4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not quite what it says on the tin
It is a very useful book, but it is not quite what I was looking for - although it could be exactly right for you.

Published on 27 Aug. 2009 by Brian Buckman

3.0 out of 5 stars clear and easy to read
this book is well written, a good start for new comers to linux, what upset me is that the part about apache web server is very brief so I need to buy another book to be able to manage a web server for real
Published on 23 Nov. 2010 by Jamal Shaheen

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not quite what it says on the tin, 27 Aug. 2009
Brian Buckman "Ancient Communications Profess... (Northamptonshire, England) - See all my reviews

I should explain that I am not a programmer, I am a telephone engineer, and have been working with Linux based systems on and off for several years. I have therefore purchased Linux books before. I have also become fairly proficient at working my way round mail servers, Apache, DNS and the like. I am now getting very involved with Centos so was looking for a book that would explain the subtle ways in which Centos differs from the other distros. This book does not really do that.

It is probably an ideal book for somebody who has only very basic ideas about Linux but wants to get stuck in and build their own systems, websites, etc. It is perfect for that. But, if like me, you can muddle your way around Linux already then it doesn't help an awful lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive guide to Centos, 21 July 2009
M. A. Stephens (Devon UK) - See all my reviews
The Definitive guide to Centos is the book I have been waiting for. I have always wanted a book that was easy to read, got me straight to the information I needed so I could get the server up and running or fix the problem or at least understand what the problem was. If you want to build and run your own Centos server and you need help with it then this is the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid overview, 21 July 2009
As a PHP and MySQL web developer I was looking for a no-nonsense guide that would give me a good overview of the CentOS operating system which rapidly seems to becoming the most popular choice for Linux servers.

I was very pleased with the guide and it allowed me to get to grips with some topics that I didn't quite fully understand.

Well written and definitely worth its price.

3.0 out of 5 stars clear and easy to read, 23 Nov. 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars CentOS, Definitive Guide, 23 July 2009
I had been looking at Linux for some time to reduce our dependency on Microsoft and total cost of ownership of our servers but knew absolutely nothing about it. I looked at Red Hat and CentOS, but needed help from the outset.

This book was very well written, it explained CentOS concepts from the beginning, how it sits with Red Hat, how to get it, how to set it up, how to make it work. The writing style makes it very easy to read, it doesn't come across as a technical manual. If you are looking to use CentOS I would most definately recommend this quality book.

Paul Foster
IT Director

2.0 out of 5 stars Short, not very definitive, 29 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Definitive Guide to CentOS (Books for Professionals by Professionals) (Kindle Edition)
As noted in some other reviews, this book is very short. It does give you an installation guide to various common services like Apache, but I don't think it does a very good job of explaining the details of the differences between Centos and other distributions (it does cover some high level differences).

I had been hoping for a guide that would give me all the tools that I need to set up, configure, secure, debug and run CentOS in production, and it doesn't seem to be that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful, 8 Jan. 2013
This covers not just CentOS but many linux basics - and is useful even if using other distros, especially if they are from the Red Hat deviation. It's a useful reference and proved to be much more useful than some accredited online Linux courses.