5.0 out of 5 stars An hilarious audio book
This review is for the AUDIO BOOK version of The Dark Tourist - unfortunately Amazon have lumped the audio reviews in with the book reviews and there is no place to review them separately.

Published on 4 Feb 2012 by D. Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but deeply flawed
It's been a while since I read any sort of "travel" book so when I saw the unconventional cover of "Dark Tourist" by Dom Joly on the library shelves I was intrigued. I am a fan of Trigger Happy TV, I like Dom Joly in general, I like unusual, quirky tales and I like reading war correspondence. "That's worth a look," I thought; right up my street.

Well, I did...
Published on 9 Mar 2012 by CitizenWolfie

5.0 out of 5 stars An hilarious audio book, 4 Feb 2012
D. Jones (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Dark Tourist: Sightseeing in the World's Most Unlikely Holiday Destinations (Unabridged) (Audio Download)

This is one of the funniest audio books I have listened to in ages. It is also one of the most addictive I've purchased to date, I listened to all 7 hours in just two afternoons - something I have never done with an audio book before.

Dom Joly in one of his many occupations works as a travel writer and as a consequence he gets to travel to many interesting and fascinating places around the world. However, not content with the standard tourist attractions, Mr Joly decides that it might be interesting to visit some rather obscure destinations - would you have ever considered skiing in Iran?

He dedicates one chapter to each destination and narrates his journey, or at least the memorable parts - of which there are many - with his own special brand of very dry humour. He manages to bring places that most of us will never get the chance to go to (nor probably wish to) in vivid detail.

He also manages to pull off an astounding range of authentic sounding accents when he plays the part of one of the locals. I defy anyone not to laugh at his account of his interview with an American security agent after landing at the airport. I was laughing constantly as he played the part of the disbelieving guard during the 'interview'

His vivid description of his escape whilst being chased around the JFK museum was enough to make my eyes water. He is probably on the list of 'America's most wanted' after his heinous felony of taking an unauthorised photograph out of a window.

If you enjoy audio books and you would like to find out a little more about the darker side of tourism this is definitely one to think about buying. Each chapter lasts approximately 1 hour and once you start a new chapter you will want to listen right to the end.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where Bill Bryson fears to tread., 3 Sep 2010
Highly recommended. Dom travels beyond the radius of Ryan Air's reach and gives us a literary photo album of his exploits travelling through the atmospheric North Korea (to the extent possible for a foreigner), Cambodia, Lebanon, Iran and USA. Though laugh out loud funny in parts, I would say the books main attraction was its interesting ability, through scary and funny travel anecdotes, to give the reader the feeling of what it is like to be there, without the actual travel. I like anything that overcomes the media stereotype for a particular travel location (though his trip to North Korea actually reinforced my media derived image).

Iran's always been on my "to do" list, now its near the top.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real page turner, 4 Jan 2011
I couldn't put this book down. Very funny, and occasionally surprisingly moving, it takes you on a whirlwind tour of some of the world's darkest political regimes, war zones, disasters and assassination sites. This isn't a serious travel guide, or in-depth current affairs analysis, but is hugely entertaining and gives a real sense of each of the places he visits. Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars HILARIOUS HOLIDAYS, 6 Sep 2010
I picked this up, not knowing what to expect. I was a big Trigger Happy Tv fan but didn't know if this would be to my taste. I LOVED IT. The book is well written- very funny and informative without being preachy. Dom travels the world going to some curious destinations and getting into all sorts of scrapes. He skis in Iran and gets drunk on "Pizza" (Iranian moonshine). He goes on a road trip across the USA visiting the scenes of various assassinations. He takes a weekend break in Chernobyl and gets stuck in a lift. He goes to Cambodia and tries to buy Pol Pot;s shoes before ending up in a war crimes trial. In North Korea he thinks he;s been targeted by the secret service as his testicle swells up to a huge size. Finally in Lebanon he tries to get to the truth about being at school with Bin Laden and plays paintball with Hezbollah

BRILLIANT BOOK- BUY THIS....

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-chosen Christmas present, 14 Jan 2011
My 26-year old was surprised by and delighted with this Christmas present. He spent many hours reading it over his Christmas holidays, a perfect way to pass the time in front of the fire while outside it was snowy and cold. He's gone back to his own home now, and I'm just waiting for him to visit and hopefully bring it with him for me to 'borrow'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Raced through it, 5 Dec 2010
Received this book on a Monday and must have finished it by the weekend which is very quick for me especially when I try to read slower to make them last longer. The places visited in this book are described in an excellent and funny way but my only little problem is that the book is too short and it would have been nice to include a few more places bringing the page count to a more worthwhile 350 pages. Places included are: Iran, USA, Cambodia, Ukraine, North Korea and Lebanon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable and readable, 24 Sep 2010
Mark Dabbs "Mark Dabbs" (Walsall, England) - See all my reviews
Bought this book after having attended one of Mr Joly's talks at Nottingham - then saw him again at Birmingham and he remembered - I think he thought I might be stalking him, sorry Dom, the Walsall scarf did not help. Read it in just over a day and a morning. Enjoyed the chapters on Iran and North Korea, but felt he could have gone to better places such as Yemen, Angola, Myanmar and the like for the other sections. Easy on the eye to read and having read many books on Korea and travelled to Iran and some of the places he had seen they did not expose anything else I did not already know. However, I may find myself getting another of his books one of these days as he did inject some humour and have some funny stories to tell.

5.0 out of 5 stars a Joly good book !, 20 Jun 2011
After seeing Dom Joly on his recent tour i decided to buy the book. The sytle of writing makes it an easy and amusing book, you can almost hear Dom narrating you through it. Its a great read !

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic!, 16 Sep 2010
There's not many books i'd give 5 stars to.. but this piece of reading has it all! I a a big Dom Joly fan, I think his comedy is great and Trigger Happy TV still gets me in fits of giggles after watching it for the 100th time. I'm not a travel book fan, but seeing a promotion in the newpaper for this I thought I'd give it a go.

I had no great knowledge of any of the countries in question (apart from America) and so this book really was enlightening, especially for me. He explains the history of the places he visits beforehand, so even if you don't really know anything, you will come out of reading this book with some knowledge. The book is of course hilarious, but he mixes it with the right mixture of humour, honesty and history.

I'd recommend this to everyone. 5*s!

4.0 out of 5 stars witty interesting and bursting with imagery and facts. thanks Dim or whatever your name is., 10 Aug 2014
Dim Trolly creates visions of a world full of humour and tragedy. A book full of facts and exploration which has you reaching for the atlas and Wikipedia. Learnt and laughed in equal amounts. Anyone who enjoys travel the weird and macabre or just wants to understand a little bit more about the idiocy of mankind will love this book.