4.0 out of 5 stars Love and death in Los Angeles
In the aftermath of his father's death an artist (Ewan McGregor) meets and falls in love with a young woman (Melanie Laurent). The story proceeds through the first weeks of this relationship with flashbacks on memories of the artist's childhood and of his father's last days. The flashbacks help us understand why McGregor's character is having such a hard time building a...
Published on 10 Aug 2011 by Aidan J. McQuade

3.0 out of 5 stars I found it disappointing
I was looking very forward to seeing this movie after the media buildup, but I found it disappointing and superficial
Published 19 months ago by Forbes

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: Beginners [DVD] (DVD)
As described- what more can I say? Well packaged- exactly what it said on the site. Would recommend as a supplier

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern classic, highly recommendable!, 9 May 2013
This review is from: Beginners [DVD] (DVD)
After a remarkable career, Christopher Plummer changes his game by playing an elderly gay character. A true tour de force. I learned when watching the dvd extras, that the story is based upon the real-life experiences of the screenwriter, and boy, does he have a story to tell.

In modern pictures and tv series, we see gay men as flamboyant, wealthy, sassy,... but I hadn't seen a story about someone who starts his life again as an out gay man, well into his seventies. Such stories should be told more often, in stead of putting gay characters into stereotypical boxes, people should realize that there is much more to us than what is shown today.

Apart from this, I loved the movie in its entirety. The story is well built, the characters are believable and well portrayed, and it has one of the most beautiful love stories I've seen lately. Not only between a boy and a girl, but also between a boy and a father, and a boy and his subtitled dog.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as expected, 14 Dec 2012
This review is from: Beginners [DVD] (DVD)
I had been looking forward to watching this for some time but I was quite disappointed with it 4 more words

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming and Rich, 20 July 2012
M. Jefferies (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beginners [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
A slow moving story that wraps you up in its characters. I love movies that make you think without overt manipulation - this is one of those movies that you "take home with you", when you leave the theater.
Weeks later I still wanted to see it again. Laurent, McGregor, and Plummer all shine, but Goran Visnji almost steals the show. Recommended for those who want more than explosions from their movies.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 20 July 2014
Mrs. D. Greig Smith (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
Thanks

3.0 out of 5 stars Trying Too Hard, 27 Jan 2012
This review is from: Beginners [DVD] (DVD)
I was really disappointed with this film. I wanted it to be brilliant and moving but actually found it a bit . irritating. I think the fault for me was that it felt forced, like the film was trying really hard to be quirky but didn't quite hit the mark.

3.0 out of 5 stars where to begin, 6 Jan 2012
This review is from: Beginners [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I must have watched a different film to the people who gave 4 and 5 stars for this film. I found it to be boring, the best performance in it is Christopher Plumber but I found the film lacked the emotion it was trying to portray. I was thoroughly disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film, 19 Feb 2013
M. Monk (Cambridgeshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beginners [DVD] (DVD)
My husband had been looking for this film so I bought it as a gift to surprise him. We really enjoyed the film and know that it has been a hit with others who have borrowed it. Love Ewan McGregor. Delivered promptly, good service, no issues and it was a good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soultouching piece of art, 7 Jan 2013
This review is from: Beginners [DVD] (DVD)
I like this film very much and I was pretty sad when I saw some reviews..
It is very touching film about deep feelings hidden inside us.
Sadness and love are brilliantly combined, and in the end you can't help yourself, you've got a big smile on your face.
what else you need?
By the way, this film was very good chosen by Ewan, and his role is nice, and his acting is brilliant...if anybody does not get it, I feel sorry for him.
Lovely film with great cast.And dog is adorable.
Worth to see it.Must to see it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beginners, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Beginners [DVD] (DVD)
Grossly overated film. Why he got an award I do not know, was it his turn. Unlike product review, the story line is not clear. Poorly written and directed. Don't waste your money like I did. Don't believe the hype

Beginners [DVD]
Beginners [DVD] by Mike Mills (DVD - 2011)
3.56