on 22 October 2012
I have bought 2 of these drives last week and they were intended for a backup solution using a Synology DS411 NAS Drive, working in parallel. The drives were delivered promptly (last Friday). The packaging was good . BUT as i decided to continue with the installation today (Monday), one of the drives was showing a S.M.A.R.T. failure! This is not acceptable!
The drive is hardly a few days old and I should have listened to the warnings of the previous reviewers!
Dealing with a replacement case now!! NO BACKUP for a few days!
on 26 July 2012
The WD20EARX is an advanced format disk, meaning that it has 4096 byte sectors. Windows XP uses 512 byte sectors, so the disk must operate in 512 byte emulation mode. A disk partition created by Windows XP does not align correctly with the 4096 byte sectors - it is misaligned by 512 bytes. Disk accesses still work in this situation, but internally the disk must do a lot of read-modify-write activity, which slows down the data transfer rate.

Fortunately this disk has a rather neat Windows XP jumper which, when fitted, causes the disk to move its sector boundaries by 512 bytes so that a Windows XP partition is correctly aligned. Now the data transfers happen at the proper speed.

Technical information on the Western Digital website explains how to fit the necessary jumper link.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 January 2013
The only thing you can ever be sure about a hard drive is that at some point it will fail - its just when! I bought this to add to my system as a second drive purely for storing Acronis backups of my main drive. It works very well, transfer speeds are more than adequate and my fan control shows the operating temperature never gets above 27C even when transferring data over a prolonged period (a backup takes a couple of hours). I have owned many different drives from most manufacturers since my first IBM 20mb in the mid 80's and there has not been one maker that stands out from any of the others as far as I am concerned. Until a drive actually fails you don't know how reliable it will be and again from my own experience I have bought 2 identical drives with one failing after a couple of months and the other going on for 4 or 5 years before it started to develop bad sectors.
on 29 September 2011
Purchased as a media drive for making a PC server. It's been faultless from the off with plenty of speed for such work, although I must admit I don't stream much BluRay quality content. It is a doddle to install and just works. Transfer rates are good with no waiting around for movies.

Update:

Still going strong nearly 3 years later. Never had a problem with transfer rates, even for 1080p movies over the network
on 23 January 2013
Received speedily from Amazon (despite them using HNDL) but when I opened it I discovered that it had already been in a computer. While the disk came in a sealed plastic bag, there are deep gouges on the casing suggesting that it had been fitted to a computer previously - and not very expertly either.

True to form, Amazon CS was very good and a new one was dispatched for express delivery (due in the next hour) so I can't fault Amazon.

I have no problem buying a refurbished disk as long as I know that it is such. However, this was sold to me as new so I wasn't going to keep it.

For the sake of those reading this to find out if the disk is any good, I don't yet know so sorry to have wasted your time.
on 18 August 2012
I ordered 2 of these to install in a D-Link NAS in Raid 1 config.
However, I was dismayed to receive them in nothing more that a thin cardboard sleeve.
I simply couldn't believe they used a thin cardboard sleeve to send such fragile components.

Although they both appeared undamaged externally, it remains to be seen if they function correctly once installed.

I did leave a 'frank' feedback message to Amazon.
66 comments|12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 December 2012
5 star product, great value for money. I bought two of these for my home server. Ideal for storing large media files, movies, music and pictures and for an always on PC. If you want a drive for gaming or for accessing and transferring files at a higher rate, I would opt for an SSD, or the black line of Western Digital drives.

I can thoroughly recommend WD drives, very reliable and haven't had one of their units fail on me yet (some are 4 years and counting) so trust these to keep your family picks safe, just don't forget to backup).

My only gripe with these drives is that they are hard to fill up!
on 1 January 2013
The worst thing that can happen is for your data storage additional HD to fail .... so I find it quite intriguing that there are adverse comments re speed.
Anything I have had in the past with 'bells on it' have more to go wrong and generally 'do'.
Only had this fitted a month, if I open a file on it ..... I don't notice it takes a long time to open ?
Maybe people are finding it slow for their pc to open one file amidst 2tb of files ?
I have it partitioned into 4 drives and have not noticed any speed issues.
So far I am very happy with my purchase.
on 10 March 2013
My blank 1TB Hitachi failed on Friday at 6.30pm on a rebuild and with nowhere to obtain a replacement I turned to Amazon and had placed my order by 6.59pm. I spent 5 minutes looking at various deals and selected this drive inhaste. I didn't look at the specs at all knowing that if it wasn't up to mustard It could always be returned.

The drive arrived at 10am Saturday morning and went straight into my old Dell which recognised it. Did a full reinstall of windows 7 without any issue and relaoding all my data now. The drive is astonishingly quiet. The PC fan makes more noise compared to my old Hitachi drive so well pleased on that side. As regards performance the drive is responsive and I've yet to fiddle with any settings to optimise power use. Overall so far I'm pleased.

I've read the other comments about drive speeds,problems and performance and honestly you have to accept that it is impossible to make any electromechanical device that is impervious to failure. I have 4 Hitachi 1TB drives and 1 just failed in 4 years. That may be the equivalent to a 25% failure rate (to me) but that is not a true measure so I think it is more sensible to understand that sometimes things do go wrong and someone will always be on the receiving end of being the person that suffers a drive failure.

What is more important to recognise is support. The manufacturers may well have delays to process RMAs outside the first 12 months but up to then Amazon will take care of you by return which is first class. What they may not pay in UK taxes certainly goes back into customer support! Lol!
VINE VOICEon 16 February 2014
This is an inexpensive internal hard drive, quiet, low power consumption, runs cool, high data capacity, easily a good enough data rate for archived files and music. For a small PC build the Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB ,or higher, drive could be very useful in a dual-drive computer, with one slot filled by a solid state drive (SSD) and the other by the 2TB hard drive. The SSD could be used as a boot and application drive to increase boot-up and load times, and the hard disk drive could be used as the mass storage device.
Please note there is newer version out.