on 6 October 2011
This is an absolutely unbelievable price for such a fabulous set, featuring two of the better less-celebrated albums from the classic prog era. Apart from a brief reunion in 2000 minus key member Dave Lawson, Greenslade only existed for the two years from 1973-75 but in that time recorded no fewer than four albums.

Undoubtedly the best of these was the quite phenomenal BEDSIDE MANNERS ARE EXTRA, the second disc on this set, which for my money has to be one of the greatest prog rock albums ever made. From start to finish, it's a joy to behold, with at least three killer tracks and no fillers. With two keyboard virtuosos in the band in Lawson and Dave Greenslade (at the expense of guitar - well, ELP didn't need one, did they), there is continual breathtaking interplay held down by melodic, jazz-inflected bass and solid, inventive drumming from the great Tony Reeves and Andy McCulloch respectively. Lawson's vocals may not be the strongest in the field but they have their own appeal and fit the music superbly, giving the band a distinctive overall flavour.

The first disc, the eponymous debut, doesn't quite reach the heights of BEDSIDE MANNERS but is nevertheless a fine piece in its own right. I see it more as work-in-progress for the latter with hints of the great things to follow, though it is definitely enjoyable and worthy of continual listening. Played back to back, you can't go wrong.

If you missed these albums first time around, here's a great chance to catch up in a convenient 2CD format - for that price I'd be tempted to buy it myself if I didn't already own at least two copies of each album! Try it, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
on 14 July 2011
I hadn't heard Greenslade since I was a kid; until one day I remembered them on YouTube and then knew I had to get an album. The fact that there are two albums in one is just ridiculously good value. Thanks whoever put them together - I didn't have to choose which album to buy. What did I do with the £ I saved? - I bought the other double CD of Greenslade. Absolutely great!

The one downside is that I can only play them in the car as my girlfriend and her daughter can't stand them. Good job I like driving!
on 12 April 2012
I was delighted to find this double CD on Amazon containing the first two Greenslade albums. I still have the vinyl versions with their full scale Roger Dean paintings. The format may have changed but the music is still as good as ever with Dave Greenslade and Dave Lawson on keyboards, Tony Reeves from Jon Hiseman's Colosseum on bass and Andrew McCulloch from King Crimson on drums. Their jazz heritage shines through on the instrumentals such as 'Melange' and 'Sundance' and the twin keyboards add a rich texture to all the songs. Highly recommended.
on 14 June 2011
Two superb albums from this original and powerful band. Skilled musicianship from all 4 members combines with fresh, challenging but still very accessible material.

But then I would say that.....
1111 comments|14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 April 2013
I had the pleasure to see Greenslade live a couple of times back in the day. I am now revisiting my youth, and replacing the gaps in my collection, usually were the vinyl has long gone missing.(Left at partys', lent to a mate etc).These 2 albums sound slightly dated now,but are still musically masterful. I heard other 'slade stuff at the time, but always thought these the standout recordings, and still do.
on 8 January 2016
Progressive rock does not get much better than this. What is great is this sounds just like my vinyl does. I love English western. I have been listening to this band for decades. Just goes to show if you make classic albums you do not tinker with them to give them a modern sound as you just trash a classic. These albums are classic Greenslade.
on 22 July 2015
Never trully inovative, Greenslade makes an exquisite offer with a line-up of two keyboards, bass and drums. The vocal section is an acquired taste but who cares if these pieces are full of beautiful Tron passages? These are their best albums. If you like classic prog you can't go wrong with these beauties.
on 1 November 2012
Having owned the original records I'd forgotten all about this artist. To buy the first 2 albums at this low price was too good an offer to ignore. Music is dated but it does take you back there.
on 22 November 2011
Greenslade took a different approach to other groups, no long guitar solos, no charismatic lead singer, but two keyboard players and a tight rythmn section. These first two LPs now on CD show what a refreshing change it made. No noodling along in outre time signatures but jazz and blues based excursions. Given the primitive state of synthesisers compared with today it is a pretty good sound, but serious rockers will miss the guitars.
on 30 April 2016
Love this reminds me of my misspent youth. Promt delivery.