/fire iridium lens in, which creates a sort of rainbow effect on the lens and I was complimented on my goggles on many occasions on my last ski holiday in December.

Onto the more technical side, the goggles I bought came with the Jet Black/Fire Iridium lens and the Persimmon lens. The iridium lens has a light transmission of 18% I believe and the persimmon has 62% respectively. This makes the iridium lens ideal for sunny days, and the persimmon lens suitable for pretty mud everything else. I had a wide variety of weather on my latest trip, which was ideal to give the lenses a good test. Both lenses are excellent for what they were designed for, and it is perfectly fine to leave an iridium lens on all day on a sunny day (it's fine in the shade). However one thing I would say is that even the persimmon lens was struggling (as you would expect) in a whiteout I experienced over there, although I know that is the nature of the beast as it were, I have been told the 'high-intensity yellow' lens is the best for these conditions. You can purchase this lens from Oakley, however it is £60, making it somewhat of an investment. You could also purchase a set of Airbrake's which include the high-intensity yellow lenses. However I wouldn't really recommend this unless you are a serious skier who is prepared to ski all day no matter the conditions.

The only negative I have found with these goggles is that the lenses are extremely easily scratches - mine have a few small but visible scratches after 6 days of skiing. I also kept good care of them, not leaving on helmet etc. This problem is compounded by the £60 price tag of replacement lenses.

I wouldn't let this stop you buying these goggles though, I reckon they do just enough to justify the high price tag - which is saying something!
on 31 March 2013
Very comfortable. Nice choice of lenses. Make sure you get a cover the goggles if you wear them on top of the helmet as the Iridium scratches easily and is an expensive replacement.
on 4 May 2014
Loved these on my recent ski trip. Once I got the hang of how to treat these goggles they really performed. The first day I made the mistake of leaving them on top of my helmet during a wet snow storm. After that they were useless! They dried out quickly and the rest of the week they performed exceptionally. They didn't mist up, were really comfortable, and looked really cool!
The 2 lenses were really useful as we had varied weather, with both bright sun and cloud. The lenses were really easy to change and clean.
These are very large goggles. Beware if you are petite!
on 7 March 2014
Really like these goggles. Great optics and field of vision - Oakley make high quality products and this lives up to their reputation. Comes in decent carry case and second lense (easily fitted) for low visibility. Excellent price too, cannot complain. Used them a couple of weekends already and they've been great...also they look badass!
on 21 February 2015
These are admittedly my first ever set of ski goggles but i absolutly love them, they dont mist up, the'yre really comfy and i wore them for a week straight more less. Somethimes i forgot they were on my face!
on 13 December 2015
These goggles are mustard!! 2 lenses and the new quick change lense system is fantastic! If the light changes on the slopes it's a 30 second job . Can't rate them highly enough
on 24 February 2014
I've struggled with cheap goggles for years before investing serious money in these. Defiantely worth the extra expense and would recommend to anybody.
on 6 November 2015
Fantastic goggles. Very easy to change the lenses. This combination gives great visibility in all weathers. And they look stunning too!
on 25 September 2014
Accidentally came across this offer. Got both my sons a pair. Very happy with what was sent.