5.0 out of 5 stars Acer 5750G
I have been looking for a really high spec laptop that would not cost me a fortune. I found this with the Acer 5750G, and it has not disapointed yet. The cost is great value for money, a comparable spec laptop from either Sony or samsung would of cost hundreds more. Opening the package on arrival, the laptop was suprisingly good looking and sleek for an Acer...
Published on 29 May 2011 by JK

1.0 out of 5 stars Purchasers Beware
Published on 26 Jun 2011 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Acer 5750G, 29 May 2011

My likes and dislikes: I like the flat keys it makes a nice change, only draw back could be if any crumbs fall inbetween the keys and get stuck underneath. The sound quality is'nt the best it does sound very tinny, however if you can look past this it does make for a very fast and efficient lap top that makes light work of any game or application.

I am more impressed than I thought I would be an give this lap top a big thumbs up!

As for Amazon I can not praise the speed of delivery high enough, my new laptop arrived 11hrs after placing the order.

1.0 out of 5 stars Purchasers Beware, 26 Jun 2011
This review is from: Acer Aspire 5750 15.6 inch Notebook (Intel Core i7-2630QM Processor, 4 GB RAM , 500 GB HDD, DVD-Super Multi DL drive, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit) - Black (Personal Computers)
Purchasers Beware. The 500GB HD model is not the Acer Aspire 5750G it is the 5750 model which has an integrated graphics card. The Amazon page is very misleading as the item, customer reviews and specifications all refer to the Acer ASPIRE 5750G and then when you order you are given the option of whether you want 650G HD , 500G HD or 420G HD. I saw that I could save 100 by opting for the 500G HD not realising that this option has totally different specifications including an integrated grahics card and not the Nivada Graphics card. This computer was a present for my son who wanted it for gaming and whilst it is a good laptop it is not suitable for gaming. Don't be misled and Amazon sort out how you sell these Laptops because they are totally different models and you are misleading customers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Freakin Deal!, 22 Jun 2011
P. Correia (UK) - See all my reviews
I got the 5750 version with i7-2630qm processor, 4gb pc3-10600 (1333mhz), wd hdd 500gb and integrated intel hd-3000.

This laptop has 2 memory banks (one is empty) which will allow for very easy memory upgrade to 8gb ram.

Windows experience ratings:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz 7,4
Memory (RAM) 8,00 GB 7,6
Graphics Intel(R) HD Graphics Family 6,3
Gaming graphics 1760 MB Total available graphics memory 6,3
Primary hard disk 363GB Free (451GB Total) 5,8

I've been able to play most current games at full hd (1080p) using low or medium settings, it's really an all round winner.

I believe you can save some money and forget about the 2nd graphic card (nvidia or ati) which don't bring much boost in performance, overheats your laptop, creates many driver conflicts (read some specific forums), and most time (95%) it will still use hd-3000 by default, specially when on battery.

This model is very silent, doesn't get too hot, good built quality and nice clear monitor. The only drawback is the keyboard which I don't like (although probably fine for most users).

Overall I'm very happy.

2.0 out of 5 stars inadequate customer support, 17 Sep 2011
This machine does not dissappoint when it comes to performance, but that's where the good part ends.

The RAM started failing at random times after only a couple of months. I have chosen to contact customer support by email to avoid their very high premium rate phone number. While they do reply promptly (less than 24 hours), most of what I've received has been completely irrelevant standard replies (for example asking me to restore the system from factory settings, when I had just mentioned I had already tried that), and this has been going on for over a week now.

Also, the spacebar on the keyboard has gone very stiff and noisy after a few months of light use.

In addition to faulty hardware and inadequate customer support, the laptop also comes with a multitute of pre-installed software which serves to slow down what is otherwise a very powerful laptop, none of which I have found useful. The antivirus software was particularly annoying, kept pestering me to 'activate' to keep it up to date, and when I did so tried to sell me the very thing it had earlier claimed I would get for free by 'activating'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 15 July 2011
Alex Thorn - See all my reviews
I purchased this with the 4gb of RAM and 640gb HDD. I also bought an extra 4GB of RAM which only cost 40 quid and boosted my RAM up to 8GB instead of 4.

Overall this laptop is good looking and very fast. One thing i don't like though is the way it switches from intel graphics to the nvidia card. I find it hard to know wether its using one or the other. I have also had opengl problems with my animation programme so i would be a bit careful if your a 3d animator.

Best thing about this is the very fast i7 quad core cpu which shows up as 8 cores in most software. I do a lot of video editing in Adobe premire pro and After effects and it shows up as 8 cores and utilizes them. I have notised a large speed increase com pared to my old intel core 2 quad pc. The battery life is good and so is the video card when its working.

If your a gamer i have managed to run COD 4 MW1 on high settings in full 1080p on an external monitor. The laptop monitor is only 720p so you won't be able to run it in 1080p on that but i think the fact that it will play 1080p on highest setting is a good testament to its gaming abilities. I have however not tryed any newer games as i am not really a gamer.

another small drawback is the 5400rpm HDD which is no where near as fast as my old 7200rpm at copying things. However the USB3 does make up for some of that so use it whenever possible.

Touchpad and clicker are very good and responsive and the keyboard is lovely to type on although not the best for gaming as the keys are queit small. The sound isnt even too bad for a laptop.

So Good looking, great processor, easy RAM upgrade, high index scores, great gaming, brilliant USB3, good sound, good dvd drive.

Only bad things, confusing graphics, low resolution screen (should be 1080p), no Blu-Ray player.

O yea and HD webcam is pretty good too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Laptop - Linux Users Beware, 4 Sep 2011
Firstly I cannot fault the laptop. I have been using mine for a few weeks now and the hardware performs as well as the other good reviews state. It is an excellent laptop, especially for the price. The screen is noticeably sub-par, but then that will not bother you once you get used to it unless you really need a good screen, and when I need a good screen I just plug one in to the VGA or HDMI anyway.
However, buyers assuming that because it has an NVIDIA GPU that there will be a linux driver (as I did) please do your research before buying.
I have been using linux for over ten years and I have come to rely on NVIDIA, and my experience in getting linux to use their GPU's but believe me, although there are hacks to get some hybrid graphics on some hardware to work with linux, at the moment there is no way to do it with this particular laptop.
At the time of writing this review, NVIDIA have stated that they do not intend to support the optimus hardware used in this laptop, in linux.
There are open source efforts underway to work around this U-turn re NVIDIAs policy on linux support, but none that currently work for this variety of optimus technology.
So what I was hoping would be a great all-round laptop for my productivity has now been relegated to a Windows gaming laptop.
As a Windows gaming laptop it does a great job. I want to make it clear that if you just want to use Windows then this is a great laptop.
Users who have come to expect to be able to buy a cheap laptop with NVIDIA GPU and kick off windows and put linux on it - beware. Research if there have been drivers developed before you buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Machine and great service, 5 Aug 2011
This machine was a gift from my son to his dad, so I did not want to let him spend a fortune but I still wanted power. This Acer gave me what I wanted. The laptop is solid quality, is fast and although the screen is brilliant, it gives me no problem.
The service from Amazon is perfect: got the laptop free of shipment cost while it came by signed for packet mail in just a couple of days. I can only recommend Amazon and this Acer laptop.

3.0 out of 5 stars High Processing rubbish sound, 28 Jun 2011
Spec is great for the price. I use a lot of multimedia and used this laptop to replace an old Acer from about 5 years ago. While I've been able to see a clear step up in processing speed two things have let this purchase down:

1. Sound output is really poor (much worse than my old acer) the depth of sound is really bad and the power output is poor on the sound channel Vs old acer.
2. Acer just love to put all their extra programmes on, and there are a lot! This seem to make the operating system unstable, so am planning to wipe the hard drive and re-install my own copy of Windows...

Overall, love the spec for the price, but would like acer to fix the two points above.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best laptop deal in Amazon, 8 Jan 2012
I must disclaim at the outset that I'm an Ubuntu Linux user, so I did not interact with any of the software that comes pre-installed in this laptop, so this is a review of the hardware only. That said, even if you do use windows, hopefully you have the good sense to remove all the crapware I'm sure it comes loaded with.

Anyway, this unit really is amazing. It's very light as far as these things go (though my old laptop was 4+ years old, so my terms of comparison may not be the most useful here), and the build quality seems good. I'm not that happy with the widescreen, as for a 15 inch laptop, vertical space is severely limited. It just takes some getting used to, but if this is important to you, beware. That said, the screen quality is very good, colours are bright, the works. The trackpad is one of the best I've ever used, though I still prefer using an external mouse: this is my own hangup though, I'm just not a big fan of trackpads. The keyboard is very good, keys aren't cramped together and you can get clear tactile feedback! There is an actual numpad, which is kind of hard to get used to though.

Now I'm not a gamer: I don't even play Solitaire, so I'm not bothered at all by the lack of a discrete graphics card in this unit. FWIW, it works great for playing even HD video, so if you don't play any games, or just play ones that aren't graphics intensive, don't spend an extra 200 quid for a discrete card. Intel graphics have really come a long way in the last few years, and of course, for Linux users, we can use full featured Free and Open Source drivers.

The unit comes with 4GB of RAM, which isn't very satisfactory: it could use some more, as it could use more hard drive space than the existing 500GB. That said, both things are very easy to upgrade, so they don't bother me that much. The build in speakers are fairly good, but I do tend to use external ones.

Of course, what makes this unit such an amazing deal is the quad-core Core i7 CPU. It absolutely flies and makes computing an absolute joy. If you're like me and need to do CPU intensive operations (like mathematical software, which I need as a grad student), but don't want to waste money on gaming things you don't use like discrete graphics, this is your baby, and it's an amazing bargain.

I mentioned at the outset I'm a Linux user, and as such, I'm happy to report that every piece of included hardware works absolutely fine out of the box (in Ubuntu 11.10 with a 3.0 kernel), with no third party closed source drivers needed; and the wireless card does not require any binary firmware, so even if you're as hardcore as they come regarding that, you can still be happy with this baby.

In conclusion, I heartily recommend this unit, you won't regret your purchase.

PS - The package was originally sent via City Link which seem to have lost it, kudos to Amazon for the awesome costumer support that ensured a new unit was sent to me at no extra cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal Workhorse, 2 July 2011
Julie Smith (UK) - See all my reviews
I wanted this as a desktop replacement and have been delighted with it so far (4 weeks).

I'm not a games player but do some video editing, development, run databases, test web sites and never have less than 10 apps running at the same time so I wanted a laptop with a reasonable processor.

I transferred all my data and settings from an older Vista laptop with the built in Windows 7 transfer program so this isn't a "clean" setup. It still boots in just 20 seconds and even better shuts down as quickly. Sounds daft but my Vista laptop could take 3 minutes to shut down! Some of this is windows 7 but when compared side by side with an equally expensive laptop with an older (four months old!, non-Sandy Bridge i5 2.6GHz) laptop, it's appreciably faster.

Good looking, robust, light enough to carry around between rooms and on road trips (that doesn't mean it's light!), powerful enough to beat pretty much any desktop more than a year old and a reasonable battery - what more can you ask for?

Other thoughts
- Keyboard is a bit risky for crumbs between keys but at least you can hover it up easily.
- I don't think the sound is too bad - maybe I don't expect too much from a laptop?
- Numeric keyboard is good if you're entering loads of numbers (Next orders ;-) or doubles up as a larger cursor pad.
- Webcam is fine for skype.
- HDMI is good for a decent iPlayer performance with your TV
- Typical battery life of around 3+ hours which is OK
- Screen viewing angles not too bad horizontally (so you can show one or two people your screen)
- Textured finish means you don't spend your whole life polishing it

And as others have mentioned it looks pretty smart / business-like.

Negatives
- Too many rubbish games and add-ons which you need to remove - but only took 30 minutes
- Wish some of the ports where at the back rather than the side so it looks less cluttered when connected up (2nd screen, mouse, network and power cables - all on the side)

Like it and don't forget Amazon's brilliant customer service if anything does go wrong (they've just saved me when Samsung did their now familiar diabolical customer UN service with another laptop)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›