5.0 out of 5 stars A 'must have' for all lovers of Scandinavia and beyond, 26 May 2011
This review is from: Beginner's Guide to Scandinavia (Audio CD)
Scandinavia has always been a land of dreams for me. Not for nothing has Midsummer's Night acquired such a mythical significance for its people. In my youth, I dreamed of living in Sweden, and now I am transported there through this superb compilation. Cornelis Vreeswijk remains my all-time favourite; little wonder that this adopted son of Sweden has become such a cult figure. Other highlights include Benny Andersson of ABBA, Esbjorn Svensson Trio, Ane Brun, Eivor, Gjermund Larsen, and particularly Wimme, whose shamanic joik chantings provide the perfect backdrop to my Nietzsche studies.

This compilation is a real 'must have' for all lovers of Scandinavia. However, I feel it reaches out beyond Scandinavia and would appeal to everyone who enjoys high quality music - be it folk, pop, jazz or experimental. A collection of thoughtfully selected and well sequenced tracks (39 of them!). And all at such an unbelievable price!

5.0 out of 5 stars A compilation that steps out of the groove, 30 May 2011
This review is from: Beginner's Guide to Scandinavia (Audio CD)
I bought this compilation because I was curious. I wasn't expecting it to be this good however. While many compilation albums generally get stuck in one groove, this one steps right out of it. There are 3 CDs - Pop & Contemporary, Folk & Roots and Jazz, Experimental & Atmospheres. Each of them boasts such a variety, and often the styles subtly merge.

One of my favourite pieces is Eivør Pálsdóttir's live version of "Mín Móðir", which is much better than the studio version in my opinion. Truly breathtaking! Other favourites are Kiila, Hedningarna, Annbjørg Lien, Kari Bremnes, Lars Demian, Kimmo Pohjonen, Wimme and Agnar Már Magnússon.

I fully recommend this comp to anyone who wants to check out top quality non-Anglophone music (and some excellent English tracks too!). It also inspired me to investigate numerous artists who sound so enticing but whom I'd never heard of before.

The music on this compilation is alive and organic: it seems like I'm listening in 3D.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music to my ears., 1 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Beginner's Guide to Scandinavia (Audio CD)
Im not Scandnavian but enjoy the old instruments so 2 out of 3 cds were no use to me. Made me feel a viking.

Beginner's Guide to Scandinavia
Beginner's Guide to Scandinavia by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2011)