5.0 out of 5 stars So you think you know HA and DRS...
Published on 14 Mar 2011 by Michael Armstrong (m80arm)

3.0 out of 5 stars It Will Help Get You Started
Gives a good account to get one started and handy to have for reference but the best way to learn stuff will always be 'hands on'.
Published 14 months ago by Dr. Gary D. Gorton

5.0 out of 5 stars So you think you know HA and DRS..., 14 Mar 2011
well unless you've read this book then you probably dont know as much as you think. Duncan and Frank have done an excellant job diving into the inner workings of HA and DRS. The first 10 chapters refer to High Availability with the remaining 9 solely for DRS - That's a lot of chapters. The book is well written with excellant diagrams to visually represent the information. Chances are you take HA and DRS for granted as you simply enable it out of the box and it just works. If you are really interested in knowing how they really work to better prepare yourself then read this book.

I'm now off to hassel my boss to purchase another blade chassis so we can split our primary cluster nodes across two chassis :)

Michael

3.0 out of 5 stars It Will Help Get You Started, 24 Oct 2013
Dr. Gary D. Gorton (Timbuktu) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VMware vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS technical deepdive (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, perfect technical level., 21 Jun 2013
P. Joseph (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
An excellent level of technical detail is presented here. This book gives you exactly what you need to have a true understanding of how the features described really work.

More than this it also provides real world advice on what to change and what not to change.

The design considerations presented regarding distribution of multiple clusters across multiple blade chassis was also very insightful.

I would recommend this title to anybody interested in really understanding the details of HA and DRS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading., 1 Mar 2013
If you're going to do clusters in VMware and you want to make them work properly, then this is an absolute must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch book - highly recommended, 23 April 2011
Nigel (Sandbach, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Firstly, I'm an infrastructure architect with a focus on storage, and I like technical material. I've no time for marketing and I don't care for material that contains inaccuracies and waffle.

With that in mind, this is a great book and I recommend it to anyone needing to understand VMware HA and DRS.

The chapters are very short and sharp, making it easy to read. I'm a big reader of technical books and short sharp chapters like these make it easy for me to pick up any time I only have minutes free and cover one or two chapters.

I've just finished skim reading it cover to cover and didn't notice any mistakes - which is quite strange. Mistakes annoy me, and fortunately this book didn't have any that jumped out at me, so top marks there.

My only gripe with this book is that it only covers the topics of HA and DRS - but I can't really complain as it is in the title ;-) However, I did speak with the authors and tried to encourage them to compile a more comprehensive work, but sadly such a task is huge (which I appreciate). Shame, as I've enjoyed this work so much that if they came to market with anything else I'd definitely buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. An enjoyable and useful read., 15 Mar 2011
Duncan and Frank have done a great job with this book. Not only is it easy to read, it is full of detailed information that will enable the reader to make informed decisions during the design and implementation stages of a VMware vSphere deployment. I thought I had a pretty decent handle on HA and DRS, however this book certainly helped to fill in some blanks. The DPM material was an added bonus. The appendix at the end contains some concise design principles too!

Every systems administrator, consultant or tech with an interest in VMware vSphere should read this book. You'll definately pick up something no matter your level of experience.