5.0 out of 5 stars Two to catch up on - at a snip!
This is an absolutely unbelievable price for such a fabulous set, featuring two of the better less-celebrated albums from the classic prog era. Apart from a brief reunion in 2000 minus key member Dave Lawson, Greenslade only existed for the two years from 1973-75 but in that time recorded no fewer than four albums.

Undoubtedly the best of these was the quite...
Published on 6 Oct 2011 by Martin

1.0 out of 5 stars Prog Rock?
I first came across Greenslade many years ago (on LP ) largely due the Roger Dean covers, I thought then that the music was ok if a little lacking in bite and punch due to the lack of guitar. I recently came across this double CD and I thought why not try the CD as it was at a good price.

On listening to the music, I found that the music was even worse than I...
Published on 16 Sep 2011 by Dr. Jon. Heels

5.0 out of 5 stars Two to catch up on - at a snip!, 6 Oct 2011
This review is from: Greenslade & Bedside Manners Are Extra (Audio CD)

Undoubtedly the best of these was the quite phenomenal BEDSIDE MANNERS ARE EXTRA, the second disc on this set, which for my money has to be one of the greatest prog rock albums ever made. From start to finish, it's a joy to behold, with at least three killer tracks and no fillers. With two keyboard virtuosos in the band in Lawson and Dave Greenslade (at the expense of guitar - well, ELP didn't need one, did they), there is continual breathtaking interplay held down by melodic, jazz-inflected bass and solid, inventive drumming from the great Tony Reeves and Andy McCulloch respectively. Lawson's vocals may not be the strongest in the field but they have their own appeal and fit the music superbly, giving the band a distinctive overall flavour.

The first disc, the eponymous debut, doesn't quite reach the heights of BEDSIDE MANNERS but is nevertheless a fine piece in its own right. I see it more as work-in-progress for the latter with hints of the great things to follow, though it is definitely enjoyable and worthy of continual listening. Played back to back, you can't go wrong.

If you missed these albums first time around, here's a great chance to catch up in a convenient 2CD format - for that price I'd be tempted to buy it myself if I didn't already own at least two copies of each album! Try it, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes you back doesn't it? Good value for , 14 July 2011
This review is from: Greenslade & Bedside Manners Are Extra (Audio CD)
I hadn't heard Greenslade since I was a kid; until one day I remembered them on YouTube and then knew I had to get an album. The fact that there are two albums in one is just ridiculously good value. Thanks whoever put them together - I didn't have to choose which album to buy. What did I do with the I saved? - I bought the other double CD of Greenslade. Absolutely great!

The one downside is that I can only play them in the car as my girlfriend and her daughter can't stand them. Good job I like driving!

5.0 out of 5 stars Prog-Rock at it's best, 14 Jun 2011
This review is from: Greenslade & Bedside Manners Are Extra (Audio CD)
Two superb albums from this original and powerful band. Skilled musicianship from all 4 members combines with fresh, challenging but still very accessible material.

But then I would say that.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Their best 2 discs in 1 package., 10 April 2013
Geoffrey Phipps "Gokart Mozart" (East midlands,GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greenslade & Bedside Manners Are Extra (Audio CD)
I had the pleasure to see Greenslade live a couple of times back in the day. I am now revisiting my youth, and replacing the gaps in my collection, usually were the vinyl has long gone missing.(Left at partys', lent to a mate etc).These 2 albums sound slightly dated now,but are still musically masterful. I heard other 'slade stuff at the time, but always thought these the standout recordings, and still do.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, 1 Nov 2012
This review is from: Greenslade & Bedside Manners Are Extra (Audio CD)
Having owned the original records I'd forgotten all about this artist. To buy the first 2 albums at this low price was too good an offer to ignore. Music is dated but it does take you back there.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fine Pair, 12 April 2012
This review is from: Greenslade & Bedside Manners Are Extra (Audio CD)
I was delighted to find this double CD on Amazon containing the first two Greenslade albums. I still have the vinyl versions with their full scale Roger Dean paintings. The format may have changed but the music is still as good as ever with Dave Greenslade and Dave Lawson on keyboards, Tony Reeves from Jon Hiseman's Colosseum on bass and Andrew McCulloch from King Crimson on drums. Their jazz heritage shines through on the instrumentals such as 'Melange' and 'Sundance' and the twin keyboards add a rich texture to all the songs. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars another side of prog, 22 Nov 2011
This review is from: Greenslade & Bedside Manners Are Extra (Audio CD)
Greenslade took a different approach to other groups, no long guitar solos, no charismatic lead singer, but two keyboard players and a tight rythmn section. These first two LPs now on CD show what a refreshing change it made. No noodling along in outre time signatures but jazz and blues based excursions. Given the primitive state of synthesisers compared with today it is a pretty good sound, but serious rockers will miss the guitars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Prog Rock?, 16 Sep 2011
This review is from: Greenslade & Bedside Manners Are Extra (Audio CD)

On listening to the music, I found that the music was even worse than I remembered, with poor vocals. I did not enjoy the the CD at all. I still like prog rock after 30+ years, but sadly this music explains why Greenslade never made much of an impression on the 70's music scene.

Greenslade & Bedside Manners Are Extra
Greenslade & Bedside Manners Are Extra by Greenslade (Audio CD - 2011)