Since I pre-ordered this, it arrived today on the release date as expected. The DVD comes together with a very cool T-shirt, amongst other extras, in a fantastic presentation tin.

Published on 14 Nov. 2011 by Sanz

3.0 out of 5 stars Special Edition T-shirt not worth it!
Tim Minchin is a genius and this DVD is among his greats, the Tin the DVD and Tshirt come is also very nice and of good quality.

The only bad thing i can say is that when i bought the 'special edition' i was expecting something 'special'.
Published on 17 Nov. 2011 by Lumann1

5.0 out of 5 stars Tim Minchin is a GENIUS... which is a mentally ill person with an audience, 14 Nov. 2011
Sanz (Lincoln, England) - See all my reviews

As usual, Tim is at his musically comedic best and the orchestra only add to the sheer awesomeness of this fantastic show. The show includes some tried and tested favourites such as 'Darkside', 'If I Didn't Have You' and 'Rock N Roll Nerd', along with a host of soon-to-be-favourites including 'Lullaby', 'The Fence' and 'Cont'.

Filmed at The Royal Albert Hall on the same day as the Royal wedding, the two (or was it 3?) standing ovations Tim received should tell you how well this show went down with the crowd. A combination of great stand-up, awesome songs and a stunning (not to mention perfect) orchestra, make this a superb addition to any Minchin fans collection. And if you're new to the wonder that is Tim Minchin, well where have you been? With an abundance of insight, satire and swearing this is definitely NOT for the easily offended. But if you're able to take life with a pinch of salt, and like your comedy slightly on the dark side, then you've come to the right place, coz Tim definitely has a darkside too...

Enjoy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Special Edition T-shirt not worth it!, 17 Nov. 2011

I feel the t shirt is a real let down, it is just a plain black t shirt with very dark writing on the back, which can hardly be seen unless looking close. The only other detail is the initials 'TM' on the sleeve. I expected more when paying the extra for the special edition version.

Don't get me wrong, the DVD is fantastic, and the tin it comes in is also very smart, i just feel that the t shirt doesn't do justice to the extra money paid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Piano virtuosity and intelligent comedy, 19 Nov. 2011
Chris White (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Despite the Blu-ray's similar cover art to the accompanying album (which I've also reviewed), they are different shows. Although from the same tour, the latter contains just the songs from a gig at the Manchester Arena whereas this is a complete concert at the Royal Albert Hall, recorded in April 2011.

The bonus here is that you also get to see Tim Minchin perform his unique style of stand-up in between the compositions. He tackles subjects that would cause other comedians to draw a line; however, he does it in an intelligent way that not only makes you laugh but also gives you food for thought afterwards.

Minchin employs his expletives creatively and none more so than in his f-word-laden "Pope Song", which (once you get past the opening tirade) makes a serious point about scandal within the Catholic Church. He indicates within its lyrics that there is a correlation between the amount of bad language and the anger he felt.

The Heritage Orchestra provides Minchin with the perfect platform for his virtuoso piano skills, particularly during his epic show-closer, "Dark Side". It allows him to play the instrument more freely instead of it being just his backing accompaniment and new arrangements enhance some of his older material.

From the start it's plain that the audience didn't quite know what to expect and initially seem a bit bemused at the unusual combination of taboo wordplay and dazzling musicality. At first there is polite applause but by the second half Minchin's won them over. They dance in the aisles, give him a standing ovation and during his final encore, the poignant "White Wine in the Sun", even applaud individual lines.

Through his undoubted talent and love of his craft, Tim Minchin has shown himself to be a musical comedy genius. This Blu-ray is a memento of a great night out and I wish I'd been there. The picture is first-rate; sound is DTS-HD 5.1 (select it from the menu beforehand, otherwise it defaults to 2.0 stereo). Bonus features include a couple of rehearsal featurettes and the animated version of Minchin's brilliant ten-minute beat poem, "Storm".

3.0 out of 5 stars Tim Minchin & the heritage orchestra DVD, 19 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Tim Minchin and The Heritage Orchestra - Live at The Royal Albert Hall [DVD] (DVD)
A tad disappointed in this DVD- please don't jump on me yet till I've finished. The Audio and video is excellent and Tim himself is untouchable. I just find the audience reaction a bit dead. The guys material is sublime and the orchestration superb, but I also have the CD of the same which was recorded at the Manchester arena and the set is the same, but the audience reaction is much better- you can actually hear them roaring in the aisles I can't understand if this is down to the mixing of the DVD at source of if the audience at the RAH are just a bit slow to reactand get in the swing of things?

I've also seen the original recording with the Sydney Symphony in Australia and it is by far the best concert, but it was only broadcast in Australia.

Tim is a genius- but I think this DVD lets the side down a bit and I would plump for the CD recording of the show in Manchester over the DVD from the Albert Hall if I had the choice again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Every one of the 5 star reviewers saw this show LIVE, 12 Dec. 2011
Be careful with this DVD. Every one of the reviewers who gave this DVD 5 stars saw the show live at some point, some even during the recording at the Royal Albert Hall. Seeing it person, I'm sure the audience reaction was amazing.

But the sound mix on this DVD is terrible! The audience reaction is so low in the mix, we could hardly hear it at all. Tim is very funny, and when I've seen him live, people are laughing and clapping through all the songs. On this DVD? Muted silence throughout. When he's talking between the songs, it sounds like he is delivering jokes to an empty aircraft hanger. We here the echoing room, why can't we hear the audience? When the music ends, I want to feel the energy of the audience, but get almost nothing. What's the point of a live DVD recording if the audience doesn't become part of the show?

I speak as someone who once worked as a sound mixer for a TV company, and my main job was recording live events and concerts for broadcast. To make sure it wasn't just the venue, I watched a whole BBC Proms concert, and no, the audience was perfectly audible.

The bad mix means I've only watched the first half so far. To make sure it doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the second half, I'm going to wait to see the material live in the future, or try to download a different recording of the Heritage Orchestra show. I gather there is a version from the Sydney Opera House, hopefully with a competent sound mixer.

On a positive note, I loved the new material. I just wish I could feel like I was watching it live, as that is the feeling I get when watching other Minchin DVDs and YouTube videos and the live albums I have on iTunes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 28 Mar. 2013
S. Davies (Berkhamsted, UK) - See all my reviews
Utterly hilarious as is all his work, and what an amazing venue.

If you are unsure about buying this, check some of the official shorts published on YouTube, then come back and buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ochestrated to perfection, 14 May 2011
I saw this show in Glasgow on 18 April 2011 and I loved it. Tim's comedy was risky as always - just the way I love it and the orchestra added a whole new dimention to his already brilliant music and even put their own stamp onto Tim's comedy as well. Having seen Tim before I knew what to expect but I never thought that adding an orchestra would add so much to Tim's style without taking the focus from him.

For those new to him Tim's comedy is not for the easily offended but those who with an open mind that like their comedy with a twist (being music) this is for them. If you are already a fan of Tim then sit back and enjoy and allow yourself to be swept away in a symphony of musical and comedy brilliance that is Tim Minchin with The Heritage Orchestra

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant, 30 April 2011
Miss R. Buck "Cloud 9" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
I was lucky enough to be right near the front for the live show of this DVD (28/04/11) and it was just amazing! Being a fairly new fan of Tim Minchin, I didn't really know what to expect but with the orchestra accompanying him, Tim completely blew me away. I don't think i've laughed so hard at live comedy before, and I was surprised at what a talented musician and singer Tim is as well, I really wasn't expecting it! I can't wait for the DVD to come out so I can relive it all again :D

5.0 out of 5 stars The man's a genious, 29 April 2011
Well, technically I have already seen this DVD, from Grand Tier 9 seat 1. I went to see Tim in the Royal Albert Hall last night (28/04/11) with the Heritage Orchestra and it really was something brilliant. We were all told last night, after a lot of people began to notice the cameras, that this performance was being filmed for Tim's next DVD before he was even on stage. Tim played some new songs along with some of his real best stuff, and Tim's songs sound amazing anyway but with the amazing orchestra sat behind him it was spectacular. They complimented each other in a wonderful way. For me the songs that stuck in my head the most was You Grew On Me, which is my favourite of Tim's anyway, as with the orchestra is was really epic nearing the end, and Lulluby which is a new one and really isn't one for people who have babies haha! But EVERY song he sang last night I was in love with, which I'm glad because I felt his last DVD, Ready For This, was just lacking something that I cant point my finger to.

I could go on all day about how brilliant Tim and the Orchestra was last night, and its a shame that I have to wait until November to see it again! Your in for a real treat when you finally get your hands on this DVD!

4.0 out of 5 stars its alright, 31 Dec. 2011
I was not lucky enough to see Tim Minchin live (dam university) so I was really looking forward to seeing this DVD. He is extremely funny, and his songs are amazing, but some of the atmosphere is lost because you cant hear the audiences reaction. I know that you cant get the true atmosphere of a stand up show from a DVD, but hearing the audience reaction helps, its means your laughing with people (ok their tv people) but its better then on your own. Having said that, Tim Minchin is at his best, I was slightly disappointed, but it was with the sound mix, never with him.
And since I've re-watched several times, I can highly recommend it.