Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Before you even plug it in, the first impressions you get whilst unpacking your new Philips Fidelio Speaker dock are all excellent. I wanted my Fidelio for travelling, so it's great to see a variable voltage adapter with an interchangeable UK and European head. It's also great to see a neoprene travel sleeve for not only the speaker, but the accessories too. Even the unit itself is not as big as I thought it was going to be. In fact when it's in its neoprene sleeve it takes up no more space than a pair of flip-flops (about 30CM long, 11.5CM wide and 3.5CM deep). I was really impressed with how solid the unit is too. There's nothing to me that feels flimsy, or that I would worry about breaking when I'm travelling.

Overall the sound quality from the Fidelio is excellent - especially when you consider this is a small speaker designed for travelling. It amazes me how far small speaker technology seems to have come in the last few years, and Philips certainly seemed to have crammed a lot of that technology into this unit. If I'm being really picky the bass can actually be a little too booming at times, but it depends on what music you're listening too. I'm currently listening to The Crimson Wing by The Cinematic Orchestra (which is a fairly orchestral piece of music) and it sounds fantastic. The sound is rich and detailed and the stereo is wide and clear.

The Fidelio can be powered by the mains or by 4x AA batteries. I haven't got a handle on how long the AA batteries last you, but they seem to be holding out pretty well. There's an Apple dock at the front of the speaker and a standard 3.5mm jack socket at the back - a male to male 3.5mm jack is supplied for non-Apple MP3 players. The Apple dock has a bit of flex on it and I found it easy to dock both my iPod Nano and iPod Touch WITHOUT having to remove their stay on cases. Compatibility in the brief user guide is listed as iPod Touch (1G, 2G, 3G) iPhone, iPhone 3G/3GS, iPhone 4 and iPod Nano (1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G). iPad is NOT supported. As you might expect, if you plug your compatible Apple device into the dock on the front, the Fidelio charges as well as plays your music. The only additional controls the Fidelio has are on the top right of the unit. There is no remote control - which I was momentarily disappointed about. You have an on and off switch, volume control and a DBS button. DBS gives you a kick of extra base at low volume.

When I first plugged my iPod Touch in, it invited me to install a Philips Fidelio app - which I went ahead and did. The app only gets two stars on the app store but I didn't really have any problems with it. The best part of the app is the internet radio browser, powered by tune in radio which allows you to quickly and easily browse internet radio stations by genre. There is also a weather page, links to social networking and a clock radio feature. People on the app store seemed to think the clock radio wasn't too reliable. I tried it once and it worked, but to be honest it's not what I got the product for. One handy feature of the app, which was greyed out and I couldn't get to work, was the facility to tell the dock not to charge your Apple device when you connect it. Perhaps they'll get it working in an update.

Overall then, the Philips Fidelio is a REALLY nice and stylish travel speaker with some good accessories supplied in the box. I've had a few travel speakers in my iPod career, but never one that came near to delivering the sound quality of this little unit. Reccomended.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When you first see the product with your own eyes I guarantee there will be no doubt in your mind whether it's going to be a good product, just the look of it tells you it means business and that it's going to deliver some quality sound waves too your ears.

Well, I can safely tell you that the sound it delivered blew my socks off into another dimension.

The docking station is either powered up between the supplied mains plug (comes with a UK & EU adapter), or by using four 'AA' batteries(not provided) which you can insert at the back of the dock by sliding the panel underneath the stand to the right-hand side.

I know these speakers are advertised as iPod docks, however it has an "MP3" slot at the back which you can connect too ANY audio device with a headphone slot by using the supplied double 3.5mm jack lead. I have actually connected my TV up to this speaker and I must say the quality was top-notch, playing games with the Sub boost flicked on was amazing.

The iPod docking port is pretty much compatible with every apple iPod device, be it the iPod touch, or from 1G all the way up to the most current 'G', you can also use your iPhone where it will then suggest you should download a certain application, but you don't actually need this so if you don't want to download it, just press "no"/"cancel", playing your songs through the dock will also charge your battery (I think this only happens when plugged into the mains, but is still convenient nevertheless).

Overall I cannot fault this product, it has to get top stars from me.

*Video reference*:
First song featured: Far Away by Nickelback from album; All The Right Reasons
Second featured song: Down Down Down by Charlie Simpson from album; Young Pilgrim
66 comments|35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
First impression from the box is that this speaker is just too small too pack any punches........ But I was quickly proved wrong...!

The speaker comes housed in it's own neoprene travel sleeve ( which also houses the U.K.aAnd European two pin mains adaptor). There's also a jack plug lead included to enable none iPod / iPad devices to be able to connect to the speaker..

On top of the unit are three buttons - the on/ off switch, the volume control and the bass boost button. A discrete red light comes on behind the speaker grill to indicate the unit is powered on. 4 AA batteries can be fitted for full portability meaning the unit isn't house bound.

I initially tested the unit using an iPhone 4. On initial connection I was prompted to download the Fidelio app which I duly did. This app comes with the fabulous 'Tune In' radio as part of it's abilities - giving you wifi or 3G access to over 7,000 global radio stations. It also allows you to access weather forecasts and has an alarm function. In addition you're also able to control playback of your music without having to open up the iPod function on your device.

Music playback from the iPhone 4 was impressive. The bass was tight and punchy, vocals were clear and rich and at maximum volume there was no hint of any distortion. But the speaker really came into its own when an iPad 2 was connected. Unlike the iPhone, the iPad 2 does not come with the ultra restrictive E.U. Volume limitation ( a law enforced by Brussels to protect our hearing by capping the volume level on some devices). This meant that the sound from the iPad 2 was way more impressive. Using the iPad 2 gave the speaker the opportunity to deliver a truly meaty and powerful sound, and for its small size - an amazing sound.

After using this speaker for a little over an hour I was hooked; loved it to bits and made me want to hear what the more expensive models in the Fidelio line sound like.

So, my conclusion is - buy this speaker without hesitation. In terms of size versus performance, it's without doubt at the top of it's league, and you won't be disappointed.....

Well done Philips. A high quality, well thought out and awesome speaker.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 September 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have been looking for a suitable bedside dock since my last one broke recently. I use my iPhone as alarm clock and radio next to my bed as well as playing music occasionally in the bedroom too. This dock provides me with that function well.

As soon as I plugged in my iPhone 4 I was prompted to download the Philips Fidelio app from the Apple Appstore. It's an all-in-one app that includes clock, alarm, radio, weather forecast and music functionality in one. The radio part of the app is actually Tune-In Radio and therefore you can get a massive range of radio stations through it. The clock function incorporates weather forecasting and current weather and can be set to stay on with no screen auto-lock. However, I found I had go into the settings to change the brightness just before I wanted to go to sleep, otherwise it was too bright. It's a shame there is no quick way of reducing the brightness. I ended up not keeping the clock on and just pressing the home button of the iPhone when I wanted to know what the time was.

It's worth noting that although the app is handy because it's all in one (you just swipe between the different screens and choose the options you want), you can use any app through the speaker - so you can use any other radio app or the standard iPod function to play music, you are not limited to the Fidelio app. Quality of the sound is good for both music and speech, the radio sounds crisp and clear, just as good as DAB quality.

The dock has an on/off button, volume and extra bass buttons on the top right hand side. The power button is handy because you don't have to leave it on. I always switch it off when I take the phone out of the dock in the morning and switch it back on at bedtime.

It comes with a neoprene case to carry it in with a separate pouch for the power source - a good idea because it means the main unit won't get scratched or scuffed from the plug.

A very nice product and one I would highly recommend.
on 14 January 2012
Hmm... my audio experience is very different to others. Well made, nice looking and easy to use BUT sounds like a towel is over the speaker. Bass is over dominant and the more subtle instruments/spoken voice are muffled and unclear. Even with bass heavy clubbing music you can still tell it's like listening with ear plugs in. Very disappointed - sending back
on 27 May 2013
I have been looking for a reasonably priced, portable Speaker for my iPod Classic for some time and having sifted through most of the options on Amazon - I came across this one. Thanks mainly to the helpful video review by another (satisfied) customer - I decided it would be a good one to go for. It arrived promptly (I did pay extra for First Class Postage) and securely packaged and the minute I unpacked it I was impressed by the usual Philips quality. It looked and felt sturdy and it comes with a practical case for the speaker and one smaller one for plugs etc. The big advantage to me, was that being a total "technophobe" ..... even I found it easy to use ...!! It sounds great - especially considering it's not the top of the range by any means and I found that the Extra Bass function definitely helps on some older tracks. Overall it suits my purposes admirably - i.e. for listening to my own music whenever I travel and even for when I am just moving around the house ..... and to my ear - it's not "tinny" sounding like some other portable speakers that I've owned in the past. Good for Philips for providing a stylish and practical solution for a reasonable and affordable price.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 November 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This Philips docking station is really stylish looking, it comes with a black neoprene carry case with an attachable pocket for storing the power cable and plug which has interchangeable heads so it's suitable for UK and Europe. There's also an included 3.5mm Aux cable for connecting other devices via the headphone socket. The pop out stand on the back runs the full width of the dock and makes the unit quite stable. Hidden away under the stand is the battery compartment (requires 4 x AA batteries-not included).

To use this docking station is simplicity itself, with just three control buttons - Power on, Volume and Dynamic Bass Boost, just attach your iPod to the dock on the front, switch on the power and select your music to listen to. Whilst in use it also charges your iPod.

Amazingly good sound quality - much better than I expected it to be and the bass boost is staggeringly impressive. I often use my iPod to listen to audio books and the clarity of the spoken voice when played on this unit is also superb.

Can't fault this unit,the slim design, dual plug and carry case make it really portable and ideal for home and taking away with you.
on 28 November 2011
I bought this for my wife's birthday, and have been very impressed with the quality of sound reproduction for such a small travel dock. It looks good and works well and the Fidelio app helps to add to the systems usage, even if it is a bit tricky to get used to in the first place.
on 21 December 2012
easy set up, just plug in and go. lightweight and easy to move around/take away. supplied with travel pouch. sound quality good for price
on 27 July 2012
I bought this as a present for my sister recently. When it arrived, I opened the box to check everything was there & in tact, and while it was out, I tried playing something from my Ipod on there. It has a good, full bodied sound with a good bass presence, and the fact it's the size it is & comes with a case will make it brilliant as a travel speaker too.
I was so impressed that I've now requested one for my birthday! (and if I don't get one, I'll buy it myself) :)