5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Ruby Book For Beginners, 4 Nov 2010
If you want to learn Ruby and have no previous Object Orientated Programming experience, then this is the book for you, its well written and makes learning both Ruby and programming in general, fun and easy to understand. The book takes you through the basics of OOP, classes, objects and modules, building fun little applications as you go, using all the tools you would need in the real world. I can not recommend this book enough for the beginner and a must read if you want to learn Rails, though once you have read this you will probably want to move on to a more advanced book such as Programming Ruby 1.9: The Pragmatic Programmers' Guide which includes a huge reference section.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 4 Feb 2011
I bought this book to help me learn Ruby for my Web Systems Management Module at University. It explains each section so that you can easily understand the commands with lots and lots of examples. Great section on Cookies and Sessions too which I was struggling with before I got this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, but get the paperback version, 13 Sep 2012
Terry Dunn (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book, and just what I was looking for. Although I have written PHP and TCL code, I didn't know anything about Object Orientated Programming or the Ruby language. And after reading a rails tutorial I was confused by the Ruby commands. But after reading this book, I now understand both. Peter's writing is simple and clear. He has lots of examples and I'm not only enjoying it but learning it quite quickly. But, if you want my advice, get the paperback version. I was part way through the kindle version when it just stopped working. Eventually, amazon support refunded the ebook and I ordered a paperback copy. It was very frustrating because it interrupted my learning with a big gap while I waited for customer support to fix the problem, and then while the postman delivered the paperback version.