5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, buy it now!
Published on 16 Oct 2011 by Kickpuncher Miami

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing over-rated comedy
I never saw this on tv as it was shown on satellite tv , for which I won't pay $ky-high prices to subscribe to. I bought this as something of a blind buy, having only read the other reviews which rate it highly, and I'm also a fan of ed o neill,s past comedy classic tv show married with children. As well as comedy series in general.

Anyway having forced myself...
Published on 21 Oct 2011 by Dwight K Schrute

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, buy it now!, 16 Oct 2011
This review is from: Modern Family - Season 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
Fox have scored a solid gold smash with this series. What on first glance looks to be a rather generic family sitcom soon reveals itself as a laugh out loud comedy masterclass. Not since the classic early era of The Simpsons have we been treated to a show that will appeal to seasoned comedy fans every bit as much as the more casual viewer. It's about as broad as it's possible to get, but is one of the tightest, most sharply written shows I've seen - very reminiscent of the excellent Arrested Development in it's style - handheld camerawork combined with relentless, rapid fire gags and top notch verbal and physical comedy, with several running jokes that just get funnier every time. But unlike AD, Modern family doesn't have a mean-spirited or cynical bone in it's body, all the more impressive in my opinion.

There isn't a weak link in the ensemble cast, with every single character having plenty of time to shine, and the interaction between them is always perfectly pitched. It's hard to pick favourites, but I tend to especially enjoy the episodes centred around the vivacious, sassy Gloria and her older, endearingly cantankerous husband Jay, and while it took me a little longer to truly warm to him, the perennially optimistic, lovably childlike Phil is also a winner.

While the show as a whole is never less than entertaining, there are inevitably some episodes that are stronger than others. A few of them fall a little flat, and raise a smile rather than a laugh, but there's always a stone cold classic a couple of episodes later, such as the superb Hawaii vacation two parter, or the episode centred around the family portrait which closes season one.

It's also admirable how the show always undercuts it's sentimental moments (of which there are many) with a bit of well-judged humour, which prevents things from becoming too trite or saccharine.

Overall I can't recommend it highly enough, if you're umm-ing and ahh-ing over whether or not to buy, I say go for it, you won't regret it! My girlfriend and I caught a few episodes while abroad, and bought the series 1&2 set as soon as we got home, and I know it's one we'll return to again and again. I'll certainly be buying a few extra sets for gifts this Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 26 Feb 2012
This review is from: Modern Family - Season 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
Received this set as a surprise birthday present. Had never seen the show, nor even heard of it previously, however, I am now a big fan. The writing is excellent and the execution of it superb. It is genuinely laugh-out-loud funny (and you don't often get that). It also benefits from further viewings as there are frequently gags that are missed on first viewing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should own and watch these DVDs!, 21 Feb 2012
This review is from: Modern Family - Season 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
The funniest thing I have ever seen on TV, owning a box set is perfect as you will want to keep watching episode after episode!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with purchase, 9 Jan 2012
This review is from: Modern Family - Season 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this DVD set as a Xmas present for my boyfriend. He loved it, we have both watched about a quarter of the episodes. Very easy watching, all characters are hilarious. Can be enjoyed by a wide variety of ages from 8 - 80

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING VALUE, 3 Nov 2011
This review is from: Modern Family - Season 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
wow this series is amazing, it has witty humour in it and tackles with all issues faced by all family members. Type of comedy you can watch over and over again and it is a good value this two in one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A winner all the way :o)), 4 Nov 2012
Sue Kichenside - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Modern Family - Season 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
Modern Family joins the hallowed ranks of glorious US sit-com imports from I Love Lucy and Dick van Dyke through to Rhoda, Mash, Roseanne, Cheers, Friends and Frasier that have given us such pleasure over the years.

The superb ensemble cast delivers great lines, great laughs and great timing. And they have been given countless well-deserved Emmys in recognition of their talent.

I'm not saying we don't do sit-coms well in Britain - we do. It's just that we do it differently, that's all. The US sense of pace is quicker, the lines are slicker and their editing is so sharp.

If you haven't discovered Modern Family yet, give yourself a real treat and get the DVD. I defy anyone not to enjoy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dumb and Dumber, 20 Sep 2012
This review is from: Modern Family - Season 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
Dumb-ass parents being run-ragged by smart-ass kids is one of the keystones of this, and if you mention the other character-types and plot devices (divorce, remarriage, gay relationship, adopted child, older husband/much younger wife, over-weight Hispanic boy, ADHD, etc, etc) then it just sounds like a check-list of cliches. It isn't. It's smart, VERY funny and now the only programme in our household that our smart-ass kids will watch with their dumb-ass parents. We can't wait for Series 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!!, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Modern Family - Season 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
If you haven't watched Modern Family you really do not know what you are missing. From the pilot in episode one all the way through absolutely brilliant and harmless family comedy. Characters are all so strong and the 'to camera' pieces so make it. My family are hooked and we have already watched both of these first 2 series three times! Truly brilliant!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant characters and clever script - best sitcom in years!, 3 Nov 2011
This review is from: Modern Family - Season 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
The characters in this show are so defined and really loveable. The more you watch it, the more they grow on you. As you get to know each of them, the episodes become even funnier. The script is very clever and witty, and there are some genuine side-splitting laughs. I have not enjoyed a sitcom as much as this since the early years of Friends. Brilliant show, I hope it continues for years at the same quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Two Seasons!, 18 Oct 2011
Having already watched Modern Family on Sky One over the past few months, i have already seen most of the episodes. I really like the way there is no story arc throughout the seasons. You can easily switch to your favourite episode from the pop-up menu and just pop the disc in and it will start. I havent seen this feature in any other DVD/Blu-ray recently. The extras on the discs are OK, but somehow i;ve got the feeling that there is a lot more that the makers could supply. This may be something that they are holding back!
It is a programme that can be enjoyed by all!

Modern Family - Season 1-2 [DVD]
Modern Family - Season 1-2 [DVD] by Ed O'Neill (DVD - 2011)
9.99