Format: DVD|Change

VINE VOICEon 28 September 2008
Prison Break series 1 was one of the most original television series I have seen. Season 2 tended to stretch the imagination a little bit, and so I didn't expect much from series 3. Due to the writer's strike this season is much shorter, but I think this really works in PB's favour. Because we are treated to 22 normal episodes squeezed into just 13 episodes, the action is fast and the plot is constantly evolving at high speed. It makes for very exciting viewing.
For me, William Fichtner (Mahone) and Wade Williams (Bellick) steal the series and both play superb roles, each having their own personal struggles.
Sadly I feel this series falls short because it leaves you asking huge questions from a very early point. For example, my nagging thought was "'The Company' had such influence and power over everything in Series 1, so why couldn't they just get Whistler out by pulling the usual strings?". It was also pretty disappointing to finally realise who's side he was on. Of course getting him out the easy way would make for boring viewing, but you have to wonder whether the plot gets a little too thin in places?
Either way, I did enjoy this series and the fantastic way in which each character evolved in yet a new and fresh direction. Also it was great to see Scofield in the last episode showing his true strengths - I'm looking forward to Series 4...!
on 4 July 2008
When you look at the intelligence and the quality of the first Season and the pace and the depth of the second, what was missing was the dark and gritty side and Season 3 has that in all 13 episodes. It is more dark, we see the violent side of Michael Scofield and the emotional side instead of his clam persona. The setting is scary, brutal and an image of hell. Sona is without a doubt, the scariest prison you will ever come across. The inmates run the yard, people die and nobody comes out alive. The writers were really clever with Sona, it is the setting that we get to see Michael's different side. The side where he is not only brains but aggressive. I think the star of the 3rd Season is Alex Mahone's character. He has become more important as the show goes on and the newfound respect he finds with Michael is great for the show. With the sweaty and heated feel of Panama and the dark, rainy, hot and brutal reality of Sona.........this Season is brilliant and is the best of the lot in my view.
on 13 August 2008
The starting point of the original series was that a structural engineer was going to break his death row brother out of prison by getting sent to prison himself and then using his tatoos, and his work helping the prison governor construct a matchstick model of the Taj Mahal, to tunnel out of a maximum security prison and get to Panama. Naturally, the brother was the victim of a vast conspiracy on the part of the shadowy forces controlling America, a conspiracy which boiled down to giving the vice president's brother a nice house and a set of false teeth.

So far, so not exactly cinema verite.

Some viewers have obviously felt that season 3 was stretching the plausibility of the story. This doesn't do justice to the wild implausibility of what has come before. The plot of Prison Break is total gibbering nonsense from start to finish. Season 3 is as silly as seasons 1 and 2. It's absolutely brilliant.

If you want a serious, thoughtful attempt to capture the complex, ambiguous relationship between criminal and governmental structures, watch the Wire; personally, I watch Prison Break because it's nonsense on stilts, but nonsense with a completely addictive narrative drive, played out by a fantastic set of character actors.

If you took seasons 1 and 2 for what they were - the best fun on TV - then season 3 won't disappoint you.
on 3 June 2008
I'm crazy about Prison Break - watched it when it was on Channel Five but didn't get to see it on Sky so eagerly awaited the release on this DVD!

It's only 13 episodes because of the writers strike which is a shame but they've done a good job of compressing the story into the 13 episodes.

I don't want to spoil it so all I will say is that the plot is really clever - not as good as Season One and I was slightly dissapointed whilst watching the first 3 or 4 episodes but after the slow start the action builds up and the story starts to unfold even more - it's amazing and keeps you on the edge of your seat just like Seasons One and Two did.

I gave this to my girlfriend to borrow afterwards and she loves it too. Highly recommended to anyone who loved the first two episodes - just give it chance.

If you are a TRUE fan of Prison Break you will love this even if it is not as good as the first two seasons - just. Season Four promises to be 22 episodes and somebody is returning...
on 1 September 2011
Excellent series. Loved every minute of this set. So much so I was compelled to buy the remaining series as well. We had a Prison Break marathon and didn't want it to end. I am not going to ruin it buy giving you plot out-lines etc except to say, action packed, on the edge of your seat stuff with plenty of eye candy for the ladies!! Well worth the purchase!!
on 25 August 2008
This was as good as one and two but it was really short which was a real shame only 13 parts in total. It kept you on the edge of your seat from the word go and was dark and gritty in places. The main actors did a brillant job as always for me Ballick and more so Alex to the acting honours this time around he was outstanding. In all a very good effort all round I am looking forward to seeing the next season I hope it carrys on from where this left off because this is wide open for a another great story line. If I am honest this is better than 24 and that's coming from a die hard 24 fan so it must be worth watching.
on 23 March 2008
Prison Break is one of the best shows ever, and the first two seasons prove it. The third season will slightly dissappoint at the beggining, but later on it becomes much better and more in the spirit of Prison Break.

This season has Michael Schfield, Brad Bellick, FBI Agent Alex Mahone and T-Bag incarcerated in Sona, a hellish Panamanian prison, with no gaurds, no order and no chance of escape. I don't want to spoil why, but Michael is forced to try and break out another inmate, James Whistler. This will only be possible if he forges alliances with other inmates, and his brother, Licoln Burrows. Through out the season, you will see Lincoln do seemingly random tasks, which you only understand later on as they escape plan unfolds.

The only things I can find wrong with this season, is that due to the writers strike there are only 13 episodes instead of 22. Also, it would have been much better if they kept up the pace from the second season at the beginning of this one.

Overall, I think that Season 3 of Prison Break is worth it, even if it does very slightly dissapoint. The good news is that Season 4 will be a full season with 22 episodes, and the return of one of the most loved characters in the series.
on 20 May 2008
I have read reviews by people saying that season 2 and 3 are rubbish, I can not understand this, they are all amazing and season 3 it as great. There is a whole new look on things, it is not a complete copy of season 1 as some people have stated, there are new problems to be faced and more intimidating characters.

Ok there are a few things that could have been done a lot better, I am not going to spoil it by revealing these but I think when you watch it you will see what I mean.

Overall season 3 is definitely worth buying, it follows on nicely from season 2 and I would recommend it.
on 19 May 2008
Just finished watching Disk 2, so far it does seem really slow compared to the past series so am hoping it will pick up soon. I think the writers has done so well keeping this series going I really can't get enough of it.
In Season 3 this time its Michael inside and Linc outside the prison which is a really big twist in the story line. It also introduces new characters which is a nice and fresh change also keeping you updated on the old characters (Well what's left of them ha ha ) lives.

If you already have the past series pick it up, you won't be disappointed but it isn't as good as the first two. If you haven't seen Prison Break, where have you been!!!! I highly suggest picking up Season 1 and watching it!!!.
on 22 April 2008
Firstly, I love the format of Prison break - the way you never know where its going to go and what can happen next. Thats the beauty of the whole show. The fact that the story takes you to a Panama Prison is awesome. The fact that this seaon is shorter is a bit of a pain, but they still managed to give a full rounded feel to the season, without feeling like anything had been missed. It makes me laugh that some mark it dowmn for that, as everybody in the world new about the wirters strike, and there was NOTHING the creators could do about that. They made the best of it and it worked. Some say its too much like the first season. Well if you watch a show called 'Prison Break' its pretty bloody obvious that it will revolve around a prison and an escape. If thats not what you want to watch, my watch a show of that name!?!?!?! What did you expect? I think it was good, with a winning format and they did well considering the strike. Im looking forward to the next season..........