Death Metal
Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£2.11

on 17 March 2012
A famous writer's daughter is kidnapped. The crazed kidnappers want him to finish a series of albums he has been producing under a different name. The albums have a dedicated fan following, some of whom seem to beleive that the lyrics predict a supernatural event. The book follows his attempts to get his daughter back, which weaving in the back story in a series of flash backs.

The book moves along at a brisk pace, and the author handles the interwining of present and past well. I felt it was worth the money charged, and would look for the author's work again.

The weaknesses for me were a slightly unconvincing relationship with the author's ex-wife, and an unresolved sub-plot about the meaning of the author's musical lyrics. I felt the book would have worked better if it had been longer, giving the author the chance to work out whether he really felt the musical lyrics had a supernatural element to them, or were simply the misinterpreted ramblings of a drugged mind.

I suspect an editor would have pushed the author to work on some of these elements. As it is, this is a decent, quick read - but the author seems capable of more.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Armand Rosamilia usually writes violent zombie gorefests, which are frankly not my favourite type of book. It was fortuitous then that I should happen upon this one in my "to be reviewed" heap, as it's not a zombie book. To be perfectly honest, it's not even horror as such, although it does feature the Satanic death metal music scene as a backdrop.

Daniel Cahill is a best-selling author of Fantasy novels. Until a few years ago, he lead a secret double life as the man behind a mysterious death metal band, DTC, who recorded seven CDs of a proposed ten CD cycle of albums, then quit.

Some of his fans believe his LSD fueled lyrics have a hidden occult message, and they want those last three albums. Somehow they have uncovered D.T.C.'s real identity. When his daughter is kidnapped, Daniel soon finds himself forced to record those final three CDs, or risk losing his child.

Armand Rosamilia is no literary genius, but then I'm sure he wouldn't claim to be. He is, however by no means a bad writer. If he has any weak points it's that some of this story seems a little rushed in places, as if the author is in a hurry to get to the good bits.

Despite those criticisms, it's a good read and has some nice twists and turns.

I hope the author expands his horizons beyond zombie fiction even more in the future. I suspect there's a sequel to this novella in the works already. In the meantime, I may just be tempted to try one of his zombie books.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again