5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value and pleasantly surprised.
Published 21 months ago by tsbl2000

1.0 out of 5 stars Polaroid extension tubes for Nikon - disappointing
I bought these for all the usual reasons, and chose them over the Kenko because they're much cheaper. Unfortunately they didn't work at all! They simply wouldn't "click" into place, which meant that the camera kept thinking that there was no lens fitted.
I thought it might have been the camera - a new D5100 - but they didn't work with my old D40x either.
I sent...
Published on 27 Oct 2011 by L H Jaffey

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value and pleasantly surprised., 8 Nov 2012
tsbl2000 (East Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
I use a Nikon D700 and have been looking to play with macro again but cannot justify the cost of a Nikon Macro (micro) lens. The one I would want would be the 105mm F2.8 and at 600+ for new and 500 for used it is just too expensive. I therefore wondered if extension tubes may be the answer so I researched. I have a Kenco 2x teleconverter which I use on my 70-200mm F2.8 zoom and have been pleased with the Kenco's performance so, naturally, I looked at the Kenco extension tubes. At around 100 or so, give or take, they seemed to be a cheaper alternative, accepting there would be some compromises. I wished to steer clear of the real cheapos as there were too many horror stories re poor fitting jamming lenses etc. I want only to dabble in macro at the moment, not make it my main subject, but my equipment is expensive and I didn't want to make a costly mistake for the sake of 100 or so. However, whilst looking on Amazon I saw these Polaroid tubes and at a much cheaper price than the Nikon or even Kenco ones. The write ups varied a little but on the whole were positive. I took the plunge and ordered at 60 incl p&p.
Delivery was quick and the item was securely packed as normal for Amazon.
Whilst the construction of the tubes was not of Nikon standard they do have metal mounts and full electronic connectivity which was important for metering functionality and autofocus was also supported. Overall I was pleased and the tubes clicked reassuringly well into place. I had a little difficulty in the alignment when attaching to lenses/the camera body but soon worked this out OK.
So, what about the results. Well, extension tubes do not have glass in, but merely move the lens further from the camera's sensor meaning you can get closer to your subject than you could without. The quality of the image will be as good as your lenses and I have tried these with my 50mm F1.8, my 28-70mm F2.8 and my telephoto zoom mentioned above. I must say I was delighted and have some great macro shots of spiders/flowers etc and much closer (especially the spiders) than I could achieve with the lens alone. Metering works very well but the autofocus can hunt as there is much less light coming into the lens. I prefer manual focus for macro so this was not really a problem, although without some sort of ring flash or external lighting exposure times may be lengthened; OK for static subjects but not for quick moving insects, so please bear this in mind. Focus was very sharp at F22 (the maximum my lens would go to - a true macro will stop down to F32 or beyond) and even at F8 for some subjects but macro will have a very shallow depth of field in normal photography so be aware. I have some good handheld shots but a tripod with cable release, or your camera's self timer is normally recommended, for precise focus and to minimise camera shake, which can be a killer for macro.
To summarise then I am extremely pleased with this purchase. Quality is good, performance is good and all at a fraction of the cost of a true macro lens. At 200mm with all three tubes on I have some great pictures with superb detail that I simply wouldn't be able to achieve without, even with a good lens. The fact that you can mix and match, or stack the tubes and still retain connectivity is a huge bonus and enables me to achieve my desired result. Well done Polaroid and Amamzon. Now for a ring flash.......................

5.0 out of 5 stars Who needs Kenko?, 3 Dec 2011
P. Bellamy "Phil" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Polaroid Auto Focus DG Macro Extension Tube Set (13mm, 21mm, 31mm) For Canon Digital SLR Cameras (Electronics)
My Brother has a set of 120 Kenko tubes and he seemed very annoyed when I showed him these.

Half the price and just as good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good indeed, but you cant beat the physics of light., 19 Dec 2011
T Chappell (Gloucestershire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought these to go with a Nikon D80 and a Nikon 18-200 zoom. The fit of the tubes is spot on, no play in the connections, easy to release and certainly NOT giving any of the horror stories you hear about with cheap imports that you can't get off your camera.

Regarding the complaints other people make about similar tubes from a variety of manufacturers:

The electrical connections on these ones work perfectly, but your auto focus needs light in order to focus and this is where it gets tricky. When you get this close to a subject you're often working in near darkness or your own shadow (with a flash gun in my case) and so there is no normal SLR auto focus in the world that can cope with this. It is not a fault of the tubes, it's just the way auto focus works. You'll find quite quickly you find where the focal point is and leave the focus fixed, or are just doing very slight adjustment by hand, it's not hard (I'd never done manual focus before this, and I managed it fine).

Again, another comment you hear is about depth of field: this is purely a facet of shortening the focal distance. You can get around this by using a very high F number (f36) and additional light to compensate for stopping down the lens. Personally I used a couple of SB800 SpeedLights and treated my bugs like I would a model (main flash plus fill in flash) and it worked great. It's a bit of a fiddle getting the flash on to your subject when it is practically touching the glass, but not beyond the wit of man.

SO, the product is fine, nothing to worry about there, but be sure to accept the challenge with this type of product is not the fault of the tubes, but how light and lenses work.

I'd recommend these, particularly since at 60 they're a tiny fraction of the price of a proper macro lens (and the chances are you'll have good fun playing with them a handful of times but then they'll end up forgotten in the bottom of your kit bag!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't go more expensive - there's no need, 3 Sep 2011
Simon Radford "SGR" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
First let me say a word of praise for the suppliers - Smartshop UK. I requested express delivery as the next day was Saturday, and the tubes were here just before 8.30am. Everything arrived well packed and in good shape, but the well padded delivery box was way too large for the box with the tubes in.

These extension tubes are very well made and feel fairly weighty. They are made out of a black plastic similar to my Canon 60D camera (so they're going to be tough), but each tube in the set has a thick stainless plate screwed into the plastic body with brass screws on both the mounting points - unlike my kit lens (Canon EF-S 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS) which has a mounting point of moulded plastic. The rods that carry the signal through to the lens for AF and the aperture are firmly screwed in and gold plated (by the look).

The fit is tight but not too much - they fit in the camera body (and each other) as an EF fit (red dot) but accept EF-S fit for the lens. Each tube has a white square painted on the side to show where a lens with the EF-S fit is inserted and a red dot is engraved into the metal for EF fit lenses). The tubes, like the camera, have a locking pin to ensure the lens (or other tube) doesn't come off in use. There is a lever on the side of each tube to release the pin.

All electrical contacts appear to work fine. The stack of tubes is supplied with a body cap and an end lens cap so that dust doesn't accumulate in storage then dump on your sensor. There is a single sided A4 sheet of instructions - that's all you need. It gives some representative data for a 50mm standard lens, then gives the formula to work out each case for your lenses.

I mentioned that they felt weighty - well I weighed my kit lens = 199g and the extension tubes = 239g both without caps. The lens and the tube stack are just about the same height and diameter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine!, 2 Nov 2011
Amazon Customer (Beeston, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I previously had a 7.99 set of tubes. With an automated lens that means the aperture is wide open, and DOF for macro very small. I

've bought this set for the electrical contacts, because otherwise this is just a great big hole! It does allow autofocus (although because DOF is so shallow, manual is generally better) but more importantly allows aperture priority to be set, which means you can affect the depth.

Strangely, its almost easier to focus by changing the focal length on my zoom lens.

The build seems good, although the fit feels a little tight on my 7D

Happy with this: vastly cheaper than the Canon alternative

5.0 out of 5 stars Work Brilliantly, 21 Sep 2012
I have a Nikon D800 and use a Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f2.8G ED lens. I was keen to try my hand at macro photography and went ahead and bought this set. It was only when I was preparing to try the tubes that I noticed in my lens handbook that "BR-2A/BR-4 and all models of Auto Extension Ring PK, K Ring and Bellows focusing attacments are incompatible with this lens and other accessories may not be suitable".

I hadn't realised there were these different types but as this set had the letters DG in the name, I decided to give them a try. I checked the Kenko set and they also had DG in the title. It was with some trepidation though that I attached the 32mm tube to my camera and attached the lens. It all fitted together very nicely with reassuring clicks.

I was very gratified to find that both the metering and autofocus functions worked perfectly and I was quickly experimenting.

The product review had mentioned the product being compatible with the D700 so I assumed it would be compatible with the D800. It didn't mention anything about lens comapatiblity. Thankfully as it turned out, there wasn't a problem.
I'd highly recommend this set but check your lens handbook.

As for the cheaper sets, why spend hundreds if not thousands of pounds on camera and lenses and then risk connecting an extension tube that costs just a few pounds. A few horror stories about these cheaper tubes getting stuck was enough to put me off. At the same time, the Kenko set seemed a little overpriced. I'm glad I decided to go with the middle ground.

5.0 out of 5 stars if you are into macro photography, these are a must, 18 April 2012
I like these, they are great value and work extremely well, i have used the canon extenders which cost a fortune in comparison, why pay more? the build quality is fantastic and the AF works when the extension tubes are in use, i mainly use them with a Canon 1.4 50mm lens and a Canon EOS 450D

5.0 out of 5 stars Good features for the price, 17 July 2011
Full 8 pin lens electronic pass through ensures AF, VR and exposure control. Also includes screwdriver AF for body focussing lenses.Tried with newer G series 18-55 VR Nikkor lens and with old AF-D Sigma lens on a D-90 body. All operated as normal.

Bodies ABS(?) plastic (like many lenses and cameras), but all lens and body mount plates are metal.

No bad points so far. Very pleased with features, price, quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well engineered product, 8 Feb 2012
I do quite a lot of close up photography, and needed extension tubes through which autofocus and TTL metering worked. The Canon tubes at 12mm and 25 mm worked out at just under 200 for the two of them. On looking round I saw the Polaroid tubes were well reviewed, with one proviso, that they seemed quite tight fitting. I purchased a set of the Polaroid tubes, 13, 21, and 31 mm, and find them to be beautifully engineered, with no problem of fitting, either singly or in combination with each other.

I take many photos stopped down to F32, and have used both natural light with long exposures and flash, and exposures on the AV setting have been fine. I have used both Manual and Auto focus on the lens with no problems either.

Although the tubes are made of plastic, the metal end-plates fitted will I am sure, protect the rings from excess wear, and they seem very robust.

As far as I'm concerned these tubes seem to be a very good buy and exceptionally well made at a very reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 7 Nov 2011
i think that these are probably the cheapest extension tube set that you can use with auto focus,very well built and stylish,easy to mount and dismount and click solidly into place,my second macro using the tubes was put on autumn watch,they are absolutley awesome,each tube performs fantastic seperatly or stacked in auto focus mode,i couldn,t believe the quality for the price,100% recommend,.